Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
~CaCoPhOnOuS PiNDroP~
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started learning Japanese a few days ago and am going all out with it. I think it would be easier if I practiced with someone else. I haven't found anyone yet that's into it as much as me, so I figured I'd post here.

I know how to read and write 25 characters in Hiragana so far, and know a few phrases. I have a good audio book and another great learning tool I don't mind sharing.
So If you're really Interested, drop a message here or you can pm me. :)

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
I've always been fascinated by Asian languages and culture. The philosophy and marital arts is interesting, but no I am not interested in learning the language. I hope you find someone to practice with. I like your screenname.

·
~CaCoPhOnOuS PiNDroP~
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why, thank you. Yea the culture seems cool and Japan seems like a wonderful place to visit

·
Protector of the Den
15,034 Posts
I would like to learn the language. Someday I'd like to visit Japan. Since I already like anime, it would seem like I could get a lot of practice with understanding the words

·
Registered
330 Posts
As a Japanophile (read: weeaboo :b), yeah, I'm interested in learning Japanese and perhaps some day, even living in this most beautiful country. I wonder if my anxiety and severe depression would allow me this simple pleasure. :|

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
I rather learn Farsi so when my Supervisor tires he starts to think in Farsi. Also, it would help to understand when his mother calls from Iran. She doesn't say much in English just hello and can ask for my supervisor, but doesn't understand when I tell her where he is. I wish they would just send her to voice mail. She can speak all the Farsi she wants. :lol

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I couldn't even handle German in HS that at least has a vastly closer relation to English than do Asian languages.

·
Registered
61 Posts
A year ago, I had a private tutor for learning Japanese, she was a native speaker. A gorgeous language, but I had to give it up after a month as it drained me of money. All I know now is how to say hello, pleased to meet you, and introduce myself. Never mind! :D

It can be quite annoying sometimes - I learnt all of the Hiragana, knew it off by heart, but as soon as they started showing me Katakana, I was all over the place and felt useless.

But don't give up! Having a second language us useful and impressive, and Japanese would be one of, if not the best one to do just that.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hajimemash*te! Watashi no namae wa Cheerio des! Dozo yoroshiku! :) [Translation: How are you? My name is Cheerio! Nice to meet you!] I took a semester of Japanese in college but that's basically all I remember. haha. Sumimasen! I'd really like to learn Japanese too since I WILL visit Japan...one day...I hope.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
I've been wanting to get the Rosetta Stone for Japanese for some time now. I know some basic phrases, none of the alphabets though.

I'd also like to visit.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
A year ago, I had a private tutor for learning Japanese, she was a native speaker. A gorgeous language, but I had to give it up after a month as it drained me of money. All I know now is how to say hello, pleased to meet you, and introduce myself. Never mind! :D

It can be quite annoying sometimes - I learnt all of the Hiragana, knew it off by heart, but as soon as they started showing me Katakana, I was all over the place and felt useless.

But don't give up! Having a second language us useful and impressive, and Japanese would be one of, if not the best one to do just that.
Japanese is NOT a gorgeous language. I mean, the vocabulary is vast and descriptive, but its execution is not very eloquent. Japanese speech has a very rough texture to it, as well as grunts, repeated words (like "doki doki" or "peko peko"), and a totally mistaken way of mimicking english sounds (example: the word 'McDonald's' is pronounced "mak ku donarudo" in Japanese, and has no sense of the word pertaining/belonging to a person).

but, like I said, it's got some fantastically descriptive words aside from the odd ones mentioned.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Japanese speech has a very rough texture to it, as well as grunts, repeated words (like "doki doki" or "peko peko")
Really. Like how can "ee" be "yes"? It's just a grunt. But yeah, I like the language and am learning it somewhat.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm interested! I tried to learn Japanese a couple years ago but didn't retain any of it. It's so difficult to discipline yourself enough to keep practicing...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm really into it actually =) Japan is one of the country I think is the most interesting, and want to visit it and get into because it's just so different than where I live And the language, well I already speak a lot. My main problem is with the Kanji learning, I still don't know a lot!

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
I went to japan for 13 days, last summer, and it was awesome. Took so many pics. I got by on pointing and the 8 japanese words i knew. I want to go back, so i'd like to learn the language.

·
SOUTHPAW
340 Posts
I live in Montreal and need to work on my French since it is kind of meh. I grew up in a very chinese populated area (vancouver) and actually went to Mandarin school when I was younger for one year with my Chinese friend haha, I am stuck on deciding whether or not I want to learn Chinese (Mandarin/Cantonese) or Japanese... Chinese would be more practical since my girlfriend is Chinese and there is a heavy Chinese population here in Canada, but I really like the sound of Japanese more.. tough decision.

·
Banned
1,918 Posts
I took Japanese in high school. The first year was great! It was so easy, the grammar is simple, and hiragna and katana it's just like learning the alphabet. Second year, nearly flunk the class. Kanji is awful and we were expected to memorize about 80 of them, which is the equivalent level of a 1st grader in Japan.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I went to japan for 13 days, last summer, and it was awesome. Took so many pics. I got by on pointing and the 8 japanese words i knew. I want to go back, so i'd like to learn the language.
Pro necro bump.

Anyway, I took two years of Japanese in high school. Couldn't be bothered with any more than that. Someone give me a heads up when the Japanese incorporate this magical tool we call a space bar- at that point I'll consider getting back into it.

·
✧・゚Sweet Dreams・&#6543
2,130 Posts
Interested? = Yes
Going to learn Japenese? = No

I only know like 4 words in Japenese.. or was that chinese..? D:
Oh well, all I know is I'll fail terribly trying to learn. I'm already wanting to know Cebuano, so I guess one language at a time. xD

1 - 20 of 28 Posts