Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Song and action man
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I ordered a full sandwich but I only got served half of one. I kind of could sense the vibe in this place wasn't good when I walked in. Employees seemed on edge, and there was a manager in the background who I got the sense created it a hostile environment. I heard him drop an f bomb and barked some orders at another employee.

It wasn't necessarily SA that caused me no to say something but fearing one of the employees their had SA and getting in trouble with their manager would create a horrible situation. It would have been my worst nightmare if I was working there.

So I just decided to move on and not to go back any time soon for sure.

Any stories like that?

·
Super Moderator
8,450 Posts
A long time ago, a friend and I ventured into a random nice looking chinese restaurant because we were starving. There were no customers. We sat down at a random table. A wait staff instantly tend to us and brought us out silverware and plates. Another wait staff brought out and set up the table cloth. All of the other tables have no table cloth or anything set up. A 3rd wait staff came to take our order without a menu. We ask for the menu and they didn't have one. He tells us what we want and they will cook it. We ended up coming up with something random chinese dish off the top of our heads and they went to cook it. About 4-5 other wait staff came out and stood there next to the bussing table like an esembled and all stared at us. Another staff walked towards the restaurant windows and closed the blinds. Then we hear very loud banging maybe cleaver chopping noises from the kitchen. It became eerie and we felt very uncomfortable. Like we were going to be the next victims of a Chinese Restaurant of 1000 Corpses. Eventually we freaked out and we instantly picked up our bags and hurried towards the door to leave. In hopes the door wasn't locked or the wait staff will not physically keep us from fleeing. Thankfully it wasn't. We didn't end up looking for another restaurant and we just ended up going to a nearby Dominoes down the block that was packed with a very long line.

A few days later, I drove by the same Chinese restaurant out of curiosity, and it was packed with evening dining customers. It looked normal. 😅 And then I think it was a year later, the restaurant mysteriously burn down.

·
Super Moderator
34,611 Posts
Not something anyone else did but the grocery store I go to is one I have been going to almost ever since we have lived here and a lot of the same people have been working there for years and I recognize them and I'm sure they recognize me. One of them was working at the gas station nearby as long ago as the early 2000s and I clearly remember buying coffee and cigarettes there when she worked there. I remember always kind of being attracted to her then and I still think she is attractive. Ummmm. She has aged well but I haven't. :LOL:

Anyway, lots of their employees there are attractive and I have probably been caught many times stealing an awkward glance. Which I invariably regret when I see them again. I know that it is an insult to them for someone like me to even think of them that way and not a single one of them would ever be flattered by it.

·
Super Moderator
34,611 Posts
I have noticed lately that when we go to Lowe's they don't have any of the registers manned anymore and I hate self-checkout. I would rather just have someone there. I only go there when there is something I can't get anywhere else. I could go to Home Depot but I think it's the same now.

I also don't like going to Best Buy anymore because it seems a lot more fancy pants than it used to when I used to go there in the 90s and early 2000s. It feels like when I buy something in there, it wouldn't be acceptable to return it. Which of course that is probably just my warped perception of it. I'm sure if I did have a return it would be fine. I just wouldn't be comfortable doing it.

I remember back when a 27" TV weighed at least 80 pounds and I bought one there and got it home and it had a huge scratch across the front of the tube. This was only found AFTER I carried it up the stairs (wonder why my back hurts now?) and got it out of the box. The box was undamaged so it must have happened at the factory or something.

So I lugged it back down there and waited 20 minutes in a long return line and got another one. Which also had some kind of defect that I was not willing to just put up with (At the time, cable TV and movies were all I had in my life so I was not going to settle for an imperfect TV).

Anyway, I went through this about 4 times I'd say before I got one I could live with. I am surprised they did not ever put up any resistance to it (It probably seemed like I was doing it on purpose or something because who returns several TVs in a week?). But hey. The TV I was trying to buy was a Sony and Sony tube TVs were kinda premium in those days and they were not supposed to come out of the box defective or damaged. Anyway, the one I finally did keep lasted until just a few years ago so they were definitely made well.

EDIT - I also hate to go to shops and stores where the employees see you coming as soon as you come in the door and converge on you to try and find out what you're shopping for or try to talk you into buying something you're not looking for. They used to do that at Circuit City and I hated it. Which is why I went to Best Buy instead.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
This Chinese place near our house was pretty bad the other day. We called ahead to make sure they'd do curbside service which they said they would. So we ordered our food and waited the 30 minutes they suggested. But when I got there, they wouldn't pick up their phone even after I called about 10 times. So I finally went inside to complain that nobody was answering their phone but the place was packed with diners -- and only three staff. The first lady who was going to find my order blew me off to go help a dine-in customer with a complaint, I think. So I got this Latino guy who seemed to barely speak any English, and told him our number four times but he couldn't find our order in their system.

Meanwhile all these other customers were coming in or going out, NONE of them wearing masks and all getting way too close for comfort. Finally the guy asked what I had ordered and found our order by looking at the receipts. He showed me and it did have our number on it -- the same one I had told him four times. I don't know if he just didn't understand me or what. But by then I had to wait for some other guy who was checking out his order, even though I had gotten there first. And it was only after I got home that we realized they didn't give us any rice, even though it was supposed to come with our meals. And when my mom called to complain, they claimed that they definitely gave us rice and gave us some story about a "driver" opening and checking the order. I assume they couldn't find our order AGAIN and claimed that some other Uber Eats order was ours...

The place makes a good curry chicken but damn, I really don't want to go back there. Or at least not until they get some competent staff. The place had a "Now Hiring" sign in the window, scrawled by hand, so that was probably part of the issue. Plus it was really busy, which surprised me. I'll stick to drive-thru's at least until the pandemic is actually over.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,373 Posts
I'm quite uncomfortable when people are very friendly actually lol. Or if they're going to approach me and start asking me questions etc (that doesn't normally happen in shops I go in these days.) Going to the same shop regularly also used to make me uncomfortable (in case I'm recognised,) though I'd force myself anyway.

·
SAS Member
813 Posts
I stopped going to this chicken shop because of health concerns during covid.

It was during the height of covid last year and they still didn't wear gloves.

·
Super Moderator
34,611 Posts
I stopped going to this chicken shop because of health concerns during covid.

It was during the height of covid last year and they still didn't wear gloves.
I'm pretty sure I haven't eaten anything I didn't cook myself since the covid thing started. I was already not the biggest fan of fast food and restaurant food anyway because I worked at a fast food joint long enough to see what can happen. Just little things that can get neglected or not even done can make what goes into your food really gross. No matter how fastidious you think they are, only they really know and it only takes one employee not doing their job.

·
Administrator
9,140 Posts
* I spent about $35 on some things that were half price during a 50% off online sale about two months ago. Some things were in one parcel, and the invoice said that if not everything is there, it would be sent from another store. It took a while to get the next part, which was still missing three things. I had been seeing bad reviews from people saying they sell things and don’t send them because they’re “out of stock.”

After waiting two weeks and not getting the third parcel, I sent them an email. They took about a week or more to reply, and they told me one of the items had “already sold out.” They ignored the other two items I mentioned. I asked for a refund, but they only gave me back about $6.40 instead of the $11 I should have had. I let them know, and they told me the invoice they sent me had all of the items on it and asked me to take a photo of what I had, which matched the two items I didn’t get, as well as the invoice I don’t have anymore that they must have expected me to keep.

It’s only a few dollars, but I know they are doing this to everyone and I’m sure they probably never would have told me I wasn’t going to receive the items that were sold out, so I don’t want them to get away with it. I don’t know if I should reply to the last email or not because I feel like I’m being annoying over less than $5, and I don’t think I can prove I didn’t get the last two things. If you buy something, you should receive it, and if it isn’t available, you should get a refund. I won’t be buying from there again.

* We stopped getting Subway from inside the shopping centre after my parents saw someone who was making sandwiches picking his nose. It was a few years ago, so I don’t know if they remember. We found a good pizza shop in 2014/2015, but stopped buying from there after my sister got a shredded plastic bag in her food. They have had bad reviews.

* I don’t think we would buy much from Cash Converters anymore, but last time we went there (about 2007) it felt like the workers were following us around the shop and watching everything we did to make sure we didn’t steal anything.

* We went to a supermarket two years ago while they had a promotion where you spend $30 and get a mini collectible version of a household product, and the person serving us accused my dad of taking the bag of minis from behind her, even after he told her someone she worked with had taken it. She told me and my mum off for stacking things on the conveyor belt that she was moving very slowly, too. I still remember her name (Michelle) and the ugly earrings she was wearing (red feathers). We have been there since then, so this probably doesn’t count.

Reactions: iAmCodeMonkey

·
SAS Member
14,463 Posts
Pretty much any stores that overprice their goods. I avoid gas station stores like the plague because they often double the price just because they know people are in a hurry. I try to support local bakers and butchers etc. Their stuff is much better than grocery store crap, like outdated meat and bread that they put back on shelves with a new wrap and cut out the blue parts. If they can't treat costumers with respect then ill take my money a mile down the road where i get better service.

These days, there's too many people trying to rip your money right out of your wallet, especially with all that covid ****. Everyone is showing their true colors with raising prices and giving less quality service and blaming it on the "pandemic"

·
Song and action man
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have noticed lately that when we go to Lowe's they don't have any of the registers manned anymore and I hate self-checkout. I would rather just have someone there. I only go there when there is something I can't get anywhere else. I could go to Home Depot but I think it's the same now.

I also don't like going to Best Buy anymore because it seems a lot more fancy pants than it used to when I used to go there in the 90s and early 2000s. It feels like when I buy something in there, it wouldn't be acceptable to return it. Which of course that is probably just my warped perception of it. I'm sure if I did have a return it would be fine. I just wouldn't be comfortable doing it.

I remember back when a 27" TV weighed at least 80 pounds and I bought one there and got it home and it had a huge scratch across the front of the tube. This was only found AFTER I carried it up the stairs (wonder why my back hurts now?) and got it out of the box. The box was undamaged so it must have happened at the factory or something.

So I lugged it back down there and waited 20 minutes in a long return line and got another one. Which also had some kind of defect that I was not willing to just put up with (At the time, cable TV and movies were all I had in my life so I was not going to settle for an imperfect TV).

Anyway, I went through this about 4 times I'd say before I got one I could live with. I am surprised they did not ever put up any resistance to it (It probably seemed like I was doing it on purpose or something because who returns several TVs in a week?). But hey. The TV I was trying to buy was a Sony and Sony tube TVs were kinda premium in those days and they were not supposed to come out of the box defective or damaged. Anyway, the one I finally did keep lasted until just a few years ago so they were definitely made well.

EDIT - I also hate to go to shops and stores where the employees see you coming as soon as you come in the door and converge on you to try and find out what you're shopping for or try to talk you into buying something you're not looking for. They used to do that at Circuit City and I hated it. Which is why I went to Best Buy instead.
I recall going to Best Buy in the early 2000s. They had back then a good DVD selection I used to enjoy. It seems kind of silly now but the people that would greet you whenever I'd walk in would make me uneasy for some reason.

But yeah you're right I went there a few years ago and was surprised to see they were selling dryers and other home appliances. I bought my laptop there, experience was all right...

·
Song and action man
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm quite uncomfortable when people are very friendly actually lol. Or if they're going to approach me and start asking me questions etc (that doesn't normally happen in shops I go in these days.) Going to the same shop regularly also used to make me uncomfortable (in case I'm recognised,) though I'd force myself anyway.
I relate to a lot of that.

I think though even before Covid hit places tried to cut out people who would try to help the customer. Back then it seemed annoying but now it's like damn companies and their ways to save money lol

·
Super Moderator
34,611 Posts
I recall going to Best Buy in the early 2000s. They had back then a good DVD selection I used to enjoy. It seems kind of silly now but the people that would greet you whenever I'd walk in would make me uneasy for some reason.
They still do have a greeter at mine and it does make me uneasy. I also kinda feel bad for them because it looks like they have to stand in the same spot all day. That's gotta be really hard on someone's mind.

I kind of like that they sell appliances now but it's kind of stupid that they can't deliver them the same day you buy them. Like they have a crapload of refrigerator models but we needed one that day and they said they couldn't do it. Which if you think about it is dumb because a refrigerator is one of those things that a lot of people probably are not going to buy unless the one they have has just died. Which is a household emergency, basically. If you have several hundred dollars in food you can't wait a week for a refrigerator.

Best Buy wasn't the only store that wouldn't deliver same day though.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Greeters and restroom attendants aren't a thing here, thank God, but in some stores --especially clothing stores that aren't very busy-- employees are encouraged to say "Can I help you" to as many customers as possible. Of course, I avoid those.
There's a gigantic shopping center half an hour away and there's sales reps from phone and electricity companies trying to get new customers. They wait for people to come into the mall via the parking garage escalators, so I make it a point to use the escalators that lead to the plaza just outside and then walk in through the front door.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
There's one barber shop that I won't go to again. I used to really like them because they took their time cutting hair and they were usually nice when I'd go with my dad. But the last time I went (I was alone and there were no other customers or barbers there at the time) the guy huffed and puffed the whole time and kept cursing and when it was over he said nastily "you really shouldn't wait so long to get your hair cut!" That's been 10 years ago and I haven't been back.

In general I don't like barber shops anyway because of the awkwardness of sitting there while having your hair cut. And I've had some other ones that were rather rude. So usually I cut it myself and avoid all that mess.

Also this isn't a place that I've stopped going to actually, but the place I go to get my engine oil changed, sometimes the people there get nasty. I'm not the most outgoing person and it seems like that really ticks off some of their employees and they want to get an attitude with me or give me dirty looks. I don't go along with it though. I'd go somewhere else but that's the only place here that really does quick oil changes.

In general I try to avoid small businesses and shops because you get so much attention. I know that's the point but it makes me feel awkward, so I prefer to just go to a bigger store or supermarket, get what I want, and leave with little to no interaction. Self checkouts can be a blessing and a curse with that in mind.

Finally, I've found most workers at McDonald's to be nice, but one McDonald's in particular was the rudest restaurant I've ever been to. I went with a group of friends and was laughing at something they said. I went up to the counter to order and the lady walked up, rolled her eyes and said "What DO YOU WANT?!" I should've said NOTHING and turned around and left. Instead timid me just said "I'm sorry!" and proceeded with my order.

I thought it was just me but another time someone told me they didn't like to eat there because the employees tended to be rude. So I guess they just weren't trained all that well.

Also I really like DQ sometimes but in the drive thru I've found they forget my order sometimes. They'll have you pull into a parking space with a number to wait, one time I did this and they never brought my order, finally someone came out to bring someone else their order, and saw me sitting there and asked if I needed something. I told them I never got my food. They ended up giving me my money back and a coupon for an ice cream when they brought my order so I was ok with it, and I'd go back. But then I went another time after that at night, order never came out again. I ended up taking my receipt and going inside and they got me food there. I haven't had any problems since then.

One time when I was a kid we went to a restaurant and the waitress took our order, but never brought the food out. So we waited and waited and nobody came out and finally the chef came out to sit and take a break as there was no other customers but us by then. So he saw us waiting and asked what happened and it turned out the waitress never turned in the orders. They gave us a refund partly I think but we never went back.

·
Song and action man
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There's one barber shop that I won't go to again. I used to really like them because they took their time cutting hair and they were usually nice when I'd go with my dad. But the last time I went (I was alone and there were no other customers or barbers there at the time) the guy huffed and puffed the whole time and kept cursing and when it was over he said nastily "you really shouldn't wait so long to get your hair cut!" That's been 10 years ago and I haven't been back.

In general I don't like barber shops anyway because of the awkwardness of sitting there while having your hair cut. And I've had some other ones that were rather rude. So usually I cut it myself and avoid all that mess.
There was a local barbershop here I didn't go back too. The owner I think fired a co-worker for being "too quiet". Well I mean I don't know for sure but for some reason that made me feel bad for this young kid. That plus you had to make an appointment with him. Yeah I know it's probably standard but it's just rubbed me as being pain in the assey

·
Super Moderator
34,611 Posts
^ I always had bad experiences with barber shops and thus, started going to unisex places like BoRics. Never had a bad experience with them and always tipped them at least $5. I started going to them in like 1989 and never went anywhere else for a haircut until I started shaving my head at home.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Just prior to Covid, I had started getting my hair cut at Great Clips. My grandma kept telling me how much she liked them and would send me coupons, so I tried it. The first time, I think it was right before Thanksgiving of 2019, I was really impressed with the stylist. She was very nice and did a great job. The next time, I wanted the same one but ended up with somebody else and she wasn't as nice and I didn't think she did as great of a job. That was about January of 2020. I've been cutting my own hair since but I just can't do as good a job as a barber or stylist. The thing with Great Clips is you can make an appointment but I don't think they do for a specific stylist or barber, it's basically whoever has an empty chair is who you'll get.

One other barber shop I used to like going to after I had trouble with that guy at the first one. I'm not sure why I stopped going to that one, it seemed they were basically a revolving door of different barbers or stylists but I never had any problems.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think it's just people becoming too familiar with me. I prefer the idea of going to a place and staying somewhat anonymous.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts