Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a required pre-req for those who are nursing majors. I thought I'd get it over with. Well, turned out to be a bust. As if it wasn't nerve-wrecking enough, the teacher came off as very judgmental. At one point she showed us videos demonstrating good and bad speeches, during which she made fun of a girl who was suffering from stage fright. I stopped going shortly after my first speech. :|

·
Registered
249 Posts
i had to take it for my program.... it was nerve wracking and i was sure that i bombed every speech... i certainly felt ill before, during, and after every one. i passed though. and working on a group project, a few of my classmates said that i actually wasn't bad at giving speeches.. they said that i didn't look nearly as nervous as i felt. so that kind of boosted my confidence. i'm just ****in glad that its over though. lol.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I keep putting it off, knowing full well that I'm going to have to take it eventually. I hate my voice and the thought of having to project it in a room full of people makes me nauseous. Not to mention that I hate being the center of attention and having all eyes on me.

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
I think pretty much every bachelors at my school requires it. Maybe try to have complete focus on your speech, without paying attention to anything else besides the words you speak. I honestly don't remember anything of the audience when I took it, I was too focused on the delivery, not looking at the ground, and doing the moving that we had to do. They usually flew by so fast that I didn't even know what happened during the whole thing. Honestly waiting to give the speech was far worse than actually speaking.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I took Speech over the Summer and made an A. I thought it was easy. I don't really have anxiety about public speaking and I've given some great speeches in my life. I have anxiety about direct conversation with other people because I mumble and talk to loud a lot.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I decided to get it over with my first semester. Later found out there are many loopholes...like the years of German I took later on.

Speech, I did so many presentations in high school, I knew it would be torture. And I'm pretty decent at just shoving myself through the scary, scary stuff. When it's required.

Luckily a few weeks before my first semester I got a prescription for propanolol, 40 mg. The speeches were awful, but the beta blockers at least relieved me of the dread and dying feeling waiting at my desk.

I gave some good speeches when I wrote them and memorized them in a way that sounded natural, like it was all based off of referring to notes. I prefer speeches/presentations to small groups because there's no thinking on the spot. And speeches can be practiced, practiced, practiced.

Unfortunately, only the first half of my speeches went well, one was even funny/clever and made people laugh. By the second half of the semester I had a first ever boyfriend and was writing speeches in those hours before classes.

So...the trick is, beta blockers. And write/memorize speech in a way that sounds natural, like you are referring to note cards.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.