Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading up on Inattentive ADD. I've become convinced that I may have it and it may be the underlying problem which is triggering my SA. I've also ready in quite a few places that SA is often comorbid with ADD, the Inattentive type specifically.

Theres a great article on Inattentive ADD at:

http://www.adda-sr.org/reading/Articles ... entive.htm

and also a great online test which checks for subtypes of ADD at:

http://amenclinics.com/ac/tests/

So many things make sense now...mainly why I could never read a lot in high school. The thing is, I never would have though I had ADD or any kind of learning disability because I consider myself a fairly intelligent person and have a fairly high IQ (according to many goofy online tests). But apparently, thats exactly one of the reasons that Inattentive ADD can go undetected...because parents/teachers never associate an intelligent, quiet kid with someone who might have something like ADD.

I wish I could have figured this out back in high school, maybe I would have done better in history :lol

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
I'm not diagnosed but I suspect that I have ADD along with SA. I can be just as scattered calm as I am anxious which clues me into that I may have ADD. A lot of times, anxiety can mimic ADD as it makes us unfocused & scattered.

I'll take a look at the articles when I have moe time, thanks a bunch for sharing those :D :squeeze

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have ADD and SA, ben diagnosed with both, and have lived with both long enough to know its the truth. I've focused more on the ADD part over the years, and treating that.
As far as "subtypes" well, every time I take those tests, I have all of em at once lol.

wituckius, remember that, like with SA, a certain amount of these symptoms are normal human reactions or conditions. If those symptoms have caused a part of your life to shut down, then it may be the real deal!
I only say that, cause every time I describe ADD to people, they say "oh that happens to me too". Well, yeah, but is it crippling? My brain sometimes short circuits so bad.....ok I could write a book.

Also yes, I have heard people grow out of ADD, but also that some people grow into it later in life. If you think its an issue for you, then most definatly look into it. It's made all the difference for me!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hmmm this is interesting. I haven't been officially diagnosed with ADD but I have my suspicions.

As a child I pretty much liked school and did really well in it. However, in my early twenties I began having problems concentrating and not being deathly bored when at work.
The thing that made school OK is that at least the subjects change throughout the semesters and so do your schedules and teachers, etc. It's not the same EXACT thing everyday.
At an 8 hr a day job, things are SOOOOOOOOOOO monotonous month after month that I end up dreading each day. I just feel like I need more challenge, some problems to solve. I KNOW everyone feels bored at work from time to time, but I feel as though what I'm going through is extreme.

I read that definition of inattentive ADD, and I'm definitely the daydreamer type. Teachers used to LOVE me in school cause I was quiet and listened and didn't cause problems. However I was doodling and daydreaming whenever possible.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have ADD. I didn't even suspect I had it when my doctor diagnosed me, but after carefully researching it and taking a couple of quizzes, I realised that I really did have it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have been diagnosed with ADD... I have it really bad too. It doesn't go well with SA because when i get anxious it makes it twice as hard to concentrate in school.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Wow. I went to a doctor the other day for anxiety, and she said my symptoms indicated ADD might be an underlying issue. I thought she was nuts, and told her it was very unlikely I would have ADD becasue I was a straight A student through middle school. But, Inattentive ADD sounds a lot like me. I am supposed to get screened for ADD on Wednesday. I guess I'll find out.

To anyone who has been diagnosed with ADD, what methods exactly are used to diagnose it?

·
Registered
170 Posts
lostsockmonkey said:
To anyone who has been diagnosed with ADD, what methods exactly are used to diagnose it?
One method used is a series of pictures in which something may or may not be wrong with each one. There is a time limit per picture and you will be scored depending how long it takes to find the right or wrong answer. This is a method used by neuropsychologists. From what my girlfriend has told me of the tests her neurologists have used a very different approach is taken, but it was established long ago that she has ADD by a neuropsychologist's tests.

·
Registered
57 Posts
opivy22 said:
One method used is a series of pictures in which something may or may not be wrong with each one. There is a time limit per picture and you will be scored depending how long it takes to find the right or wrong answer. This is a method used by neuropsychologists. From what my girlfriend has told me of the tests her neurologists have used a very different approach is taken, but it was established long ago that she has ADD by a neuropsychologist's tests.
:thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes, I found I have ADD also. I treat it with Ritalin - yummy yummy Ritalin :D

I go from being the lazy apathetic student to the overmotivated student because studying is such a great way to escape socail interaction.

·
Registered
170 Posts
thats an interesting article. I suspect I may have Inattentive ADD myself. Definately explains alot of things about my performance in high school. Very interesting about SA being like a side effect. Paying attention in class was always a hard task, even though it would always look like I was. And studying/reading was always daydreaming fest no matter how hard I tried to pay attention.

I remember thinking maybe I have ADD because of that but I knew 2 people who did have it, and when they werent on their medication they were really really hyper, and that just wasn't me at all.

I been thinking about getting back to school, maybe I should see about getting diagnosed beforehand hmm.. thanks for the post.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've been seeing a counselor and she told me how she thinks I may have inattentive ADD. Now that I think about it, I'm almost positive I have it. I manage to do well in school, but I have trouble following my teachers and always miss little things. I have a really bad memory also. I think ADD might be the cause of my SA. I cant really carry normal conversations because I cant follow what the other person is saying half the time so I just smile and laugh most of the time, which probably makes me look like an idiot. People see me as kind of a daydreamer like I'm never really there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts