Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this probably seems really stupid to people who are skeptical or don't believe in this stuff, but its important t to me. I'm 14 years old, and I was only a baby when I was baptised Catholic, my whole family is Catholic also. I believe in God, but I'm not sure I can be defined as Catholic because I don't believe in everything the Catholic church requires you to believe in, with all due respect to anyone who does. This year I've started to become fascinated with the Buddhist religion, although I wouldn't call myself buddhist just yet because I still don't know everything about Buddhism. But thats not what I'm wondering. What I'm wondering is, does anyone know anything about past lives? Like finding out who you were in a past life or how your past life affects your anxiety and/or your life now? Please, I'm looking for any replies from little things you've heard, things you actually know about it and/or your own experiences.
P.S I know this should be in the Spirituality section, but all the threads there seemed to be about Jesus so I thought it wasn't appropriate.

·
Byebye SAS.
2,957 Posts
what are you experiencing? (yeah I was spiritual, more like close to God).

I don't know about ghosts, I believe "ghosts" is just a symbolic term we humans use, after someone passes away. Also, past lives? Not sure about this, but I don't think that, I think we're just living this one, but real things happen. Time itself is real, that's what I discovered, hope this helps you realize, reality is very real. If you don't believe me, that's k too.

If you feel something that seems true, it probably is.

·
Registered
554 Posts
You're young and that's not a stupid question. Very admirable that you're exploring different possibilities. Buddhist philosophy is interesting and I agree with a lot of it in regards to ethical issues, respecting other lives and materialism.

However, there is no evidence (and no way of getting evidence) that people have past lives. When there's no way to get evidence of something it's usually a good sign that people with vivid imaginations back in the day made it up because they wanted to understand the world but didn't have the means to.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what are you experiencing? (yeah I was spiritual, more like close to God).

I don't know about ghosts, I believe "ghosts" is just a symbolic term we humans use, after someone passes away. Also, past lives? Not sure about this, but I don't think that, I think we're just living this one, but real things happen. Time itself is real, that's what I discovered, hope this helps you realize, reality is very real. If you don't believe me, that's k too.

If you feel something that seems true, it probably is.
Thank you for your opinion, and I do believe you. I believe in reality and time. I'm just thinking about different possibilities and seeing if their are any connections.

·
An Annoying person
4,937 Posts
I don't know much about past lives, but one thing you should know is, it's very good to have an interest in these questions, however, you should maintain a degree of skeptisism. Not because it's "stupid" but just because it's easy to start believing in something if you really want it to be true. Look at all the available evidence and don't jump to conclusions. For example, I love researching stuff like ghosts, aliens, vampires, werewolves etc. but to be honest, I don't believe any of it.

14 is a good age to start asking yourself those questions, though you may not find a belief that sticks with you immediately. Good luck and I hope you find what you're looking for :).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're young and that's not a stupid question. Very admirable that you're exploring different possibilities. Buddhist philosophy is interesting and I agree with a lot of it in regards to ethical issues, respecting other lives and materialism.

However, there is no evidence (and no way of getting evidence) that people have past lives. When there's no way to get evidence of something it's usually a good sign that people with vivid imaginations back in the day made it up because they wanted to understand the world but didn't have the means to.
Your point about evidence is so very true, and couldn't be more right. However, I think this 'no evidence' thing applies to a lot of things. For example, there is no physical evidence that God created Earth and Jesus was the son of God, its all down to faith and what you believe in. Many Catholics/Christians believe that it is not an act of sin that will send you to hell, but wether you have faith in God, for God will redeem your sins and you will go to Heaven when you die if you believe in him/her?.
One of the main things that attracts me to Buddhism is the ethnical issues, respecting others, peace and meditation and materialism also.
I really value your opinion, thank you for sharing it with me.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Great question. From one perspective, past lives exist and from another they don't. This has to do with the way humans see time as linear when it really isn't. When time is seen as illusion and the present moment being the only moment there is, past and future don't exist; only Now. However what you find that in this present moment there is an aspect of you which is formless and immortal (the soul/consciousness) and there is an aspect which is mental as well as physical. When you see the soul in terms of a mental interpretation, it is very easy to conclude that you had a past life, because you consciousness is not fixed to your brain but is a fragment of universal energy which can neither be created nor destroyed.

When you transcend the ego/mind you realize you are all there is and all there ever will be; infinite and unbounded by the illusion of physical matter. It is possible to access past lives when you attain higher levels of consciousness and through astral travel. If you practice lucid dreaming then you can request to have a past life shown to you. To be honest I have not done this yet.

The journey you went on in a past life sets you up for what you want to experience in this life. We are not burdened by our past lives necessarily, but in order to continue learning, we choose to incarnate into families/societies which would benefit us and bring us closer to Oneness.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know much about past lives, but one thing you should know is, it's very good to have an interest in these questions, however, you should maintain a degree of skeptisism. Not because it's "stupid" but just because it's easy to start believing in something if you really want it to be true. Look at all the available evidence and don't jump to conclusions. For example, I love researching stuff like ghosts, aliens, vampires, werewolves etc. but to be honest, I don't believe any of it.

14 is a good age to start asking yourself those questions, though you may not find a belief that sticks with you immediately. Good luck and I hope you find what you're looking for :).
Yes again, a lot of things don't have physical evidence but it all comes down to faith I guess. I am still a little skeptical about these things of course, because they are new to me and I'm still figuring out what I believe in, I may never find it but I hope I can just be at peace and be content with my life one day. Thank you for your opinion and well wishes

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great question. From one perspective, past lives exist and from another they don't. This has to do with the way humans see time as linear when it really isn't. When time is seen as illusion and the present moment being the only moment there is, past and future don't exist; only Now. However what you find that in this present moment there is an aspect of you which is formless and immortal (the soul/consciousness) and there is an aspect which is mental as well as physical. When you see the soul in terms of a mental interpretation, it is very easy to conclude that you had a past life, because you consciousness is not fixed to your brain but is a fragment of universal energy which can neither be created nor destroyed.

When you transcend the ego/mind you realize you are all there is and all there ever will be; infinite and unbounded by the illusion of physical matter. It is possible to access past lives when you attain higher levels of consciousness and through astral travel. If you practice lucid dreaming then you can request to have a past life shown to you. To be honest I have not done this yet.

The journey you went on in a past life sets you up for what you want to experience in this life. We are not burdened by our past lives necessarily, but in order to continue learning, we choose to incarnate into families/societies which would benefit us and bring us closer to Oneness.
Oh My Gosh! Thank you so much for such an informative and well written reply! Can I ask, what are your experiences and have you done any research on this in particular? You just seem so very well informed and I was wondering if you've studied this kind of spirituality, or you believe in past lives etc? and if its not too much to ask, if you have done research, could you tell me the books/websites/other forms of information you've learnt this from?

·
Byebye SAS.
2,957 Posts
Thank you for your opinion, and I do believe you. I believe in reality and time. I'm just thinking about different possibilities and seeing if their are any connections.
In my experience I sense some woman from the past and spiritually we connect at times. I post all the time here I am different, but no one is aware about these things, that no one notices what I meant. Well, for me it was real, of course the initial thought is uh yeaaaah right! But I mean things happen on Earth, and who's to say God is not watching. I think he is watching us all... I now believe everything happens, and it has brought me great wisdom.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In my experience I sense some woman from the past and spiritually we connect at times. I post all the time here I am different, but no one is aware about these things, that no one notices what I meant. Well, for me it was real, of course the initial thought is uh yeaaaah right! But I mean things happen on Earth, and who's to say God is not watching. I think he is watching us all... I now believe everything happens, and it has brought me great wisdom.
That is really fascinating :) I can't sense a being, but Ifeel like if I was reincarnated, I would've lived in the 40s/50s/60s Im feeling a really strong connection to the 1950s, everything about that era fascinates me. I like to dress in 1950's clothing, the makeup, hair, cars, movies etc. But espicially the history. Particularly American history in the 1950s, & I have a feelings I could've been African American, because I feel a strong connection and passion into the civil rights movement, even though I am a white Australian. I will do heaps of research and look into it :) I wonder who this female being of yours could be? A guardian prehaps?

·
Byebye SAS.
2,957 Posts
That is really fascinating :) I can't sense a being, but Ifeel like if I was reincarnated, I would've lived in the 40s/50s/60s Im feeling a really strong connection to the 1950s, everything about that era fascinates me. I like to dress in 1950's clothing, the makeup, hair, cars, movies etc. But espicially the history. Particularly American history in the 1950s, & I have a feelings I could've been African American, because I feel a strong connection and passion into the civil rights movement, even though I am a white Australian. I will do heaps of research and look into it :) I wonder who this female being of yours could be? A guardian prehaps?
Honestly, from what I know, anything can be real, there's some reason you truly feel this way. My best friend and only friend, I trust to tell, says she feels the alien beings. Which has been going on since a child.

I actually know her (the woman) and everything about it, but I am so fed up of being the only one like this... and knowing that no one would believe me that I don't bother, or care to tell anyone. If you knew it'd blow your blind...... but I'm beyond silly games, :b I just want to live. Well, this female is a spiritual guidance, but from what I know we both don't get it... also I wonder so so often, if someone else in this world has all this too. Because it's real...

Another thing is, I even read in the Quran once and even in the Bible it says something, about some people being different. I am always led into something to blow my mind, I'm just not like others.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Oh My Gosh! Thank you so much for such an informative and well written reply! Can I ask, what are your experiences and have you done any research on this in particular? You just seem so very well informed and I was wondering if you've studied this kind of spirituality, or you believe in past lives etc? and if its not too much to ask, if you have done research, could you tell me the books/websites/other forms of information you've learnt this from?
I haven't been able to access my past lives as of yet, I've tried through hypnosis but I can't relax enough to allow my subconscious to open up. I am just someone who is really into spirituality and meditation. The truth of who you are is found within :). There are some books I have read regarding spirituality such as Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle, Lifting the Veil of Duality by Andreas Moritz but I read them more for entertainment.

If you would like to discover the truth, all you need to do is practice Vipassana meditation. With this meditation, the real answers of who you are, Oneness and immortality are realized. The truth cannot be explained, taught, learned, or accepted through evidence (evidence is subjective). The truth is something you have to realize for yourself. Once you increase you level of consciousness, you will be able to confirm the answer that I provided you with in the previous post. When you get caught up in research and books, you are just memorizing intellectual concepts and putting in new belief systems in your mind and fueling your ego. The truth is about detaching from all your established belief systems and ideas and seeing what remains.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm something of a born-again Christian after some years basically in the occult. Turning back to YHWH has been the biggest lesson in objective thinking, for me. I don't care what folks say...

There is a reality of a spiritual world out there, ay.

·
Byebye SAS.
2,957 Posts
God doesn't exist.
Ghost's don't exist.
Past lives don't exist.

Simple.
you know what I was commenting and now I don't want too.

Believe what you want, call that "rational". Your choice.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
God doesn't exist.
Ghost's don't exist.
Past lives don't exist.

Simple.
I respect what you believe in, but I specifically asked for someone who was spiritual and did believe in this stuff. I also said that my question seemed stupid to people who are skeptical or don't believe in this stuff, and you are just making me and other people feel stupid and like no one believes us . You wouldn't go to a muslim person and tell them that what they believe is stupid, you shouldn't do it to anyone, so please don't do it to us. The a public website and as long as we are not preaching hate, we have the right to share what we believe in, or ask questions about it. Freedom of speech, 'It doesn't mean we have to agree with what's being said, but it means we have the right to say what we believe.'

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm something of a born-again Christian after some years basically in the occult. Turning back to YHWH has been the biggest lesson in objective thinking, for me. I don't care what folks say...

There is a reality of a spiritual world out there, ay.
I believe so, but I'm still figuring it out :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you know what I was commenting and now I don't want too.

Believe what you want, call that "rational". Your choice.
I'm sorry about that, but I want you to know that I'm fascinated by anything you tell me and I started this thread so negative people don't matter.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi. What great questions to ask! It's impressive that you're already questioning things like this at your age. Everyone has good advice, but Kenan A in particular really has some great insights.

What he describes mirrors my own experiences precisely, and it's especially true when he mentions that while it is nice to read spiritual books and scriptures, the only way to truly advance on the spiritual path is through direct, personal experience, which always involves looking within. Ultimately, truth cannot be described or explained, and there is no way to "think" your way to peace and happiness (this is why the Bible refers to the indescribable ecstasy that always accompanies movement from darkness to light as "the peace that surpasses all understanding.") Every spiritual tradition has a similar description for the same overwhelmingly blissful experience which is beyond all words. As one spiritual master said, "The spiritual life begins where the intellect ends."

The truth about how things are in their true nature, which is actually perfect (even SA!!), can only be lived. All words fall short, and even the most poetic and greatest scriptures must be seen as simply signposts pointing the way forward. An example of this can be seen in the way the word "love" falls hopelessly short of actually describing what it feels like to be in love.

What you will ultimately find is that you really don't have to subscribe to any one person's teachings. All spiritual roads that preach love, compassion, generosity, forgiveness, truth, peace, etc. all lead to the same goal. In the semi-famous words of my spiritual mentor's teacher, "We are not human beings having a spiritual experience, we are spiritual beings having a human experience."

Vipassana meditation is of great benefit, and it has helped me in uncountable ways. I wish you the very best in all your efforts!

P.S. If I had to recommend someone to look into, there is a great Indian saint named Sri Ramakrishna. He was an amazing spirit, and while there are several very good books about him, I'd recommend reading either "The Teachings of Sri Ramakrishna" or "The Sayings of Sri Ramakrishna". Both are inexpressibly good and useful.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts