Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious about trying something like this, cuz I'm thinking the benzo would help alleviate the down once the adderall wears off.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Seems to work well for some people, but I think I'll stick to just sedatives. Plus after watching the movie reqium for a dream, I'd be affraid that if i took adderall then my fridge would try to kill me :p

·
Equilibrian Epicurius
1,028 Posts
If you only want the benzo for the crash, then take a short-acting one (ie. alprazolam) as the Adderall is wearing off. If you find the Adderall's stimulation to be too anxiogenic then a longer acting benzo such as clonazepam would be the best option.

I don't find amphetamine to be anxiogenic (at least in therapeutic doses) so I prefer leaving the benzodiazepine out altogether to experience Adderall's cognitive enhancement to the fullest extent.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I think what may seperate SA from other anxiety disorders, interestingly enough, might be the fact that it seems to respond to stimulants. I have some other co-morbid anxiety disorders, and I don't think I could ever take a stimulant.

·
Registered
544 Posts
It's very interesting, because I don't necessarily believe SA is a result of low dopamine overall. I think being on a SSRI can cause low dopamine, but like me after you come off the creativity comes back and you start to wonder... I think too much stimulation of dopamine and anxiety can go through the roof (hitting all dopamine receptors), but it depends on which dopamine receptor.. I think confidence which is what we are mostly discussing here with adderall or ritalin is to do with the D2 receptor, so perhaps it's just the D2 receptor alone that is the problem. If so, why?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Wouldn't adderal make you a bit..overly social? I guess thats cool if thats what your after. Me personally, I don't have any desire to be the life of the party, I'm happy just to be there in the background, so long as I feel at ease, and not like I'm going to explode from the anxiety of being around people, for that reason I prefer sedatives I think.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I'm a bit the opposite, while I do like to not be noticed to avoid anxiety and confrontation in social situations, at the same time I crave the attention in social situations too...

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I think social interaction is very neccisery for mental health, thats probly why the worst punishment in prison is to be put in the isolation cell, away from all the murders and rapists, and thats the worst punishment. Just shows you something about humanitys inate need for other people I think. I have a fairly laid back personality though, so so long as I'm around people, I'm happy to not be the "outgoing" one. I figure just because I have social anxiety, doesnt mean I need to spend my entire life trying to achive the polar opposite.

·
Registered
544 Posts
That's very interesting. You see when I don't interact in the way I feel I need to in social situations I get very down, and the next time becomes even harder. Part of my depression I think with my SA is because of the inability to achieve the social tranquility I am constantly striving for.

·
Equilibrian Epicurius
1,028 Posts
Wouldn't adderal make you a bit..overly social? I guess thats cool if thats what your after. Me personally, I don't have any desire to be the life of the party, I'm happy just to be there in the background, so long as I feel at ease, and not like I'm going to explode from the anxiety of being around people, for that reason I prefer sedatives I think.
For me, I rarely ever even say a word when I'm sober, so I need Adderall just to be able to communicate somewhat normally. It still doesn't turn me into an extrovert though - maybe at recreational doses it would.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts