Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Anyone used to be/still is a Jehovah's Witness?

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Dovakhiin 
#1 ·
I didn't want to put this thread in the Spirituality section because I'm not actually a JW anymore, but I think it's affected my SA a lot.

When you're in a religion that demands:

-going door-to-door to talk to strangers on a regular basis
-socialize and interact with lots of people 2-3 times a week, most of whom are old/boring/judgmental
-don't make friends who aren't JWs, too

Well...even when I was trying to be a good JW and believed it, I never could do all that. It was horrible. The only good thing about it was that I had some friends there and felt like I had "another world" I belonged in when I was suffering with loneliness and misery in school.

#5 ·
Im not one, but my dad is a Jehovah's Witness. He has been one since about 1988, for about 25 years and still is now.

It's a religion I wouldn't recommend anyone go near. It's based on a web of absurd lies, spreading the false hope of living forever in an earthly paradise. Furthermore, I think being in a family of JWs can worsen SA as it labels people who are non JW's as "worldy" and bad associations.

Anyone thinking of joining, I recommend you read this article "A Threat To The Social Family Fabric".

http://www.freeminds.org/psych/victor.htm

#6 ·
I very much recommend http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/
to any exJoHos, great community of people who understand.

Just remember that JW 'friends' come with the condition that you continue to be a JW, whereas true friends would remain your friend no matter what religion (or lack of religion) you believe in.

#8 ·
I think the Jehovah's Witness religion is very much akin to a wolf dressed in sheeps clothing. Generally, people see JWs as smartly dressed, humble, sincere people who are polite and welcoming so they think even if they aren't God's true organization then they aren't doing harm. When in fact, spreading these destructive lies about armageddon, the false hope of living in a paradise on earth and alienating members from their families is very damaging.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.