Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone here who is on diazepam or other benzos has found them to remain effective long term without having to increase the dose over time.

Recently started 3mg diazepam 2x per day and it is improving my life so much it is amazing.

Im hoping to be able to stay on this low dose for a while but if I’m going to have to keep increasing it I’d rather come off while it’s still easier to do so.

I know everyone is going to have different results and I should talk to my doctor but just hoping to hear what long term benzo users experience here is on remaining on consistent dose over time.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I'm on Xanax and have been on diazepam in the past. But I dont take them on a daily basis just as needed. Before a stressful situation or if I am having trouble sleeping.

Good to hear diazepam is helping you. It helped me as well. Taking it daily is where it can get addicitve and where you may have to up the dose because you will build up a tolerance. So I would be careful about that. Is your anxiety it certain situations where you can just take it as needed before a stressful event and not daily? That is your better option in my opinion.

Also be very careful drinking alcohol on the same day you take Benzo's. Not a good combination and can lead to doing some very crazy stuff or even death! Be careful driving as well. I got into a minor car accident after taking diazepam. Made me to drowsy and I fell asleep.

So benzo's help a great deal with anxiety but you need to be careful on them

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm on Xanax and have been on diazepam in the past. But I dont take them on a daily basis just as needed. Before a stressful situation or if I am having trouble sleeping.

Good to hear diazepam is helping you. It helped me as well. Taking it daily is where it can get addicitve and where you may have to up the dose because you will build up a tolerance. So I would be careful about that. Is your anxiety it certain situations where you can just take it as needed before a stressful event and not daily? That is your better option in my opinion.

Also be very careful drinking alcohol on the same day you take Benzo's. Not a good combination and can lead to doing some very crazy stuff or even death! Be careful driving as well. I got into a minor car accident after taking diazepam. Made me to drowsy and I fell asleep.

So benzo's help a great deal with anxiety but you need to be careful on them
Those are some good suggestions. Thank you for taking the time to respond. Maybe I should go back to just taking it when anxiety is super high.

I actually drive for a living - food delivery so maybe it is not the best thing to be on all the time but I always drink coffee or tea and my dose is very low.

Since I started taking it daily I’ve been able to make twice as much money with half the anxiety. Before after 2 hours I was almost non-functional. Now I work 4 hours straight and feel like I can keep going. It’s crazy how much energy social anxiety leaches from me.

The anxiety is still there but I can look people in the eye and smile and feel a connection instead of just seeing them as a social threat to get away from. I feel like people are responding better to me because of this. I can stand in a crowded restaurant waiting for the food to be ready and not be panicking. I used to always wait in my car often till I was late.

I forgot that life can be like this and it really makes me sad and angry to think that it will not last. It’s far from perfect but it is so much better.

I know I need to get back into meditation and maybe there is another less addictive meditation that can help more than my Lexapro but also I am hoping that maybe it can be possible to stay on a low dose of diazepam and if it stops working to just taper off.

Certainly I would not increase the dose because if 6 mg/day is no longer enough then eventually neither would 12mg/day and that’s not a road I want to go down.

I’ll at least take a break from it soon just to gauge where my anxiety is it without it.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I actually drive for a living - food delivery so maybe it is not the best thing to be on all the time but I always drink coffee or tea and my dose is very low.
Be very careful driving on Benzos like I said. You can actually get a Dui on them. Most people dont know that. Even with a valid Doctor prescription. DUI Defenses for Driving on Benzodiazepines : Matt Bodman, P.A. (mattbodmanlaw.com). So if you get pulled over dont mention you are taking Benzo's or any medication that can cause driving impairment. It wont show up in a breathlyzer but if they do a blood test it will. Diazepam stays in your system a very long time as well. That is why I take Xanax instead it is out of your system much quicker.

Glad diazepam is making you more funcational where you can make more money and relaxes you. It does for me as well. I had problems in school having panic attacks if I had to speak in front of class. I wish they would have prescribed me a benzo I could have made it through it. Benzo's work well at reducing anxiety but like I said be very careful using them

·
Registered
319 Posts
When i used to take xanax every day i had to increase the dose in order to get the same effect.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I have been on clonazepam in the past. I used to take 2-3 mg each night. I was on that amount for probably 4 or 5 years in my late teens and early 20's. It never lost effectiveness. There was no need to raise the dose or anything. I found that it retained it's anti-panic effects.

·
Failure's Art
2,487 Posts
I think you build a tolerance to Benzos pretty quickly. I have Xanax for panic attacks and I can tell if I take it like 2-3 days in a row I feel it way less on the 2nd and 3rd day. The effect is reduced appreciably. My own experience though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
@Xaxter -- I also wonder how you are currently doing on your medication.

Benzos unfortunately are best used as needed, short-term. But some people do get prescriptions for daily use, sometimes 2 or 3 times daily, and function best that way. It just really depends.

Be careful driving as well. I got into a minor car accident after taking diazepam. Made me to drowsy and I fell asleep.
I got into a minor accident on the freeway a few years ago due to taking a second dose of klonopin too soon. I was really nervous about a job thing. and boom, I hit the car next to me trying to merge. Although I swear I checked, and the driver was just being a jerk and sped up. I don't know. I handled that whole mess very well though!

So if you get pulled over dont mention you are taking Benzo's or any medication that can cause driving impairment. It wont show up in a breathlyzer but if they do a blood test it will. Diazepam stays in your system a very long time as well.
Thank you for sharing that tip! I don't know if I would realize not to share that information if I got in a situation like that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts