Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some anxiety about wearing tank tops (although it's getting better t(h)anks to @shyguy07 07) and also wearing black tshirts (my shoes and pants are all black but don't bother me for some reason) as I think it makes me look immature (I wore all black as a teen a lot so I think I associate it with that) and maybe antisocial or hard to approach?

I don't know if that last thing is really true though, the only time someone (a pretty girl even in this case) started a conversation with me on the street in the last months I was wearing a black tshirt, the other time I wasn't wearing a tshirt because I was working out outside and some random dude started a convo so I guess that doesn't count.

I have very dark hair (dark brown facial hair and thick black eyebrows) and I find black tshirts really complement it, if I wear anything else (I guess dark grey is fine as well) it's like it makes the facial hair pop too much I think.

So I like how black tshirts looks on me, but for some reason I have anxiety about wearing them, I tend to think I'll attract bad luck or something bad will happen to me, which I know sounds ridiculous, but I can't shake the feeling no matter how much I try to rationalize it.

Do you have any similar issues with clothing and did you find a way to get over it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Black shirts won’t bring bad luck to you. I mostly wear black, and I have been safe. :) It shouldn’t be any different to your pants or shoes.
good point, i wonder where i got this anxiety from though, i never thought twice about the color of anything else I wear, in fact I always default to black for pants, shoes, socks, underwear, etc.

maybe it's because I used to be a metalhead and I no longer want to be associated with that, so I started to wear anything but black t-shirts, which has created a fear of black tshirts or something?

·
Karmically Cryptic
Wonder
1,663 Posts
I used to think black was a color I'd never wear, at the time it was because I thought it was a "negative" color...if that makes sense. Now I almost always wear black shirts. I wore one on a date recently and that went well for me.

I think you may be overthinking things.

I say throw on a black shirt and see how your day goes.

·
Administrator
9,142 Posts
You could get used to wearing them again while you’re home and not going anywhere. If you start getting worried about it, you could easily change to a different coloured shirt.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You could get used to wearing them again while you’re home and not going anywhere. If you start getting worried about it, you could easily change to a different coloured shirt.
I just tried but it makes me feel all broody and serious even just sitting at home, I think i'll just stick with different colors for now, I like lighter stuff like blue, white and grey.

Trying to force myself to wear something I don't feel comfortable in seems like an exercise in futility, i'll just keep worrying about it and drive myself crazy.

Thanks for the advice though everyone.

·
Super Moderator
34,611 Posts
Weird. I never thought twice about wearing a black shirt. I'd never wear a tank top anywhere though because it's just not my thing. I have no thoughts or prejudices about people who do. I just think I'd look weird in one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Weird. I never thought twice about wearing a black shirt. I'd never wear a tank top anywhere though because it's just not my thing. I have no thoughts or prejudices about people who do. I just think I'd look weird in one.
Maybe it would be different if the rest of my clothes had some color, I just don't feel good wearing it for whatever reason, but it's not that big of a deal, I'll just give the black t-shirt to charity and continue wearing colors.

·
(.*?)
6,742 Posts
Anything with words or logos on it has always caused me anxiety, because I fear people will look at me or maybe even comment. For 30+ years I just didn't wear such things, but I've managed to introduce a couple such t-shirts occasionally lately with only occasional mild discomfort.

Black would never bother me, but bright attention-getting colors would. All my clothes are blue, green, gray or black because that won't stand out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I've figured out why it makes me so uncomfortable:

Due to my dark long hair, an all-black outfit makes me look goth/emo/metal/edgy/tryhard/biker etc and I don't want to come across as such, so even the idea of wearing all black, or even wearing all-black inside the house makes me anxious instantly.

So no all-black for me, I'll give the black t-shirt to charity.

At least I'm glad I figured out why it makes me feel so uncomfortable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anything with words or logos on it has always caused me anxiety, because I fear people will look at me or maybe even comment. For 30+ years I just didn't wear such things, but I've managed to introduce a couple such t-shirts occasionally lately with only occasional mild discomfort.

Black would never bother me, but bright attention-getting colors would. All my clothes are blue, green, gray or black because that won't stand out.
I don't like tshirts with text on them either, but logos or just the brand-name don't really bother me, graphics or brighter colors don't bother me either as long as it's not too flashy.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I used to have a few V-necks but I donated them all because I just didn't like how I looked in them. Some people look good, but they just looked weird and un natural on me for some reason.

When I was younger in school I used to have anxiety about wearing T-shirts at school. My mom used to always have me wear collared shirts at school, so wearing T-shirts just felt weird. Also she used to want me to tuck my shirt in but I didn't like it because it felt nerdy and kids made fun of me. So when I got to high school I stopped tucking it in and started wearing T-shirts more and it did cause me anxiety because I wasn't used to it. But I wanted to be less uptight and fit in better so I just did it, and it actually helped with my anxiety because I felt more like the other guys.

I do tend to put in too much thought to what I wear. Even just pick out out socks is worrisome sometimes. Even though most all of them are the same, I feel like if I pick the wrong pair, I might have something bad happen, so I'll put them back and pick another. Also I try not to wear similar shirts right after each other because I think somebody might think I wore the same shirt twice. Silly I know.

·
long hard times to come
374 Posts
I'm iffy about any top that is tight fitting and clearly shows the shape of my chest. Shorts are uncomfortable to me too, I feel naked wearing them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I used to have a few V-necks but I donated them all because I just didn't like how I looked in them. Some people look good, but they just looked weird and un natural on me for some reason.

When I was younger in school I used to have anxiety about wearing T-shirts at school. My mom used to always have me wear collared shirts at school, so wearing T-shirts just felt weird. Also she used to want me to tuck my shirt in but I didn't like it because it felt nerdy and kids made fun of me. So when I got to high school I stopped tucking it in and started wearing T-shirts more and it did cause me anxiety because I wasn't used to it. But I wanted to be less uptight and fit in better so I just did it, and it actually helped with my anxiety because I felt more like the other guys.

I do tend to put in too much thought to what I wear. Even just pick out out socks is worrisome sometimes. Even though most all of them are the same, I feel like if I pick the wrong pair, I might have something bad happen, so I'll put them back and pick another. Also I try not to wear similar shirts right after each other because I think somebody might think I wore the same shirt twice. Silly I know.
I like V-necks but only when they aren't too deep. (those at H&M are nice and modest) I think it's one of those things that probably works better if you're in shape. (not saying you aren't!)

I get the school thing, there was a period where I always wore a jacket everywhere so when I had to wear only a tshirt outside (too hot in summer etc) I felt kinda naked, I got used to it pretty fast though.

I started tucking my T-shirts recently because it just feels more comfortable to me, less material moving, swinging around etc, and I think it's flattering because it accentuates the "reverse triangle" physique and makes me look taller by moving the waistline higher, I agree though that it's not the right move if you really want to "fit in" in a school.

I also tend to overthink what I'm wearing which is why I always wear the same thing, all my socks, underpants, shorts/pants, tshirts etc are the same, it makes everything very easy and you never have to "get used" to your clothes.

About the "something bad will happen" thing, I have it too but after thinking a lot about it I realized it's just anxiety related to wearing something I'm not used to, which might manifest in a feeling of impending doom, it's easier to get over it once you realize the cause of the anxiety is just you stressing out over clothing you're not used to and not the universe conspiring against you for wearing a black t-shirt, tank top or pink socks, though there might be valid reasons for not wearing those things anyway, (looking like a goth, a "gym bro", etc) that doesn't mean that anything bad is going to happen if you do, aside from being a bit uncomfortable or self-conscious maybe.

I doubt anyone will even notice you are wearing the same things everyday as long as you make sure they are clean and fresh and also subtle: for example if you wear a pink T-shirt everyday people are going to notice, but if you wear a grey one I doubt anyone will.

I'm iffy about any top that is tight fitting and clearly shows the shape of my chest. Shorts are uncomfortable to me too, I feel naked wearing them.
I don't like tight tops either, I think it makes me look douchy/tryhard.

I love shorts though, I wear them anytime I can, but I have very muscular calves so that probably helps, if I had "chicken legs" I might not feel comfortable in them.

·
😒🤡
6,857 Posts
Shorts. 🙄 Which sucks cause if it's hot and I need to go to the store, I'd rather wear them and I used to wear them like 4 years ago then stopped. Lol Unless it's nighttime, then I wear night shorts.

When it was hot during the Summer, I would wear shorts and tank tops. Now, it's pretty much baggy shirts and denim pants/jeggings. Lol

I don't feel uncomfortable wearing bright colored shirts. I sometimes wear plain, bright colored baggy shirts. 😆

1 - 20 of 26 Posts