Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
My So-Called Self
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, most of you probably don't know me, but some of you may remember me. Tonight is my first time being here in a long time.

Well, I was just wondering, is anyone here diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) in conjunction with social anxiety, AvPD, etc? My psychiatrist and therapist believe I have an ASD and I have a diagnostic assessment set up with a psychologist who tests adults and children alike for August 19th.

My problems started pretty much at birth and my mom noticed I was very withdrawn as a toddler. I was always afraid of being around people because I didn't know what to say or how to act around them. The problems relating to people and being around people just got worse as I got older. Luckily, I'm doing much better now because of a miracle medication.

But I was just wondering if anyone else has an ASD, and if they think their problems are related. I know mine are.

·
Your Mom's Favourite User
160 Posts
I definitely have some aspie tendencies but I understand social cues better than most extraverts, so im conflicted.

·
Big Nerd
1,131 Posts
Yes, High functioning autism/aspergers. Was diagnosed with it as a young child.

It certainly does contribute to my social awkwardness and interactions.

·
A Lonely Fox
15 Posts
At 3 I was diagnosed with Aspergers. Later in life as I grew older my autistic behavior has watered down a bunch. Me and my mom fought to take me out of Special Ed. I still have autistic behaviors and social awkwardness but not as bad as I used to. For example, ever since I was a baby, I would take something long or floppy and wave it back and forth while rubbing it with one hand and staring at something blank. It's this weird urge I have. It relaxes me and helps me think. Another thing I still do is... well... let's just say that ever since I was 2, I've been turned on and masturbated to WEIRD sounds. That's right, just sounds. From a TV. I don't know why it turned me on when I was THAT little but it did, and I'm still turned on by it. Nothing sexual whatsoever. Those are just a few of the issues I have had and still have, but I'm getting a lot better to this day.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have been wondering for a while now whether or not I have aspergers instead of ADHD. I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was 7, which happened to be before aspergers was even in the DSM. At times I think it fits and at times I'm not sure. I finally got brave enough and asked my therapist about this, and she said that while I have a lot of the social difficulties, she has not noticed that I have trouble staying on topic with the whole picture. But that if it means a lot to me we can look into it more to find out. And she mentioned something about nonverbal learning disorder. So I don't know... I was worried my therapist might be mad at me for thinking that because she said her son is autistic and has a lot of trouble staying on topic. But she's never been mad at me before so I think it's just me being worried.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hello, most of you probably don't know me, but some of you may remember me. Tonight is my first time being here in a long time.

Well, I was just wondering, is anyone here diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) in conjunction with social anxiety, AvPD, etc? My psychiatrist and therapist believe I have an ASD and I have a diagnostic assessment set up with a psychologist who tests adults and children alike for August 19th.

My problems started pretty much at birth and my mom noticed I was very withdrawn as a toddler. I was always afraid of being around people because I didn't know what to say or how to act around them. The problems relating to people and being around people just got worse as I got older. Luckily, I'm doing much better now because of a miracle medication.

But I was just wondering if anyone else has an ASD, and if they think their problems are related. I know mine are.
If you don't mind me asking, what is the miracle medication that helps?

·
Banned
4,019 Posts
Yes and no. One psychiatrist said yes and one said no. Pretty much sums up the sophistication of psychiatry. Anyone following the Oscar Pistorius trial in South Africa may also note that the prosecution's psychiatrists says Pistorius is a malingerer (pretending) and his defence psychiatrist says he has generalized anxiety disorder... Same with the (coincidentally South African, too) soon-to-begin Shrien Dewani murder trial in which his defence psychiatrists says he has a list of mental disorders as long as my arm and the prosecution's psychiatrist says... well, you can guess what.

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
Asperger's was suggested to me more than once, including by my former therapist, but we never got to follow through on looking into it before my therapy was terminated. All I knew about Asperger's at the time was people with it love numbers and can't understand social cues--neither of which applies to me. My therapist didn't bother correcting me when I said that and I brushed off her suggestion. But now that I know more, I strongly suspect this could be a major part of my issue (and could also explain many other lifelong behaviors of mine that have either been diagnosed as something else, or have never been explained at all).

Ironically, the main reason my therapy was terminated was because my social anxiety wasn't getting any better using any of the standard SA treatments. Maybe because my social anxiety isn't the root of the problem but is a symptom of something else...? I'll never know, now.

Also ironically, they had me on Abilify for a brief time, but no meds ever helped me. My depression, my OCD, my ADD, my SA, my schizotypal PD, none ever responded to medication...interesting.

I could go on but seeing as I'm technically not diagnosed I feel I should not derail the thread any further. :eek:ops I do hope that the tests lead to some sort of treatment that can help you, I wish I could've been tested myself...it would've explained some things at least. :/

·
Registered
426 Posts
I am diagnosed with AvPD, but I have begun to suspect that I may have an Autsim Spectrum Disoder as well. Or maybe that's the real explanation for my problems? I don't know. I have had issues with social functioning my whole life. Only had a handful of friends, mostly cousins. Even as a child I was affraid of basically everyone that I didn't know. It's like I've never grown out of it.

There are quite a few things in the AvPD-diagnosis that I don't recognise in myself, and quite a few things in ASD that I do recognise. I've been waiting for two years now to have a neuropsychiatric evaluation, but nothing seems to happen...

·
Banned
642 Posts
Ehh... I was "diagnosed" with Asperger's Syndrome (AS), but I'm now suspecting that this may have been a misdiagnosis with Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) or Social Phobia. I also have concurrent depression + anxiety and am currently being evaluated for ADHD.

I'm a walking DSM-V. :bash

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have had an Aspie insist I am an Aspie. I have taken the test that's going around online and scored low 20s which, according to the results, means I am not an Aspie. The thing about the test though, and I realized it towards the end, the answers are completely subjective. I don't feel it's accurate to say if you are good/bad at something when it's all you've ever known and have never seen it as an obstacle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts