Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, well first off I'm so glad I found this forum.

Well, whenever I go to speak in front of the class, like, I'll be nervous, and my hands start to shake. I become self conscious about it then my whole body starts shaking. Especially my head. Like I can't even look up without my head shaking quickly. I just freeze up and my brain like goes into shut off mode, and I just want to sit down and wish I'm not speaking.

Does anyone experience this? The class I'm in involves speaking like this fairly often, and it gets worse and worse.

Is there any way to overcome this, and if you have similar incidents, could you please post them to make me feel better?

·
Registered
116 Posts
You'll have to learn to ignore the rest of the class.

focus on the paper, the words, your posture(make it good posture, stand tall). Think about what's going on outside the windows. try to push everything else out of your mind.

I mean really push it out...DONT THINK ABOUT IT. that's the hard part, but it should only take a few times. Try mediating before hand to clear your mind and focus yourself.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Short term, I would try deep breaths, or even stretching the muscles to relax yourself. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had this happened to me for the first time last week. Registering and posting here has been my first step in my goal of defeating whatever it is that is causing this. Good luck to you in sorting it out as well vader.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I always forget to breathe so make sure you're breathing well.
This is more important than I ever thought it was. I always tend to breathe shallow when anxious (I think many people do) and when I do that it makes me feel even worse.

Ironically, my two biggest side effects of major anxiety are shaky hands and the inability to breathe normal breaths... but then again I have asthma, so maybe it's asthma attacks. Who knows.

I give you SO MUCH CREDIT for getting up there and doing the presentation!! There have been so many classes I avoided taking because I knew there were presentations as part of the class. I avoided them as much as I could and that was definitely not the way to go about it- good job doing it, and now trying to work on making it better.:)

·
Life sucks
1,735 Posts
I have the same problem, and can hardly put a sentence together. I get usually 2 different looks after the presentation (pity or look at this idiot) looks after.

·
Registered
270 Posts
In gym class, last year, I had to play goalie in floor hockey and a lot of points depended on it (it was an examination of sorts). Honestly, I just got drunk and the teacher told me after class that I "stole the show".:b
I don't condone alcohol as a crutch or alcohol in school, but it's relevant to the topic.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have very similar situations...
Once while working at an upscale restaurant, I had this party of disrespectful foreigners. They made me sooo nervous because they had a million ridiculous questions and when I go to think about the answer, they would give me this look like "what are you talking about?". They were Italian. Well, I was bringing the woman her soup and she just stood there without moving any of her plates so I can set the soup down in front of her. Anyway, I got nervous and spilled the soup all over her...Usually I can do anything with one hand, but she made me so nervous I started shaking and bam!
Talk about having everyone stare at you...Just thinking about it makes me want to pull my hair out!!!
I haven't waited a table since...

Not sure how old you are, but I have noticed that a shot or 2 makes the shaking go away and makes me feel more calm. This is just my experience, not a suggestion.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Deep breathe. Ask if you can have a minute of composure before starting your presentation. Open with a joke about your shaking hands, you'll most likely (if the class isn't uptight) get a few chuckles and the mood will be lightened and you can go right into your presentation a little less stressed then you were a minute ago. I've done this before and it's worked, makes people more patient because now they realize that you are nervous, where before if you fudged up or something they might think differently.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts