Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I'm ever in an awkward situation and not directly talking to someone, I'll frequently pick up my mobile phone and do something with it -- like text, check twitter, play a game, etc.

I think I do this so someone else won't try to start-up a conversation with me.

Does anyone else do this?

-AP

·
In my shiny bubble
2,428 Posts
I did this in the car once when my parents were going to pick my sister and her boyfriend up from town and I was also in the car sitting in the back, and they had to sit in the back also.

All the while they were in the car I played on my phone to make it look like I was texting someone and that's why I didn't want to talk because I was soooo busy on my phone lol

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yeah I do that, I will pretend to check my phone usually when im in a group of people just standing awkwardly, I feel like I need to be doing something.

·
slanted and disenchanted
321 Posts
hahaha, yeah, i 'pretend' (or sometimes real) text a lot, or 'check my messages' to avoid interaction or looking like a 'loser' if i'm waiting somewhere and there are a lot of people milling about.

i was never all that into the whole cell phone/texting thing, until i realized what helpful tools they were when it comes to anxiety provoking situations. but maybe they just enable my avoidant tendencies. who knows...

·
Registered
230 Posts
I do this constantly but I try to avoid it if someone is talking to me just because I don't want them to think I'm being rude. Unfortunately those are usually the moments I want to do it the most.

Sometimes I wish I smoked too because it'd give me an excuse to go outside when I'm stuck in an awkward situation :eek:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah I do this sometimes.
Fortunately or unfortunately, I have actual important reasons to check my phone pretty often: I have several family members who are in rocky patches in their lives and require checking on several times a day.
Even beyond doing these necessary things, though, I mess with my phone a lot, hoping people will leave me alone.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I used to do that, but my contract ended. I used to go through the settings and stuff. Act like I had someone to text. I felt that if I just sat there and looked around I would look like a loser. Or that they would laugh at me.

The other day I was sitting at a booth in a restaurant while my friend went to pee. The waiter comes up and says, "You look lonely." Why do I have to be anything or look a certain way when I'm out in public? Why can't I just be? Sry! I ranted!:)

·
Cool story, bro!
986 Posts
Wow. Yes I do this all the time too. Especially when I think a group of people are looking at me and I'm sitting all alone. I can feel their stare so I will look into my phone and act like I'm texting someone so that they think I have friends.

·
Not wearing pants
387 Posts
Yes I do this but I'm sad so just go through the settings and pretend I've got some super active social life. Ha.
This. I sometimes send text messages to myself, too, since it takes a couple of minutes for the alarm to go off.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If I'm ever in an awkward situation and not directly talking to someone, I'll frequently pick up my mobile phone and do something with it -- like text, check twitter, play a game, etc.

I think I do this so someone else won't try to start-up a conversation with me.

Does anyone else do this?

-AP
yup. i pretend that im texting someone. or ill go thru my phonebook over and over until the awkwardness disappears

·
Registered
5 Posts
I do that also! When i get my social anxiety, i will get on my cell and start texting random people, so i can keep my mind of that is causing my anxiety.

·
Registered
52 Posts
All the time. It's just about the only thing I use my phone for. I hate talking on the phone and can't be arsed with texting, but being able to go through my menus instead of talking to strangers is a very important feature.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I do that also! When i get my social anxiety, i will get on my cell and start texting random people, so i can keep my mind of that is causing my anxiety.
but i dont actually text anyone..lol

ha yes i thought i only did that. i fake like im calling someone or change the song on my ipod i did it twice today
i like to "fake call" also, esp when im walking towards a person or group that triggers my anxiety to avoid contact with them

·
Registered
78 Posts
lol

IM SO A FREAKIN LOSER

i do this as well

i go through my phonebook and fake text when in social moment/events/at school/at my old job.

:|

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Heheh I do this quite frequently as of late, much to my own abhorrence.. :D
I'll often just fein a text message or act busy by checking some random photo I took or changing my profiles to outdoor settings.

But yeh, it's definately used to try and avert attention directed at me by others.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I do that too, especially at university. Pretending to text someone, or just browsing menu. I happen to do it also to have a reason why I "didn't notice" someone I know coming in my direction.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts