Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Permanently Baned
2,594 Posts
Different strokes for different folkies.

I work in an IT department for a major bank doing various server, desktop hardware, and networking equipment stuff. Do a lot of programming/scripting as well to support the infrastructure. I studied Computer Science and various engineering (chemical, electrical, and nuclear).

There are people who make more than me in my IT department who studied business school, history, etc. There are some people here who don't even have 4 year degrees at all and made it up the ranks of IT starting from Helpdesk and progressively got to 3rd level teams. Also, the upper managers in my IT department actually studied accounting or finance or something. Have no idea how they got where they are, but that's beside the point.

·
Optimism Prime~
7,122 Posts
Different strokes for different folkies.

I work in an IT department for a major bank doing various server, desktop hardware, and networking equipment stuff. Do a lot of programming/scripting as well to support the infrastructure. I studied Computer Science and various engineering (chemical, electrical, and nuclear).

There are people who make more than me in my IT department who studied business school, history, etc. There are some people here who don't even have 4 year degrees at all and made it up the ranks of IT starting from Helpdesk and progressively got to 3rd level teams. Also, the upper managers in my IT department actually studied accounting or finance or something. Have no idea how they got where they are, but that's beside the point.
They may have been good at office politics, if I were to take a guess.

On a side note, you studied nuclear engineering?! :eek::nw

·
Permanently Baned
2,594 Posts
They may have been good at office politics, if I were to take a guess.

On a side note, you studied nuclear engineering?! :eek::nw
Yes, I collected 5 degrees including 2 masters as an insurance policy to being brutally shy.

It really is our lot in life. I took calculus when I was 13 years old and wrote assembly language and Pascal and C/C++ programs and graduated with my first degree before turning 18, yet many years later I'm now reporting to someone who probably never even took calculus. My bossages even like to tell me they don't know how to script/program which makes me go home often and wonder where the hell did my life go wrong?

·
Moron
4,621 Posts
cavemanslaststand said:
There are people who make more than me in my IT department who studied business school, history, etc.
System analyst you mean? My cousin made good cash working at MTS (Allstream now) as an analyst. He did have a physics degree as well as philosophy of science degree. I think he knew Rex and COBOL because they ran on IBM z/OS at MTS. He added the business background while he worked there.

I can configure my Config.sys and Autoexec.bat to free up conventional memory. :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts