Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Not-So-Hip Hippie
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apathy (also called lethargy or perfunctoriness) is most commonly defined as a lack of feeling, emotion, interest, or concern. It is a state of indifference, or the suppression of emotions such as concern, excitement, motivation, and/or passion.

---

The apathetic may lack a sense of purpose or meaning in their life. An apathetic person may also exhibit insensibility or sluggishness. In positive psychology, apathy is described as a result of the individual feeling they do not possess the level or skill required to confront a challenge (i.e "Flow"). It may also be a result of perceiving no challenge at all (e.g the challenge is irrelevant to them, or conversely, they have learned helplessness)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apathy

Learned helplessness is a mental state in which an organism forced to endure aversive stimuli or stimuli that are painful or otherwise unpleasant, becomes unable or unwilling to avoid subsequent encounters with these stimuli, even if they are escapable, presumably because it has learned that it can't control the situation.
Anyone have one or both?

Ironically, I find it incredibly difficult to cope being naturally apathetic through no fault or effort of my own. And its progressively gotten worse with age.

Besides therapy are there any ways of dealing with or confronting these issues?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts