Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here been diagnosed with Complex PTSD? I have but am not sure if "diagnosed" is quite the right word since it isn't in DSM yet. although it's being used by T's to describe an array of symptoms that are similar to PTSD in some ways, but differ in others.

The main difference seems to be that Complex-PTSD results from ongoing emotional abuse/neglect ( abusive/neglectful parenting, bullying), while PTSD usually involves a specific traumatic event (witnessing a murder, fighting in a war).

Whereas when PTSD sufferers have flashbacks they typically replay the trauma visually in their minds and feel the feelings of fear, etc., "flashbacks" for those if us with CPTSD tend not to have a visual component (since it was not one event, but many/ongoing), but have emotional flashbacks, andfeel the abandonment, rejection, shame, fear, etc we felt when were growing up. SAD seems to be a co-morbidity or secondary disorder to C-PTSD based on what I've read so far.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear if you have been diagnosed or suspect you have Complex-PTSD. On reason I ask if that I tried EMDR which seems to work quite well for people with PTSD, but in my case triggered panic attacks. I suspect this was because C-PTSD involves layers of trauma versus traum from a specific incident, and disturbing those layers can be overwhelming. I haven't had an opportunity to discuss this with my new T but will be doing so at some point so hope to find out why I did react the way I did to EMDR.

Kizzie

·
Registered
67 Posts
Today was the first day I thought that maybe my SAD is linked to some sort of PTSD. My anxiety is worst when I play music, which is when I feel most fear of judgment. Made me wonder if some sort of childhood trauma brought this on. I run, but I never feel the anxiety with running races as I do with performing music. I discovered running in high school, after much of that brain chemistry already developed.

I was bullied a lot in school and at home by siblings. I wondered about PTSD...searched "PTSD" here and your post came up. I didn't know this existed. Sounds exactly like me. I get emotional flashbacks to my youth all the time. It's weird because I'm completely different now, live nowhere close to where I grew up.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Music 123 - sorry to hear you think you may have C-pTSD. It's not really well known but there is a great web site I can recommend. Google Pete Walker and go to his site. He's a T who has treated a lot of patients with C-PTSD and writes about emotional flashbacks (and social anxiety). There are a lot of triggers in daily life that send us flashing back so I'm not surprised to hear it happens to you even though you don't live where you grow up.

Anyway, have a look and let me know what you think. I'd be interested to hear if you think it's relevant.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts