Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Anyone here over the age of 22 who never went to college/uni?

2K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  bluenotebooks 
#1 ·
Do you regret it? What is your current job?

#18 ·
Sounds like my reasoning. There were far too many paths to choose from for me to be comfortable settling on one. Plus, the thought of being burdened with thousands in loans, which may or may not take years to pay back (if I were even able to do so at all) was pretty scary.

Same here. I'm from a very working class area where barely anyone goes to uni. Most people here seem happy just go straight into **** jobs.

I should have gone to college/uni really because im not cut out for working crappy manual labour jobs, but i knew i wouldnt have been able to handle meeting all those new people and sharing houses with strangers and all that. Plus i hated school anyway and the thought of spending another 5 years in education did not appeal to me. But working dead end jobs does not appeal to me either. So either way im screwed.
:ditto to all this. One of my first cousins is the only person in my immediate family who went to college, afaik. He earned a degree in computer science, but after all these years, still works at a local restaurant. I despise doing low-class, soul-numbing work only a step above slavery, but it's all I feel capable of handling.

I did 6 months of a post secondary music production course after I finished high school but dropped out due to anxiety, I've not done any type of school since. I think I regret not finishing that course but I can't say I regret not enrolling in a regular college/university, it's expensive as hell & I simply have no clue what direction I would want to go with studies.

Currently I work nights driving forklifts & stocking, it's not a great job but other than the poor management I don't mind it. The main reason I took this job is to get official forklift certification. I don't have any life plans but I figure with the licence I should always be able to find some work if nothing else
Yeah, forklift drivers seem to always be in demand, at least around here. Not that bad a wage, either. You do have an ear for music and the talent for writing, enough to go places if you get your stuff out there, I believe.

Appreciate the replies.

#6 ·
I didn't go but I think if I had I would not have enjoyed it and made the most of the college experience. My attitude was not in the right place when I graduated highschool, but it has improved alot since then, so I do not regret having to go later.

#7 ·
I'm 36 and never went to college. I was lucky enough to find a job right out of high school as an apprentice auto tech which turned into a full time career. No regrets, I felt I could learn far more through real world experience than sitting in a classroom. I've worked in the past with a few guys who were fresh out of tech school and they were completely lost. Experience matters most in skilled trades, I recently turned down a job offer from a large Chevrolet/Cadillac dealership that offered great pay and benefits based on my experience level and certifications.

#14 ·
^Dave demonstrates one thing that's wrong with our educational system. You can go to Starbucks to see a whole herd of folks with liberal arts degrees serving fancy coffee, using their tips to pay off massive student loans.

Dave missed out on vital things like art appreciation, but he has a career. Wonder which is more important?

#9 ·
I haven't been to college yet... I'm hoping to apply within a few years though. Unfortunately I still have to redo a prerequisite high school course which I'm planning to take next year. :\ What I regret is deciding not to take this course in an actual classroom setting... if I did, I think I would have passed and would not have had to worry about it now!

#10 ·
I started college right before I turned 23 and after I lost the job I had at the time. I'm glad to be going now. If nothing else I'm actually very pleased with how much I've learned, whereas before I was doing it with the main purpose of finding a better job. That is still the end goal of course, but I would much prefer to have my current education over a job the past couple years. It has also helped to boost my confidence somewhat by proving to myself that I can get through college and do well. I can see how it might not be the right choice for everyone though.

#12 ·
Same here. I'm from a very working class area where barely anyone goes to uni. Most people here seem happy just go straight into **** jobs.

I should have gone to college/uni really because im not cut out for working crappy manual labour jobs, but i knew i wouldnt have been able to handle meeting all those new people and sharing houses with strangers and all that. Plus i hated school anyway and the thought of spending another 5 years in education did not appeal to me. But working dead end jobs does not appeal to me either. So either way im screwed.

#13 ·
Current job: None

My last job ended in May 1995 if we include student in the definition of "job."

I graduated from the University of Wisconsin in May 1995, just a couple weeks after my 22nd birthday. I have a degree in finance.

I regret going to college. It was a total waste of 4 years and at least $10,000 (adjust that for two decades of inflation). I didn't get a damn thing out of it, other than a slightly higher status with those who deem lacking a college education means you're an idiot.

I can't say that wasting years & a pile of money to end up never working is an act of great genius though.

#16 ·
I regret it, I wish I had a clue what I wanted to do with my life. Got alright marks at school didn't have a clue what to study so I took the first job I could get. 6 years later I'm still stacking shelves and everyone I knew has moved on with their lives

#17 ·
I did 6 months of a post secondary music production course after I finished high school but dropped out due to anxiety, I've not done any type of school since. I think I regret not finishing that course but I can't say I regret not enrolling in a regular college/university, it's expensive as hell & I simply have no clue what direction I would want to go with studies.

Currently I work nights driving forklifts & stocking, it's not a great job but other than the poor management I don't mind it. The main reason I took this job is to get official forklift certification. I don't have any life plans but I figure with the licence I should always be able to find some work if nothing else

#19 ·
Went to a trade school instead and became a massage therapist. I make between 200-400 dollars a day depending on how much clientele I get. I went to college before, but dropped out due to personal problems.

#21 ·
Some girls I'd pay them $200 a day to give them a massage...

#20 ·
I think taking it slow in college is better for some people. A lot of people straight out of HS have no idea exactly what field of study they truly are interested in and spend years and thousands of dollars "figuring themselves out."

#24 ·
I'm 27 and never finished college. I work for a bank processing fraud claims. It doesn't pay too great and it can get rather boring but I really don't mind it. My company does tuition reimbursement and I'm going back to school in January to pursue a degree in accounting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.