Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke with my tutor/head of department about me having SA and the fact it might have contributed to my poor grades in four modules over the last two years of uni, and he's saying I have grounds for appeal. This means my results could be withdrawn, null & void and I could take them again because my results were skewed with an unknown illness that has only just been revealed to them.

Need to get a 'needs assessment' from my counsellor to send to the head so they can figure out what route to take for the appeal, and how they can sort out my final year so I don't fail that too.

I should feel happy, that I might be able to get better grades by no working in groups/lab (this is the bit where I got my least marks). But I feel it's a lot of hassle, bringing me into centre of attention and admitting there is something wrong aswell as publically telling people about me.

I just want to cry because I still feel I'm making this up, it's too much hassle and people will know! And I just feel why should I appeal, I'm just crap at uni. :blank

·
Banned
309 Posts
Don't feel bad, you deserved that good grade for all the work you did outside of lab. :) plus, i know that many of my professors actually are glad when they know about it, because they are concerned and want what's best for the student. SA is a serious problem, and professors are glad to accomadate

·
Registered
13 Posts
You are too hard on yourself. Nobody is crap at uni. If you've managed to get into that course, it's only because of the fact that whoever at the university manages admissions, has faith in the fact that you are capable of doing well.

Having SA is probably making you feel handicapped, and even though it does not show, I am sure you have to explain it to a lot of people. But don't be afraid. Think of it as one of the smaller problems in your massive life. If you have a chance of improving your grades, you should take it as it will be beneficial to you and only you. Your professors or the head or the committee or whoever is assessing the situation, is only going to assess what's best for you. S/he is not there to judge, so don't be anxious about what s/he is thinking about you. I am sure that person has a lot worse things going on in their lives. Think of it this way - everyone has their own problems.

If you feel like crying, do it. There is no better stress reliever than crying. Then ask yourself, if you're crying, how could you be making all this up?

About people coming to know, since it's a medical condition, if you disclose it to your prof/head, s/he will not be authorized to discuss about it (except with the committee discussing your future, of course) as that would be illegal. Thus nobody except the people discussing your future and the ones you tell will know about your condition.

I hope you understand that this is about your future and any step you take toward appealing your case is a step forward.

Good luck!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know it sounds like I'm being hard but to me it sounds true. I've never been a grade A student and anything I've supposed to remember I never can. It's silly little things like I read all about smoke alarms for one assignment in college about 3 years ago, and I remember how it works etc but anything on my course just goes in one ear and out the other.

I recieved the copy of what my counsellor has sent to my tutor, and I think I'm gonna go and see him tomorrow between my other lectures to see what I've got to do. If I need anything else. I think I have to go and speak to someone else at uni about the appeal.

Also I know it's to help me, but seems too much hassle and brings me into centre of attention which I don't want.

I think in my mind I'm labelling myself and feel a failure. I think i'm in denial that I have a problem. I go from accepting it to completely dismissing it although I know it troubles me.

I'm now scared that my friends'll find out. I'm already lying to them when I go and see the counsellor. They know my timetable, and I've pretended to have extra practicals.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know it sounds like I'm being hard but to me it sounds true. I've never been a grade A student and anything I've supposed to remember I never can. It's silly little things like I read all about smoke alarms for one assignment in college about 3 years ago, and I remember how it works etc but anything on my course just goes in one ear and out the other.

I recieved the copy of what my counsellor has sent to my tutor, and I think I'm gonna go and see him tomorrow between my other lectures to see what I've got to do. If I need anything else. I think I have to go and speak to someone else at uni about the appeal.

Also I know it's to help me, but seems too much hassle and brings me into centre of attention which I don't want.

I think in my mind I'm labelling myself and feel a failure. I think i'm in denial that I have a problem. I go from accepting it to completely dismissing it although I know it troubles me.

I'm now scared that my friends'll find out. I'm already lying to them when I go and see the counsellor. They know my timetable, and I've pretended to have extra practicals.
It doesn't matter if you were never an A grade student. Most people aren't. What matters is that you do the best you can and do everything you can to make sure you get the highest possible marks/grades. If you're having trouble remembering things, read about how to maximize your memory. Here is a list of simple steps you can follow to ensure you have a good memory:

1. http://www.wikihow.com/Improve-Your-Memory
2. http://www.mindtools.com/memory.html

If you realize that it's not your memory but your writing skills, see your prof and ask him if there is an on campus facility where you can learn academic writing. Make sure you know that Academic writing is different to other styles of writing and will teach you how to answer your papers.

When you feel you don't want to be in a centre of attention, just keep telling yourself that this will only benefit you. Ultimately, you are doing this for your own good, so why should you have a bad future because of what you THINK others MIGHT or MIGHT NOT think about you/your condition? Right?

You need to be positive. Negativity helps nobody. If you think you're being Negative reverse that thought process. Try to convince yourself that you are not a failure. I wrote about this in another thread - SMALL VICTORIES. They go a long way. If you do well in a tutorial, Quiz, Mid-term, pat yourself on the back (mentally of course, unless you're flexible ;) ). If you say something that everyone in your friends circle likes, again pat yourself. Smallest of things can go a long way in building your confidence. Try it!

As for your friends, if they really are your friends, I suggest you speak your mind to them. One, because it will make YOU feel better. It will take a burden off your chest that will ultimately help you in several ways. Two, your friends will realize that you trust them which will in turn strengthen your bond with them and will make you realize that you can tell them anything you want. This is a VERY effective way of releasing stress. Trust me, you don't want to build all that stress. It has mental, as well as physical side-effects.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm off to speak with my tutor and someone higher up in the uni who deals with appeals etc. Feel so nervous, and half of me just wants say sorry for wasting their time and I don't want to go through with it.

I might tell my friends, but not sure they'd understand or go blurting it round to everyone else like most of the things I tell them.

I'm going to ahve a look at those websites, and I'm planning on starting my revision early this year aswell as attend extra lectures so I understand.

I'm trying to get more positive, but everytime I read something in class or have to do an activity, it looks so hard. I'd rather give up than actually try and do it. I think that it's beyond me, and I shouldn't be learning at this level.

Here it goes...

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
I just want to cry because I still feel I'm making this up, it's too much hassle and people will know! And I just feel why should I appeal, I'm just crap at uni. :blank
Yeah, I felt this way too, but in the end I used my uni's version of this appeal system for a course I worried I might fail. And they accepted my reason of SA. Its definitely worth a shot. I had already been to a counsellor about my SA by then, but I still felt like it may look like I'd made it all up. The only people who'll now are the HOD, the counsellor and a few others. I don't think they go around gossiping about these things and they'll respect your privacy. Go for it and goodluck :).

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was wondering if I should do the same thing.. any tips on how to go about this?

EDIT: I've never been diagnosed with anything and I'm guessing some documentation is necessary.

·
Banned
424 Posts
I had already been to a counsellor about my SA by then, but I still felt like it may look like I'd made it all up. The only people who'll now are the HOD, the counsellor and a few others. I don't think they go around gossiping about these things and they'll respect your privacy.
I've been seeing someone for years & still feel as though I'm making it up, I'm guessing that's fairly common. I believe they're legally required to respect your privacy.
I was wondering if I should do the same thing.. any tips on how to go about this?

EDIT: I've never been diagnosed with anything and I'm guessing some documentation is necessary.
yea, loads of documentation. They make this as difficult as they can, in my experience anyway.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
I only did this for exams and tests (I didn't look into other ways). Basically this is for when, in my case, SA affected my performance in an individual exam.

This is what my uni website says:

Aegrotat Consideration - for temporary illness or injury Temporary illness or injury which prevents a person from sitting an examination, or which seriously impairs either examination preparation or examination performance, can be taken into account if suitable evidence is provided.
The completed form with medical evidence should be returned to the Student Health and Counselling Services at the relevant campus no later than 7 days after the affected examination or 7 days after the last examination to be considered.
IMPORTANT: If you are applying for an aegrotat on the grounds of a DNS or on impaired performance you MUST see a registered medical practitioner either on the day of the exam, or on the day before or after the examination affected. If you are applying for impaired preparation you must have seen a registered medical practitioner in the fortnight prior to the affected exam.

Compassionate Consideration - for events other than illness Exceptional circumstances beyond a student's control which prevent the sitting of an examination, or which seriously impair either examination preparation or performance, can be taken into account if suitable evidence is provided.
The completed form with the appropriate evidence should be returned to the Student Health and Counselling Service at the relevant campus no later than 7 days after the affected examination or 7 days after the last examination to be considered.

Eligibility for an Aegrotat or Compassionate pass
  1. Medical or other evidence
    The medical or other evidence submitted must be sufficient to make it clear that either:
    a) you were unable to attend the examination, or
    b) your performance was seriously impaired at the time of the examination. If you are applying for an aegrotat on the grounds of a DNS or on impaired performance you MUST see a registered medical practitioner either on the day of the examination, or on the day before or after the examination affected. If examination preparation is seriously impaired, a registered medical practitioner or counsellor should be seen within a fortnight before the examination.

If the medical or other evidence is insufficient, a letter will be sent informing you that your application has been declined.

If the medical evidence is sufficient, the department will be asked to present evidence of your coursework.
  2. Academic performance
    a) The department must certify that the applicant's work during the course of instruction is well above minimum pass standard; and
    b) The Head of Department must be able to certify that the mark in the examination is lower than expected, taking coursework into account.

If the Department recommends a pass or a change in your grade, Senate will consider this, together with your overall record and the recommendation from Student Health and Counselling and will approve the final grade.
Important: no more than one third of the total points' value credited to a degree or diploma may be awarded with an aegrotat or compassionate grade.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Your school/college/Uni may need different things than mine. But my head of dept and the disablity advisor both know and believe me. I just need to provide medical documentation, so a letter confirming it from my GP and the process can go ahead.

I haven't really been 'diagnosed' with it, but when I went to my doctor about it, he just kinda agreed with me and said I was doing the right thing with seeing a counsellor and to come back in a few weeks if I was still the same (Like SA was really going to disappear like a cold in a few weeks!!!)

Unfortunately I couldn't get an appointment today, I've got to ring up in the morning to book a 'book on day appointment' as there are no prebooking going on!

I can only appeal the one exam I failed last year, although I failed two but had to do the resit in August and just managed to pass it.

I still feel like I wanna just run back to uni and say I'm wasting their time and I'm lying but I know it's not true. Once I had left uni, I went shopping and bought a new top just to treat myself as I felt crap. I don't like drawing attention to myself, and me talking to my tutors etc and even getting the HIGHER up uni people involved... It's going way over my head, and I regret starting this. Although I KNOW it will help me in the long run and I might get a decent degree out of this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts