Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went once and it was kind of cool. Naked in the hot springs and cold plunge and nobody judged anyone. Everyone was naked and yet my anxiety seemed to go away for awhile. Too bad I leve on the east coast and most place like that are in the west

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
No way man. :lol I wish I could put five more locks on my bathroom door so there's zero chance of someone walking in and seeing me naked even accidentally. No way I'm going naked in front of a bunch of strangers. My mind has an individual scar on it from every single time someone has seen me naked. I don't need more.

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
I never have, but it does sound nice.

Two old academics at a nudist retreat. One turns to the other and says "Have you read Marx?"
"Yes," replies the other, "it must be these deck chairs."

·
The way out is through.
171 Posts
I would totally go for that, and I wish this weren't an issue, but I would be really afraid of getting.. er... visibly aroused, with no way to hide it. I think that would be extremely embarrassing. Ya know, it's not something us guys have control over 100% of the time. Yeah.. but if somehow that issue were a non-issue, I'd imagine it would be pretty liberating to be naked in public.

·
dazed and confused
960 Posts
I've been to a nude beach before, but not a nudist retreat. Isn't that where you do everything, including having dinner, and playing mini-golf, naked? That would be a little much for me LOL.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well in the dinner hall I think you had to have clothes. And it was a retreat type of place. A place for meditation. I went in February so people were only naked around the pools. At first I was kind of weirded out by it all but got better once I realized nobody cared at all about looking at me. There were all types of people there. Old young, skinny and overweight. It wasn't about people looking at you because everyone just accepted you. I never got visible aroused. I would think that if you had anxiety that would be a problem getting aroused in a place like that.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
There is a gay campground that I like to go to. Its clothing optional and most people don't wear anything at the pool. I prefer to remain covered down in the camping area though.

·
Neither Enemy Nor Friend
412 Posts
I did once about 3 weeks ago. Scared the hell outta me. it was a nude beach but you could still be clothed if u wanted. I did. I did feel a lil better seeing others feel confident though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
No LOL. I was just talking about this with my sister. I wish I had your courage. One of my friends told me that after she just skinny dipped with friends, she felt much more comfortable and confident. Her anxiety seemed to disappear as well. Kudos for your courage!!!!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I would totally go for that, and I wish this weren't an issue, but I would be really afraid of getting.. er... visibly aroused, with no way to hide it.
Normally the fear keeps things under control and you'd probably have trouble trying to make something happen.

I've never been to a nudist retreat but when streaking was big in the 1970's... well, sometimes you just have to give these things a try! :lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
To be honest I'm more comfortable naked (alone), but I think I would feel way way way too judged the second I dropped my shorts. I feel judged enough with clothes on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I like the idea of being "free", but I do not want to be ogled by dirty men (or dirty lesbians). I think for men, being on a nudist beach can be liberating, but for women, you're still being judged, and even more, being sexually objectified.
So not only would I feel nervous on a nudist beach, but I would also feel angry at being used, by complete strangers, as a tool to get aroused. That's why I don't like even going on a beach at all, with swimming gear on, or wearing a short skirt. Some men take it as an invitation to think about you in a very sexual context. I feel helpless and angry, and people don't sympathise with you, they just think, "That's the way men are", and then you're the one forced to cover up.

I don't have any friends, but I hope that one day I could make some great friends who wouldn't treat me that way, and we could just have a good time on a quiet beach, clothing optional.

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,174 Posts
It's interesting to note that I've often wished being nude was a non-issue, for example spending the day at home completely nude with windows open, if this weren't such a big deal to passersby or neighbours I would do it regularly enough. Sometimes it's nice after a shower to just stroll through the house naked(I'll do so every once in a while with the curtains closed).

I think with sexual arousal issues aside communing with a group of people at a nude retreat would be very liberating indeed. Perhaps something for me to try in the future. I wouldn't do the whole nude beach thing as that seems to me like it would have more sexual overtones. People go to beaches to swim & get some sun but also to find potential mates, I think that would be rather distracting. But meditating in a shaded forest or a sunny field in the nude with others, that sounds very spiritual to me.

As for streaking, I did once on a good drunken night, was fun but definitely not something to do more than once

·
Registered
784 Posts
I guess it's not something I've ever thought about...I've always been perfectly happy to wear clothes. I don't know where I would even go for something like that, and if I did, I assume everyone would think I was just there to see naked women (which wouldn't be far from the truth).

1 - 20 of 41 Posts