Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got hired for my first job ever! it's a pretty social position in a gourmet restaurant, so I'm already a little overwhelmed. and I just got hired an hour ago ha. It may have been a mistake applying there, but I just handed in apps everywhere in town. I'm going to be their hostess and buss boy (buss girl, lol)

I keep telling myself that all I need to do in order to not be anxious around the customers is remind myself they want me to talk to them, they'll only judge me if I don't. If I talk to them they'll think I'm good at my job and like me. But.. I dunno, we'll see how it goes =) Plus, I'm hoping it will teach me socialization skills. I thought that during today's interview I was doing well, talking confidently and enough.. but then the guy interviewing asked "are you always quiet like this?" so guess I was wrong.

My question is, has anyone here ever worked in this position? Or as a waitress/waiter? How did you handle it? Any tips would be very much appreciated :)

·
Remarkable
1,043 Posts
Only in the kitchen. I have known quiet hostesses and bus people, though. I guess it really depends on the place, but it's usually a lot less social than being a server.

·
Registered
439 Posts
i've worked at a japanese restaurant before as an expediter. brought out food, refilled drinks.. basically everything a server does that requires work. i had to bring out hot bowls of udon and sukiyaki, those things were nerve wrecking! why would they put a big steaming bowl of noodle soup on a square shaped plate? it makes no sense! always had the fear of spilling that stuff on a customer... but i digress, and you don't have to worry about that. :D

I think the job of our hosts/hostesses did was to ask "how many in your party?" and "table or sushi bar?". oh yeah, and they answered the phone and took to-go orders. i would imagine taking phone calls and greeting guests making you uncomfortable at first, but like almost everything, you'll get used to it and become a pro!

I keep telling myself that all I need to do in order to not be anxious around the customers is remind myself they want me to talk to them, they'll only judge me if I don't. If I talk to them they'll think I'm good at my job and like me.
you're absolutely right here. i almost have no problem giving good customer service at work, because i'm expected to talk to the customers. outside of work it's totally different, though; almost like the exact opposite.

any other concerns?

·
Registered
515 Posts
I worked as a waitress on & off part time between 2003 & 2008, and I liked it but didn't really like staying talking to the guest long. I just liked serving the food, the little small talk, and the fact you weren't always in front of people, you could just escape when you needed to.

I really need a job at the moment and my friends are forcing me to get jobs in shops, but I don't want to, as I know I'd be crap and being on a till all day. ARGH!

·
Registered
444 Posts
I worked in a Chinese Buffet as a hostess for six months. My first job as well. It really did wonders for me and I think it will help you too. :) Try to stick it out, it will be worth it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts