Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,441 Posts
With how things are right now, I think even any success with the athletes or memories, it would've lost a lot of its meaning and appeal. And with so many uncertainties looming, I imagine it is rather psychologically and mentally bad for athletes. Honestly I think it should have been cancelled altogether. It just looks outright depressing. But big corporate $ refuses to budge. Which as a whole has been what the entire Olympics has been about in reality. Unless you're in a very popular sport and wealthy country, winning an olympic medal for majority of these athletes will mean and matter very little not long down the line. Especially more so for random spectators. It honestly just makes me question more and more why it's even appealing to people other than the participants and their families or loved ones. Although I am speaking as someone who generally lacks patriotism.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Blue Dino Oh I don’t like patriotism either but I get easily caught up in the excitement and tension topsport brings, I’m not particularly rooting for anyone. I love watching it because it brings attention to sports that normally don’t get any attention like gymnastics or swimming or even minor sports like mountainbike or weight lifting.

yes it is all about money mainly for the olympic committee, if they fail to organise it it could mean the end of the Olympics, already lots of money is lost because no spectators are allowed. The cities that organise it usually don’t gain much from it, I always wondered why they wanna organise it in the first place. Same story with the Eurovision songfestival.

As for the sporters, it is pretty much the highlight of anyone’s career, it is about competition and honor for them not money.

·
Super Moderator
8,441 Posts
@Blue Dino Oh I don’t like patriotism either but I get easily caught up in the excitement and tension topsport brings, I’m not particularly rooting for anyone. I love watching it because it brings attention to sports that normally don’t get any attention like gymnastics or swimming or even minor sports like mountainbike or weight lifting.

yes it is all about money mainly for the olympic committee, if they fail to organise it it could mean the end of the Olympics, already lots of money is lost because no spectators are allowed. The cities that organise it usually don’t gain much from it, I always wondered why they wanna organise it in the first place. Same story with the Eurovision songfestival.

As for the sporters, it is pretty much the highlight of anyone’s career, it is about competition and honor for them not money.
Where I live, the channel that broadcasts it usually only cover the popular sports that our country is good at from what I remember. Or sports with athletes that they can use to tug on the household's heartstrings. Gymnastics, swimming, track and field. All of the other sports are largely ignored and unmentioned.

·
banana enthusiast
7,067 Posts
I usually watch it, but apparently the opening ceremony was today and I didn't even know about it. There was practically no fanfare and no announcement about it that I saw on any social media. The NHL draft is today too, and I was going to check that out.

·
Failure's Art
2,487 Posts
Maybe the women's soccer. If it's in Japan though it will probably be on at a weird time. I think I'd be more likely to watch it if there were crowds. Not so much for the sport but just because it's this global event which I find intriguing.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I’ll watch the woman’s gymnastics. I never really took an interest to it before but I think Simone Biles is probably the best gymnast ever and so I find her amazing to watch. Not interested in anything else I like ice skating since I do it but that’s not on as it in the Winter Olympics part.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,371 Posts
My mum usually watches it, I don't find it interesting at all. I think it's a combination of not really getting any enjoyment out of watching sports and also knowing that competition against others doesn't make much sense because you have different genetics etc. I'm sort of interested in skateboarding (Olympic debut,) but I don't think enough to watch it.

Oh but this one is sort of significant because I made a bet with myself that by the time this Olympics happened I'd have done something which I didn't lol but I think I kind of knew that. That's why I stopped making resolutions or setting goals years ago.

Reactions: rabidfoxes

·
Registered
578 Posts
Yes!! I love the Olympics and watching all the countries compete together. Loved the opening ceremony yesterday - more muted than past events for obvious reasons, but still a great showpiece. Looking forward to seeing Team GB rack up the medals! x

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
I like watching Olympic weightlifting, pretty much the only time you can see it is during the olympics. Also I like to watch track and field and gymnastics and maybe some swimming and diving. Though watching swimming will just make me sad I don't have a pool to go swimming in. I had an above ground pool(4'X24' diameter) to swim in growing up and it was great on a hot day.

·
experimental sincerity
1,398 Posts
I think it's ridiculous that it's going ahead. Very sad for the Japanese, especially reading how governors of different regions are requested to keep hospital beds for the athletes when their people are dying of Covid19.

That aside, I'd watch the games if someone else wanted to do it. Then it's a social event and I can get into the atmosphere. I don't really enjoy watching sports otherwise, to me it's a bit like watching someone else play a computer game: why? But different strokes for different folks, I guess!

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Eh, I figure it should've been cancelled. There will be nobody left to compete! Why they continue to ASYMPTOMATIC AND VACCINATED people with a PCR test that can pick up any viral material and not even know if the person is actually infected or not or contagious either is beyond me!!! If they don't stop with all this PCR testing like that, expect it to be the same for years to come.. A "permanent" pandemic. Sigh.

Overall I don't think Japan wanted to host it anyway. It's really a waste of money to the hosting country/city anyway, because they have to build all of these huge venues as well as upgrade roads, infrastructure and transportation for just this one event, and many of these venues become wasted/useless space that never gets used again.

·
Registered
---------------------------- ▓▓▓▓Groovy▓▓▓▓
7,828 Posts
I've never been interested in sports, I didn't even know that the Olympics were happening until yesterday when I turned on my Roku and saw the background had changed. To be fair, I haven't had much interest in the news and have mostly been sticking to my own hobbies for the past few weeks, then I started playing ffxiv, and most recently have been watching the insanity unfold on the World of Warcraft forums.

But yeah, the competitive stuffs have never been appealing to me. I'm more interested in fantasy based virtual world stuffs.

·
SAS Member
2,533 Posts
I like watching but it's hard without cable. Also for some reason the US only likes to show when it's an American competing. I'd like to see other countries too

·
Super Moderator
8,441 Posts
It's kind of nice seeing some of the top popular mainstream athletes having no qualms about withdrawing from the olympics due to mental health and being publicly opened about it. Hopefully this helps further decreases the stigma of it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts