Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
viscera eyes
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when passing people on the streets or side walks and seeing them from a distance i start to think "wow! how can i make myself not look nervous before i approach this person". so my lame techniques are to either look down at the ground or pretend to text on my cell. but does anyone here try avoiding eye contact but still at the same time you want to look up and see if that person is noticing your nervousness and when you do mAke that contact it kinda turns into a awkward long stare with that person.. and they give you that look like "what the hell you looking at"? hard to explain but does anyone have some hints on trying to cope with passing people and not thinking they are lookin at me??

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Usually in the awkward staring moments in my life, it's the other person that is staring at me, but then I awkwardly acknowledge the staring, and the whole situation ends up feeling like it lasted forever, and like the other person knows everything that I'm then thinking. When people stare at me or even look at me, for some reason I can't help but acknowledge it and look at them back, and it ends up being strange.

·
Registered
22 Posts
when passing people on the streets or side walks and seeing them from a distance i start to think "wow! how can i make myself not look nervous before i approach this person". so my lame techniques are to either look down at the ground or pretend to text on my cell. but does anyone here try avoiding eye contact but still at the same time you want to look up and see if that person is noticing your nervousness and when you do mAke that contact it kinda turns into a awkward long stare with that person.. and they give you that look like "what the hell you looking at"? hard to explain but does anyone have some hints on trying to cope with passing people and not thinking they are lookin at me??
Im new on here and just read your post... everything you have just written fits what i go through perfectly too. You see someone coming towards you and strangely feel all nervous and self conscious (for me its hoping that my face isnt looking nervous or flinchy) and look down or fumble about with your pockets or mobile until they walk past.
All this time Ive thought it was only me that felt like this, thats why i always feel weird as a person, that the way i see the world is different to the rest of the people.

My advice now... is that we kinda know now that the reason for our negative thinking / behaviour is as silly as it sounds 'normal' with SAD sufferers so take this as reassurance that you aren't alone in feeling this way. I deal with this by seeing myself as a lucky person who is only on this planet once and that I am experiencing life as each minute passes. Somehow weirdly that helps :)

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I can definetly relate to this. Whenever I see someone coming I don't know what to do or where to look. I usually just look done or pretend to text aswell. Or I look at them and look away. I find it awkward at times to pass people and I wonder what they're thinking.

I think the only advice I can give is to maybe look up and try to smile or say "Hi." If you can't just know that they're most likely not worried about you. They're just another person walking down the street or hall and they may not know how to act either. I think it's weird for most people because you don't know if you should acknowlege the other person or not.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I have trouble with this too. I find if I'm busy thinking about something else I don't pay attention to where I look there's no problem; but when I am self conscious and get fixated on what I'm looking at I turn into a nervous wreck.

So the solution is to keep your mind on other things and not think of where you're looking at all. It's hard to do though because our brains are so predisposed to anxiety...

·
hi
11 Posts
I have this problem too. Whenever I have random eye contact with strangers, some will smile at me, which makes me feel more comfortable and less anxious. So try and be the one to smile at them if inevitable eye contact occurs! It may be hard to start this habit, since you might think of it as creepy. But just do it! And see what happens. It lessens the tension you may be feeling, at least I think. :)

·
Super Modderator
183 Posts
Just look down at the ground, seriously, if you notice someone walking towards you on the sidewalk just look down.

Or you could put on a big fake smile and wave your hand, maybe ask them if they want a hug.

·
ZuzuINK
159 Posts
HAHA! I do that too, I'll txt, look at the ground, or play with my earring to tilt my head the other way. lol

now that I know this is a world wide technique I'll have to make up new ways to avoid eye contact.
OR I can just full on stare at the person, and when they say something like "what the hell you staring at?!" I'll say something corny like "AIN'T YOU THAT FAMOUS GUY?!?!"

·
Registered
102 Posts
I hate when i see girls or a girl and she looks hot or extremely hot from a distance. I get the whole jello legs and all of that BUT what i do is just boost up my confidence by saying i am so sexy and cute picture my self in a good way then ill walk pass them or i might look at them to see if they like me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts