Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ADD in addition to my Social Anxiety. It's a damning combination, and I'm wondering if anyone else suffers from both and has any coping methods they might want to share with me.

I'd be interested in day-to-day coping, handling employment, therapy that actually works, medications that actually work, etc. I feel like I'm alone in the world. Surely I there must be others.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have SA. For the ADD, i take Straterra 80 mg.. I am able to stay on task longer than before. There are days that i go from project to project without finishing either one. Then start another one. And another one. :roll I have trouble keeping a job. i am unemployed right now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hooray! I'm not alone! (Not that I'm wishing this on anyone ... just nice not to be the only one).

Hey Madison, I completely agree about the anxiety making it worse. The worse my anxiety at the time, the stronger my ADD symptoms. Employment has been near impossible. I can really relate. My ADD was diagnosed when I was having trouble in college .

Bailey, Strattera sounds familiar. I've taken so many stinking drugs that I can't remember whether I've tried it. Do you think it works better than other ADD meds, and do you get any ugly side effects from it? Most of the things I've tried have very marginal positive effects, and too many side effects to make them worth taking, but I'm getting so desperate I'm wondering if I should try chemical intervention again (has never worked for SA or ADD for me before ... but one can always hope).

Thanks for posting guys! Nice to meet you!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Yep i have undiagnosed ADD and SA and it certainetly makes for an unpleasent combo. The SA makes you shy and socially inexperienced and the ADD makes you appear scatty, lazy and bored.

I'd recommend getting the ADD under control before you focus on the SA.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I always thought SA was a result of ADD. I guess I'm still trying to figure myself out. I've never been diagnosed with ADD (I avoid Doctors) but I definitely have some of the symptoms. Imagine how a frequently distracted person is socially. I can't even focus on a conversation. My mind drifts then I'm clueless on what was just said by the other person. sigh. What were we talking about?

·
Registered
10,936 Posts
I always thought SA was a result of ADD. I guess I'm still trying to figure myself out. I've never been diagnosed with ADD (I avoid Doctors) but I definitely have some of the symptoms. Imagine how a frequently distracted person is socially. I can't even focus on a conversation. My mind drifts then I'm clueless on what was just said by the other person. sigh. What were we talking about?
I'm very much the same way. The more I learn about ADD, the more likely it seems to me that that's the cause of a lot of my social problems. I definitely have a problem staying focused on conversations; my mind drifts so easily. And in general I just don't often have the mental energy to sustain socializing for very long. Sometimes I feel anxiety too, of course, but even when I don't, there's still that shortage of mental energy.

For what it's worth, I haven't been officially diagnosed with ADD, either (nor with SAD, for that matter). But I'm 99.9% sure that I have the inattentive subtype of ADD. It would explain so much about me. I actually have seen a psychiatrist about it before, and he let my try Strattera even without a formal diagnosis. But that didn't end up helping, and it was getting awfully expensive (since I had no insurance), so I had to stop. Hopefully once I can afford to see a psychiatrist again, I can get a diagnosis and try some other meds.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Maybe although i usually associate my SA to bullying rather then ADD, it's difficult to say just how much of one thing contributes to another in any area of psychology, it depends on the person.

·
Banned
642 Posts
I'm very much the same way. The more I learn about ADD, the more likely it seems to me that that's the cause of a lot of my social problems. I definitely have a problem staying focused on conversations; my mind drifts so easily. And in general I just don't often have the mental energy to sustain socializing for very long. Sometimes I feel anxiety too, of course, but even when I don't, there's still that shortage of mental energy.

For what it's worth, I haven't been officially diagnosed with ADD, either (nor with SAD, for that matter). But I'm 99.9% sure that I have the inattentive subtype of ADD. It would explain so much about me. I actually have seen a psychiatrist about it before, and he let my try Strattera even without a formal diagnosis. But that didn't end up helping, and it was getting awfully expensive (since I had no insurance), so I had to stop. Hopefully once I can afford to see a psychiatrist again, I can get a diagnosis and try some other meds.
I felt like I wrote your words.... The more learn about ADHD the more I believe it triggers alot of SA for me as well.

Have you read wikipedia's definition of Sluggish Conititive Tempo? They are considering it an unofficial subtype of ADHD-I

Also how did your aproach a Pdoc about this to get Strattera

·
Banned
642 Posts
Maybe I should talk to my psychiatrist about this...
Ask your pdoc if he knows of any online resources related to ADD (Inattentive sub type). And pass it on to us. I really believe this disorder (ADD) overlaps alot of SA people. Not all SA people, but it could be the ADD symptoms causing the SA in the first place. I believe this to be my problem.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Ask your pdoc if he knows of any online resources related to ADD (Inattentive sub type). And pass it on to us. I really believe this disorder (ADD) overlaps alot of SA people. Not all SA people, but it could be the ADD symptoms causing the SA in the first place. I believe this to be my problem.
Thanks Jrock,

I found this and it just explains who I am.

The criteria for this predominantly inattentive variation mirrors many of the same problem areas associated with the hyperactive subtype, including difficulties with tracking details, sustaining attention, and organizing tasks. However, inattentiveness is most often defined in terms of how it differs from hyperactivity. Usually, inattentive students do not fidget, talk excessively, or have problems staying seated. Unlike hyperactives, they are overwhelmed rather than energized by stimulating situations, and they don't have problems finishing tasks so much as getting started on them. They don't react impulsively; in fact, they may not appear to react at all. As disorders come and go, inattentiveness definitely qualifies as understated.

http://www.adda-sr.org/reading/Articles/mooreinattentive.htm

I will definitely talk to my therapist about this on Monday.

Thanks again

·
Banned
642 Posts
Thanks Jrock,

I found this and it just explains who I am.

The criteria for this predominantly inattentive variation mirrors many of the same problem areas associated with the hyperactive subtype, including difficulties with tracking details, sustaining attention, and organizing tasks. However, inattentiveness is most often defined in terms of how it differs from hyperactivity. Usually, inattentive students do not fidget, talk excessively, or have problems staying seated. Unlike hyperactives, they are overwhelmed rather than energized by stimulating situations, and they don't have problems finishing tasks so much as getting started on them. They don't react impulsively; in fact, they may not appear to react at all. As disorders come and go, inattentiveness definitely qualifies as understated.

http://www.adda-sr.org/reading/Articles/mooreinattentive.htm

I will definitely talk to my therapist about this on Monday.

Thanks again
Your Welcome, is this the first you've seen this sub type?

Also check out http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=322

Enjoy

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
About your question in the other forum.

The root cause of my SA is definitely ADD.

My anxiety is due to poor verbal skills and slow reaction time mainly. I can not start a conversation and usually not interested in most of the topics.

I was trying to explain this to my therapist but she could not know and I did not know what is wrong with me actually.

·
Banned
642 Posts
So is this the first time you've considered this?

I have social skills but socializing always feels forced. I naturally want to fall into a state of day dreaming unless the other person actively has my attention. Since I am aware of this I force myself to be involved with people, which eventually tires me out mentally.........

The more I learn of ADD when it involves socializing, making friends, and developing interpersonal relationships with people; The more I have alot of "AHH HAA" moments.

It almost feels like a weight is being lifted

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.