Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Anyone here a fan of Pro Wrestling

917 views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Winds 
I browse on this pro wrestling forum often, and what's funny is that we found these old message boards from 2000 and the 90s. It was full of fans moaning about how the then current product ("Attitude Era") was no good. The Rock "couldn't wrestle", "uses the same catchphrases over and over again" and "goes over too much". Which is hilariously identical to the complaints that Cena receives today. Also, alot of plotlines were criticized, like Austin getting run over. They wanted it to be more about wrestling I guess, and viewed the days of Hart, HBK, Hogan and Savage as golden. I might look for the thread again if anyone is interested.

I think it just goes to show that the business changes, and as it does, it sheds and acquires new fans to accommodate the new direction. I don't think modern WWE is inherently better or worse than when I was younger, but it certainly isn't for me. They can't please everyone. I got into wrestling at the height of the Yokozuna/Undertaker feud, and, even as a kid, I was fascinated by this fantasy world of villainous sumo wrestlers combating sorcerous wrestling morticians. I liked heavy gimmicks--they made it feel like I was watching a comic book play out before my eyes. Contemporary wrestling is definitely going for a deeper degree of realism.

I did happen to catch a few minutes of wrestling a few weeks ago, and really liked this one guy that wore a mask to protect his immaculate beauty, and handed out bags for the audience members to put over his heads. Can't remember his name, but it was great theater (well, for wrestling, at least). I was reminded of my old habit of always cheering for heels over faces, and quickly turning on them when they switched sides.
I can see what you mean. WWE isn't really pushing heavy gimmicks anymore. CM Punk is one of the hottest things in wrestling, but his gimmick now his some sort of Charles Manson-esque, above the fourth wall style of cult leader. Not really cartoon style stuff. A lot of kids probably don't understand his references to backstage politics i.e The Kliq.

You're thinking of Cody Rhodes by the way. You might know him as the son of Dusty Rhodes or the brother of Goldust (Or half brother). While I haven't been watching much of Smackdown in the past few months, I loved Cody's shift towards a psychotic type of villain. People complain about how there's nothing actually wrong with his face, but I think it's pretty cool how he's the only one who sees himself as wretched. He's in his own twisted world.

If you liked the Attitude Era, you might as well watch RAW now: 20 minute promos to open a show, big over arching storylines, confusing run ins in PPV main events, constant title changes. People overrate the Attitude Era to be honest.

Also, what do people think of Mark Henry as champion? I'm sort of indifferent to be honest, I'm tired of seeing Randy Orton and John Cena in the title picture all the time. Even if Henry will only get his run for a short time, we might as well try to enjoy it. Speaking of John Cena, he's held the WWE title three times this year. My thoughts? Kurt Angle held the WWE title three times in his entire WWE career. Eddie Guererro held the WWE title once in his career. John Cena - THREE TIMES IN ONE YEAR?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.