Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've stuttered ever since I was a young child. (It isn't all that bad--well compared to some other people I've met who also stutter.--but bad compared to the general population) I've worked hard to improve it since I was a young child and I've come on alot. It used to be, I couldn't get through a sentence without getting stuck on a sound. I still stutter now as a young adult, but most of the time I can still get through what I want to say and be understood fairly well. However I still stutter fairly often and my habits for masking it (talking fast, talking very low) can make me hard to understand.

Basically, I think my speech impediment is the basis for my anxiety. When I'm talking with people I know, I can be very talkative at this point. My friends back home say that I'm funny and smart. Some even say that I'm a sarcastic ******* (those ones are pretty spot on tbf), but the main thing for me is that I communicate with them freely and show my personality which some folks like and some don't. (Some SA things like eye contact fear affect me at all times though)

However, around new people I'm basically a mute. I'm so self-conscious and terrified of stuttering that I almost never initiate conversation, and spend my time trying to avoid having people start one with me. It's so frustrating. I'm at university now and I want to be friendly, I want to be social, but I can't. The fear is innate. It's the worst is with pretty girls. I'm not even really intimidated by them. But they start talking with me and all I can do is avoid eye contact and mumble some rubbish response. If I actually have a problem speaking, forget it. Just makes me seem like a dismissive jerk. The world's only arrogant loner. It's just frustrating. Just wish I could be myself, you know? Instead of hiding behind the facade SA has put infront of my personality.

Wow. Typed way more than I intended.:b Anyway, do other people have SA related to speech? Anyone have advice or experience with this?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yeah I've always had a mumbling problem. Though not as bad as in junior high.

But I think it's one of the factors that sort of lead me to this point in my life. Avoiding conversation a lot of the time cause everyone just tells me to stop mumbling, or ignores me all together.

·
Loser
207 Posts
I stutter a little bit, too. But only because of social phobia (therefore I only do it in social situations). But it sucks anyway.

·
calm
264 Posts
i suggest you sum it up and put it at the end so people like me who have little time can also take a part in this thread - dont bother people with so much text :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Right there with ya. Oh my god, Answering machines are the worst. When I am in socil situations, I stutter and mumble a lot and lose my train of thought. I get anxious that I am saying the wrong thing and what do people think about me. It's very difficult.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't have experience with stuttering and SA, but I have a habit of talking too fast and tripping over my words.

One of my professors stuttered. It took 2-3 classes (hour and 20 minutes each) before I realized he actually had a stutter. I thought he just tripped on a word. So you might try to tell yourself that your stutter may not be as obvious as you think. And that professor was one of the coolest ones I've ever had.. he was kind of crazy, but absolutely brilliant.

·
R.I.P. Do not contact.
1,905 Posts
I often get tongue-tied, mumble, and pronounce things in a strange way. It's like I've forgotten how to speak intelligibly because I do it so rarely.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i mumble a lot and just have problems communicating,

my thing is like, its not necessarily the words you say, but how you deliver them, that get people to react appropriately.

so like, if you say something funny, but people only catch half of the words your saying, and you dont have much confidence behind what your saying anyways, the reaction will be probably not what your looking for.

thats how i feel. that people can't hear me properly, and i kinda run out of air, and am so nervous that i dont breathe in, and just everything is all mumbled jumbled together, so people don't quite hear me or get what i'm saying, which gets frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eventually, you just give up, and it becomes your reality.
ugh.

(and even here, you can see that i mumble and put words together weirdly and kinda lose train of thought etc)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know exactly how you feel. I stutter too, but it's not AS bad as some people who stutter but it is enough to make me anxious when I am around new people, only because I am afraid of stuttering even more. What I've realized is that I stutter a lot more when I am nervous, which is why I want to get help for my SA. I think that if I could control my anxiety more, I would stutter a lot less.

·
Registered
226 Posts
It's no biggy. My psychologist stutters and I have had problems with speech in the passed (still do sometimes but I guess alot of us SAers probably do in social situations)

·
Registered
8 Posts
i stutter and i think it's one of the reasons i have social anxiety. unlike most, i have SA because of stuttering while others stutter due to SA. When i stutter in front of people it is complete torture for me. I consider that to be one of the most humiliating experiences.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yeah, oddly enough my stutter has kind of developed the older I've gotten. But I think it has to do with the fact that growing up I'd only talk to people I'd be very comfortable with and was always a one on one person.

As I'm getting older I'm challenging myself and talking more and more to people I don't know that well, and in small groups. And yeah, it's brought on some stuttering I never though I'd have. Def SA related and indeed, it's been frustrating me a lot! There's days I'm fine but other days where I can literally sense it, almost a physical sensation in my tongue where I'm like "Oh no, this is gonna be a struggle." And it can take me a while for the feeling to leave. It's weird, not sure if that happens to you.

I'm not sure what advice I can give cause I'm currently still struggling. But I look at other people that have other conditions and seem completely content with it, and act like nothings wrong and they're happy and in return, people around them really don't care. So that's what I try to do. To be inspired by those people and not care as much, and to try to talk regardless if I'm stuttering or not.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I mumble, talk fast, and get tongue-tied quite often. As others have said, I believe it's one of the factors that have caused my SA. If I was more confident that I wouldn't make a blabbering idiot of myself, I might be more social. But no, I'm afraid I'll completely mess up a sentence, mainly with people who I've never met before, so I'd really rather avoid social contact with them.

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
Happens sometimes when I talk too fast =S

1 - 15 of 15 Posts