Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I know this is a one in a million shot but what the hey. Basically need to extract the vocals from the instrumentals in a song. Now I know acapella websites are a good source of vocal only songs but a fair amount of the songs I'm looking for are not coming up. I know the usual comparison to getting vocals out of a song is like getting eggs out of a cake once its been baked but I'm wondering if anyone knows any half decent ways of separating vocals even if there is a bit of reverb present.

I'm going to expect 0 replies ;]

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have been looking into Audacity techniques. Easier to mute vocals using Audacity but not extract them. Although supposedly a couple of youtube members reckon they know how to do it but been following them online and not working so far.

Doesn't help that I'm still new to Audacity but I'm cramming my head full of a couple of music production programs right now that learning fully another music software might implode my mind.

·
Registered
292 Posts

·
Day Of The Dead
945 Posts
If you can manage to get the song and an instrumental version you can usually isolate the vocals. There was a video on youtube showing how to do it, something to do with inverting the tracks and wavelengths or something. No idea what that means, but it apparently works.

·
Banned
1,299 Posts
Awhile ago I was trying to do this. I looked on many producing forums and all over the web. In the end I wasn't able to find anything. Unless the vocals and instruments are coming out of seperate channels you're not going to be able to isolate the vocals.

·
Banned
1,299 Posts
I was trying to find the program that I used to do it awhile back which removed some of the instruments but I can't find it.

Here's an explanation on what you can do that I just found though:

You can remove a substantial amount of the track but will never remove all traces of the original track. Firstly if you take the track and run it in Wavelab (for example) you can use the MS plugin (Middle & side) split so that on one speaker you will have what was panned to the sides and from the other speaker you will now have what was in the centre of the stereo field. This is because 9 times out of ten the vocal is panned to the centre and guitars & synths normally are panned around a bit either left or right. OK so now you've probably got the vocal and the bass together. Bass is usually panned centrally coz low frequency sounds impart very little spatial information and thus they get stuck in the centre with the vocal. Anyway... using some EQ you should be able to remove a substantial amount of the bass leaving the vocal clean (ish). However, much of the time the kick and snare drums are pretty central too and they will "leak" into the vocal you want. Sorry mate but that's just the way things are. You can get very clever with EQ & filters but at the end of the day it'll never be clean - or clean enough to use on it's own without other things in your mix to cover them up.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
If you can manage to get the song and an instrumental version you can usually isolate the vocals. There was a video on youtube showing how to do it, something to do with inverting the tracks and wavelengths or something. No idea what that means, but it apparently works.
yeah this is the only way... You have to find an instrumental version, reverse the polarity and combine it with the original, the opposite polarities cancel each other out and you're left with the vocals. But like you said it's like getting eggs out of a baked cake ;)

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
At this time, there is no way to cleanly seperate songs.

Although there is a program called 'Hit'n'Mix' which claims to be able to this but its crap. Techradar gave it a 2/5 review. However they are bringing out Hit n Mix 2 out later this year which is supposed to be much better, i guess we'll see though. But yeah, some software which could properly seperate components from songs would be very, very useful!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.