Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is all because of hesitation and overanalyzing the crap out of every situation I encounter, but I seem to have a problem just doing menial tasks that everyone else seems to instinctively do without a second thought. Like, uh, walking in a straight line. In my school the halls are always crowded, but everyone seems to weave effortlessly through the masses of students while I either try to inch along the wall or constantly bump into people. It's basically like that everywhere I go, even grocery stores - I always seem to be in someone else's way. It's just because I have no freaking clue where to go, which way to go, because if I go that way, will it be wrong? Will I look like a complete moron? Just a few weeks ago I went to a movie with my boyfriend; it was pretty clear which door to go through but I hesitated and waited for some other people to go so I could be absolutely sure. Because what if I was wrong? That would be humiliating. It's not just that. I never remember where we park in parking lots. I couldn't give you directions if my life depended on it. I'm clumsy. Driving is the most terrifying thing in the world; I don't understand it at all. Just...aahhh. :afr Is there anyone else like this?

·
Registered
442 Posts
I don't have a severe problem with walking like you do but I do lack spatial awareness in a lot of other wacky places that usually cracks me up. For instance, I can get easily lost when walking into a new university I've never gone to while I see many of my friends or co-workers immediately know how to navigate through these uncharted territories. I also have a hard time with directions and remembering where things are. *shrugs*

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
I don't know if this is all because of hesitation and overanalyzing the crap out of every situation I encounter, but I seem to have a problem just doing menial tasks that everyone else seems to instinctively do without a second thought. Like, uh, walking in a straight line. In my school the halls are always crowded, but everyone seems to weave effortlessly through the masses of students while I either try to inch along the wall or constantly bump into people. It's basically like that everywhere I go, even grocery stores - I always seem to be in someone else's way. It's just because I have no freaking clue where to go, which way to go, because if I go that way, will it be wrong? Will I look like a complete moron? Just a few weeks ago I went to a movie with my boyfriend; it was pretty clear which door to go through but I hesitated and waited for some other people to go so I could be absolutely sure. Because what if I was wrong? That would be humiliating. It's not just that. I never remember where we park in parking lots. I couldn't give you directions if my life depended on it. I'm clumsy. Driving is the most terrifying thing in the world; I don't understand it at all. Just...aahhh. :afr Is there anyone else like this?
I do pretty much all of this stuff. I can weave between people only if I have someone to follow, or if I've been drinking :roll. Of course it's easier then. But yeah, I've lost my car in parking lots for hours. It's as though I switch off my mind as soon as I close the car door. I'm good at finding my way to new places without following the directions, but I'm TERRIBLE at reversing them lol. That involves following an order of operations, which is my worst skill lol.

·
Endless Redemption
989 Posts
I'm the same way at work. I work at a small coffee shop so you're constantly having to avoid bumping into co-workers. Even just picking things up and placing them elsewhere makes me feel completely retarded. I believe it's just over analyzing everything.

Sometimes what makes me feel better is if I just stop, take a deep breath, slowly tell myself in my head to just relax, and just kind of gather my wits for a second. Then continue on in a more relaxed attitude.

It's getting better slowly but surely. If you just keep telling yourself to relax and not worry so much about it then it will come.

Some lyrics from a song I like that I find motivational--

"Everybody thinks they know best,
clear your head of bad advice,
take your cues from deep inside,
do something wrong,
do something right."

Nobody is perfect so if we do screw up, just accept the fact that you made a mistake and you learned from it, then you can do it right the next time. :D

I hope this helps even if it's just a little. ^^

674 Posts
Bahahaha this thread is so me. If I've never gone somewhere before, and I'm setting out to drive there without somebody beside me for directions, I'll sooner end up in Mongolia before I find where I'm looking for. Also when going through doorways I bump in to the sides of them all the time. I used to think all of this was normal until I opened my eyes a bit a few years ago.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I never really thought of it before but in school , In advance I would run it through my head the quickest path and as soon as the bell rung I'd take off like a rocket and just push (not physically) my way through as fast as possible without drawing too much attention but the quicker I got to the next class the less people I had to deal with and avoid any confrontations .

I think this is worse for me now , I do forget where I park and such but What I have found is that I forget because my mind is too preoccupied with facing people in the store . As I have gotten older public places (stores and such) dont bother me as much , I zone out into "my" world and totally ignore the fact that others are in the store while still respecting there space , but people can be so damn rude they act as if they are the only people in the store and anybody else( how dare them) there is in the way . This is where I'm not shy at all it's almost a paradox I will speak up to rude people when pushed , I defend my feelings no problem . My pet peeve is dam Wal-mart people whip around the isles with there buggies then look at you like " oh my god get out of the way how dare some one else block my path " The next time a buggie touches me I swear I'm gonna grab it and shove it out of there hands ! LoL

·
Registered
360 Posts
You know how you move one way to avoid walking into someone going in the opposite direction then they move in the same direction and you both end up doing this awkward dance? Well I do that A LOT. This morning it happened with some guy on a bike, he almost lost his balance because of my indecisiveness!

Also, usually when I'm about to get off the bus, or walk through a door and there's also someone else waiting to go through the same door, I'll think "maybe I should let them go first" and so pause to let them go, but then in the time it takes for them to register the fact that I'm allowing them to pass, I'll change my mind and think "maybe I should just go, I'm holding everyone up", so we both end up going at the same time.

I second guess myself a lot, and this also applies to driving.

·
Registered
769 Posts
This can be part of Sensory Processing Disorder. That "clumsiness" is called Proprioception dysfunction.

I have been clumsy all my life. I used to sprain my ankles all the time from tripping over myself as a kid. I still bump my shoulder or hip when I go around corners or chairs at home. I have never been able to follow dance steps, just can't make my body do what it's supposed to do.

"Some signs:
-difficulty "motor planning"; i.e. conceptualizing and figuring out what each part of his body needs to do in order to move a certain way or complete a task (what is an unconscious sense to us, becomes an active, conscious, frustrating sense to them)

-difficulty executing those planned movements: i.e."motor control" (the brain may know what to do, but they can't figure out how to make their body do it)

-difficulty "grading movement"; knowing how much pressure is needed to complete a task (i.e. hold a cup of water, hold and write with a pencil, turn the page of a book, hit a golf ball into the hole, etc.)

-difficulty with "postural stability"; i.e. the ability to hold and maintain one's postural muscles and responses, giving you a sense of security and safety during movement

As a result, proprioception is impaired and "emotional security" suffers. Children with proprioceptive dysfunction, who are unable to move and use their body effectively can become easily frustrated, give up, and lose self-confidence. It is truly difficult to watch these kids try SO HARD and not be able to do what they want to do. :0( Keeping in mind the aforementioned difficulties a child will have if this sense is not doing it's job correctly, you will quickly notice some of the following...

Signs Of Proprioceptive Dysfunction:

If they are under responsive to proprioceptive input (i.e. sensory seeking) they will...

-walk too hard, push too hard, bang too hard write too hard, play with objects too hard, etc.

-be the loud ones, rough ones, crashers, movers, shakers, runners, jumpers, and bouncers (i.e. an insatiable bundle of energy!)

-shake his legs or constantly bang the back of his foot on the floor/chair while sitting in class

-play too rough (often hurting himself or others), jump off of or crash into ANYTHING he can

-crack his knuckles, chew on his fingers, bite his nails until they bleed, chew on pens, gum, pencils, clothing collars, sleeves, or strings, or inedible objects (i.e. paper clips, pieces of toys etc.)

-enjoys TIGHT clothes (i.e. turtlenecks, tight belts, hoods, hats, jackets zipped ALL the way up, tight pajamas etc.)

If they have poor motor planning, body awareness, or motor control, they will...

-have difficulty climbing, running, riding a bike, doing jumping jacks, hitting a ball, roller skating, etc.

-have difficulty tying shoes (this is a great resource..."Tie Your Shoes: Rocket Style/Bunny Ears") or knowing how to move his body when you help him get dressed/undressed

-frequently bump into objects and people accidentally

-trip and fall often

-have difficulty learning to go up and down stairs, and may be frightened by them (escalators too)

Signs of postural instability will include...

-slumping at desk, dinner table etc.

-appear to be "limp" and lethargic all the time

-needing to rest his head on his hands or lay his head down on his arm on the desk/table while working

-having poor posture during motor tasks

-being unable to stand on one foot and have difficulty with any balancing tasks

As a result of proprioceptive dysfunction, and the struggles/challenges these children must face everyday just trying to accomplish normal childhood activities, they may become "emotionally insecure". They may avoid many typical play experiences, become shy, be afraid to try anything new, lack self-confidence and self-esteem. If you have a child you think may show signs of proprioceptive dysfunction ( see my siggy for the complete sensory processing disorder checklist ), then I highly recommend you talk to an Occupational or Physical Therapist in your community to see if your child may need an evaluation.
If you have, or know, a child who has a sensory processing disorder, please understand there is a NEUROLOGICAL reason they are doing these things!

I know the "sensory seeking" kids can try our patience, but understand one of the best ways we can help them is to give them appropriate and frequent opportunities for "deep pressure" activities and heavy work activities ...THEY NEED THEM! This WILL help them stay more focused, calm, and within an optimal arousal level."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts