Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do any of you think you are overly emotional?? I'm 21 years old, I live at home, and I am really emotional around my parents and I'm not sure why. They love me much, and are always so concerned about me, and really worried about me, and always bugging me about studying at school especially, and basically just wanting me to be successful at life..but I don't think I'm the best student, and when my parents tell me to study more, I just get real emotional and feel like a really bad person, and get really down..and feel like I'm failing at my life, and I just cry, cause I try to study and I want to succeed, but maybe I'm a bad person?? I don't have the best character, and my parents always are correcting me, like everything they say to me;

I can't be in the room with my dad without getting really tense, and wanting to run away, I get intense anxiety, because I feel he's always judging me, cause I'm not a good person, cause I don't study enough and stuff like that..I feel so bad, and if I'm a bad person what can I do?? I'm so emotional whenever someone gives me correction or tells me how to live better, I just start crying cause I'm not perfect, and I feel people close to me, do nothing but give me correction, and it really hurts...i dont' feel accepted at all...even though I know they love me for real...what's wrong with me??

·
Banned
29 Posts
nothings wrong with you. i get annoyed as well when my parents bug me about my grades and what i wear and what i eat. i use this annoyance as a way to get motivated about making good grades cuz the better grades i make the quicker i can finish school and get my own place so that i don't have to put up with their annoying behavior.

·
Longing to be Free
25 Posts
I definately feel the same way. I feel like I am failing my parents as well as myself, and I get very emotional about it too. I feel like I have been taking advantage of my family by not being financially independent and take up responsibilities, and that just makes me feel like crap. And, I feel stuck in this situation too.

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
I think you should stop calling yourself a "Bad person," it's not helpful. You may make bad decisions. You may even do bad things sometimes. It doesn't make you a bad person. Tomorrow is another day, if you didn't study enough today you can study extra hard tomorrow. If you were rude to someone today (random example) you can apologise to them tomorrow.

It's a shame that you feel tense around your parents. I think in my case it's my fragile self-esteem that makes me over-sensitive to criticism. Could it be the same in your case?

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
haha parents sometimes have subtle ways of putting guilt trips on us or maybe it is the way we perceive some of the comments. It just can become exaggerated a bit more if you're a sensitive person. With negative thoughts and expectations it gets centered around failure.

It is good to know that you have parents who care for you and want the best for you, that you take their what they say into consideration, sometimes too much to a fault. At the same time you go to college, you study, you work hard, and you do all of this for yourself not your parents expectations of what your life outcomes should be. At least, that is my opinion on the matter. Ramble, ramble.

Original question...I don't think I'm overly emotional, but I can be emotional. I don't think I've had a good cry in years. Emotional doesn't mean just crying and feeling sad though. Not saying that was exactly what you were hinting at. I think there are advantages to being emotional.

·
Fun...Fluid...Formidable
7,159 Posts
I can't be around my father either. But, your weepiness etc could be diet related. Cleaning up my diet always helps in this area.

·
The Phoenix
381 Posts
My feelings are this:

Guys aren't supposed to express any emotions as it is a sign of weakness
Weakness is highly unattractive and undesirable in the eyes of my peers
I am a guy

Therefore:

I'm not supposed to express emotion because then I will appear weak and unwanted.

Kinda sucks and sounds completely irrational because there are times I want to, but I just feel like I shouldn't express anything. Part of why I usually have an expressionless look on my face most of the time around strangers. At least being around people I know I can loosen up a bit, but that initial coldness makes it REALLY hard to meet people.

·
Banned
877 Posts
I get very emotional on various occasions, ranging from being shout at or just flat out dealing with authoritative figures.

Being judged wrongly bothers me, the things people do to me that I'd probably never ever do to them annoy me as well. I never express my feelings and I just hold on to a lot of these things. This keep people in check, believe it or not. I'm usually respected for putting up such a somber front but people have no idea about the clown within. Little by little, my feelings will them emerge from my writing, and many other things I do.

Even if it's just a basketball game, stress and anger would get burned off by just playing a friendly game and forgetting about my emotional state.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It hurts to see my mum when she sees me having an "episode". My mother cried today after she saw me break down in front of her. It kind of broke my heart considering how much my mother gave up to raise me and my brothers. She's almost 50 and here I am giving her all these problems.

Makes me feel quite sick with guilt really.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts