Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are you talking about the ones that are found a few social anxiety sites for $300 or so? I got a demo in the mail today. You can request one free, along with a test you can take to measure your level of social anxiety. I'm trying to find a good self-help program for my adult daughter. I'm going to see if any of the public libraries have these tapes/cd's. $300 is a LOT for an individual to pay, especially considering there is NO money back guarantee. It makes me wonder how truly interested they are in helping people (vs. making a big profit) with prices that high.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm trying the tapes. So far I've only listened to 1 because the author recommends doing 1 tape per week since it takes awhile to reprogram our thinking. The first tape stresses the act of talking slower to keep your anxiety from building up. The next tape deals with changing the negative thoughts that we tell ourselves. I haven't listened to it yet, but I read about it in the handbook that accompanies the tapes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
meli214,

You must be using the Dr. Richards tapes. I've heard so much about them on this site but haven't tried them yet. It sounds like a lot of good practical stuff though. I'm wondering if I should invest in them. I've read books and listened to the tapes by Midwest Center for Anxiety but this series sound like it may be more technical.

As far as slowing down speech, I have to wonder if this would work for me. Sometimes I feel more anxious if I talk more slowly. Let me know how this series is working for you if it is the Dr. Richards series.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I'm using the Dr. Richards tapes. The key to the slow talk method is to slow down very slightly...not so much that you sound like an idiot. When you have anxiety, you tend to talk really quickly and blurt out everything. By deliberately talking just barely slower than a normal talking pace, you enunciate words more clearly and your words are more crisp.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've tried scotch tape, masking tape, duct tape, none of them seemed to help much.
Actually, I did try some kind of self-hypnosis confidence tape years ago...didn't do anything...in fact, I think the duct tape was slightly more effective.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Lucinda Bassett Anxiety tape/CD program

My daughter tried this program out out and we sent it back within the 30 day free trial period. I ended up being turned off by the "big business" aspect of LB's whole tape/CD anxiety program.
LB claims that she REALLY wants to help people overcome their anxiety, yet she feels very comfortable charging nearly $500 (with tax) for this program. That is VERY unaffordable for many people. My daughter has no income right now.
The materials for the whole program are probably worth about $30 or so. The rest goes to pay for all of the huge marketing expenses and into the pockets of Lucinda and pals. I was also turned off when I called to get the "return instructions" for the 30 day TRIAL. The person (on a recording) went on and on about how the whole set must be in perfect condition or they'd charge you for whatever looked USED. That ticked me off, considering they said up front to USE the program (including the workbook) for a full 30 days for free.
We did send everything back intact, with no writing in the workbook. But I sure wouldn't blame someone for writing in the workbook after being told to USE the program for 30 days at no cost.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.