Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in a bad place at work. It's in a high stakes consultancy firm, and my boss is a la Glen C. in Devil Wears Prada.

Anyway, my anxiety has just gotten worse and worse, and I've made mistakes because of it, and because, hey I'm human and I'm trying to get a lot of work done for them. Well, I've decided to turn in my resignation on Wednesday because things are getting worse. I made a HUGE mistake today when I sent out an incorrect email, twice, to a group of potential networkers and clients. Oh boy, I actually felt nauseous when I realized my mistake! It was so juvenile, but I was using a new technology, and I was trying to rush through it to get to my other work.

Although I've been thinking about leaving for a loooong time now, I feel like **** about it, and I can't help but feel if I didn't have the SA things would have been a lot easier for me there. May be I'd still even be okay with working there.

Has anyone else found themselves quitting or being laid off because of SA related issues?

Just curious. I've got one job prospect lined up right now, and a little money in savings, but I'm terrified of trying to find a job in this economy if that other position doesn't work out. I listen to NPR obsessively and all the gloom and doom about the job market has just made my anxiousness even worse.

Can anyone relate?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have definitely quit a job due to social anxiety and this is the reason I realized I had a problem in January and I want to do something about it. I joined a social anxiety support group in March but the group is not treatment it is a form of support. I am currently looking for treatment.

·
Lost
342 Posts
Yeah haha I started another thread about this.

Yeah you're just gonna have to stick it out or hope that other prosect works out...good luck with that.

I quit my first professional job last year because of sa. I would have been fired, but I decided to jump before I was pushed. So yeah I can totally relate...like I had major anxiety issues at work...I just couldn't handle getting up and talking to all these people that I had to get along with...it was such a nightmare! so thats when I realised I had a serious problem too...because sa is already getting in the way of my social and family life...but now its stuffing up my work career.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yep.. working in a restaurant with lots of over going chefs and really hot waitresses who just talk and talk and talk.

I had to wash dishes, I was the only one wearing a white getup, everyone wore black. Made me feel like a even bigger loser, even though it was entirely normal considering I was the youngest and least experienced.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was fired from my last job because I couldn't make small talk with the customers. I worked with dogs which was great. They didn't judge me. But apparently their owners and my boss did. :blank

·
Simon Says...
1,693 Posts
Oh well, don't worry...

The upside of the global recession is that with everyone losing their jobs, us folk aren't under pressure to get one and won't be considered lazy if we sit at home unemployed all day :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I can relate. I've had some jobs in the past, but they were nothing I was into anyways. I was miserable because of the jobs themselves, but because my SA has gotten the best of me, I am now trapped in my current position.

I SHOULD be starting internships at ad agencies or PR firms, but I'm so afraid of talking to people and screwing up cause I know I will. I'm beginning and learning.

I applied at this one firm, but found out a girl in my program interned there for one day. She finished training, made a mistake her first day, and the facility director yelled at her. She quit that day. I then declined the position. I don't need or want that crap.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I had to quit a job. When I started having SA problems last year I was working on commission in retail sales. I do not think there is a worse job for SA than that. It was a fairly high pressure / high stress situation. In order to make money, I had to talk comfortably with as many people as possible. I survived the two months, but it seemed clear that I would have to find something else to avoid ex/imploding from the stress.

I had worked there for almost two years, but I only made it through about two months with the anxiety. After that I tried doing data entry / insurance work for a small chiropractic practice that was run by someone I know. Then the owner fell on hard times and was not able to pay me anymore. Now I'm looking for work again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.