Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there been lurking these fourms for awhile. was just wondering if anyone conquered speech class and if they think it helped them. so for about 4 1/2 years ive been avoiding taking a speech class at my local community college but now i forced myself to do it (as something i gotta do). in the past if for any class we would have to do any group discussion or speak in front of people i would immediately leave and drop the class. but its already been couple weeks and we been speaking in front of the class and having group discussions and surprisingly im not as anxious or nervous about giving my speeches later on in the semester. i guess it also helps if your teacher is nice and not intimidating (i was recommended this teacher im taking now) did anyone that take it feel like it helped them overcome their anxiety? or at least a little? because i kinda getting that feeling now.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I took speech class about 2 years ago. It helped but not permanently. I did 3 speeches. Surprisingly I didn't have a lot of anxiety during this class. Because I sat with some nice people and got along with them. And majority of the people were nice and I had a lot in common with many of them. We got to know each other in group activities and going around the rooming introduces ourselves to each other. So it relaxed me. I was able to open up. Plus I liked my teacher. I remember some of the techniques. It helped but I have still had intense anxiety on presentations since having that class.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I took a speech class 2 years ago. It helped me at the time. I only did 3 speeches and I shook, my voice cracked, turned bright red, and all the normal symptoms, but I didn't beat myself up over it. So, I wasn't the greatest at giving speeches, but it helped me a lot with my communication with people outside of the class. I was able to get closer to the friends I had at the time. I think that if I took a speech class every semester for a few years, it might improve my SA a lot. But, that's not really realistic lol.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I took one but it didn't really help. What I actually needed was therapy. I think I needed to cure the SA (or attempt to recover from the SA) before I attempted the kind of exposure required for public speaking.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I did.
It was required for my course. LOL. So I chose the summer class so I wouldn't have to deal with it for long plus I knew almost no one (helped, because I think speaking in front of acquaintances is awful, the way I saw it, after summer class I may never have to see those people again).
It went better than I expected. I wasn't super terrible but I wasn't really good at speaking.
Overall it boosted by confidence a bit, but in a greater scheme of things it didn't dissipate my anxiety about public speaking or people in general. (Oh well, you win some you lose some.)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I took two public speaking classes. While I got through them they didn't really help I don't think. I think the teachers, especially the second one, ended up feeling sorry for me and passed me even though I gave hrrible speeches. (I pretty much got up for each speech and mumbled a lot - no one could even hear me!) The semester after my second speaking class I to give a really big presentation in another one of my classes and I totally froze up and couldn't even finish. So yeah, they didn't really help me. It might work for you though! I just think most people need to give more than 3/4 speeches in order to get over bad anxiety. I haven't give up though, I still keep taking classes where I have to speak even though I often make a fool of myself. I think I may finally be getting a bit better! Though I don't want to get my hopes up. I think the key is to learn to function despite the discomfort instead of expecting that you will ever not be very anxious. Good luck though!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for input guys one thing im real concerned about is my voice cracking and/or shaking. well for me i already feel kind of confident since i managed to stay in the class so far and we did some small speaking in front of the class and i didn't freak out. so i guess i can give myself a pat on the back for that lol. no speeches yet though. but teacher is real good, she makes everyone feel comfortable and there were couple students who when introducing themselves said they really hate speaking in front of people. It got me thinking "if they can stick it out as well"

·
Registered
955 Posts
we had to do it in HS. Has was writting and hte other half was speeches. I hated it but certain ones I did grat at and others I did bad at. Group presenting is no issue for me ever.
Might have to take one for the program im trying to get into. Dont want to but what ever.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
we had to do it in HS. Has was writting and hte other half was speeches. I hated it but certain ones I did grat at and others I did bad at. Group presenting is no issue for me ever.
Might have to take one for the program im trying to get into. Dont want to but what ever.
i actually don't need it for what i decided to go into but im just doing this for myself (my biggest FEAR) and to show i haven't wasted 4 + years of my life since its the only credit i need for a degree.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts