Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
wtf
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to shove a ton of facts into my brain within the next month and am not very motivated. It's for a standardized exam that includes biology, physics, and chemistry. Can someone make me feel like learning is fun?

Note: Please do NOT give me a speech about how I should find something that interests me. That is a whole different issue that I don't have time to deal with at the moment. I need some practical advice that will get me through the next month. Also, please don't suggest I have ADD because I don't.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I don't know what to say but to study a little every day. With me, the more I put it off, the more I have to study (per day), and the more I dread it... if that makes sense, lol.

·
crazy
2,067 Posts
For those subjects, think of how cool it would be to analyze things like the little machines that are in your cells. Like the ribosomes are these little factories with all these moving parts, and there are railways with trains that haul cargo to and from the nucleus, and little spinning mushrooms in the cell membranes that manufacture ATP.

I dunno, stuff like that would probably inspire me to want to learn those subjects. Back when I was high school though it was more space exploration I was into, which gave me a lot of motivation to study physics, cause I wanted to work at JPL.

I know, super-geeky answer, but what can I say, I love this stuff. :)

·
Too School for Cool
6,857 Posts
I think about how crazy it is that we actually have this much knowledge floating around. Even if something isn't my favorite subject, I'm always just impressed by the overall process of learning and how much insane amounts of knowledge there is out there.

For physics, I try and stay motivated by seeing how it fits into my everyday life. Look! A curve in the road! Physics! A rock falling! Physics!

For chemistry, I think it's crazy how tiny things can go. Atoms and neutrons and junk. And organic chemistry always gets me with how...easily and awesome things naturally work/mix/join together.

And bio is just cool. Cells and junk. I think it's important to know.

Good luck! While not everyone is a fan of science (myself included at times) I just try and stay focused by seeing the big picture, how all of this is applicable in my everyday life and how impressive it is that we can discover all these things.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Learning is FUN!

Don't make studying difficult. Study in short breaks. If you sit down for long hours than it is lame. I've studied for tests also and I have to make studying fun or else I hate it.

Use flash cards. Draw out the notes instead of writing them down. Use pictures so you can visualize them in your head when you take the test. Use crayons and pens or markers. Even if you can't draw it doesn't matter. Make graphs and diagrams. If you have to memorize formulas or names or places, memorize phrases that use those words.

Whenever I read and read I just get distracted and forget what I read and lose concentration. Make sure you go to the library or someplace where nobody will bother you. Some people with SA work better in secluded places anyway.

Also motivate yourself by knowing that if you pass you never have to take that stupid test again. Then you you'll earn the big bucks!

Just make it fun. Because learning is fun. And fun is learning. Fun and learning is. Is and Fun learning!

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
I find learning fun. I just don't like learning in a school setting. I would rather learn about what interests me and at my own pace.

As far as your problem, I probably wouldn't be of much help. I had a lot of trouble during my last semester. Maybe you could research topics that interest you and are related to those subjects. I'm just making a guess that maybe you're interested in fantasy type fiction. For biology you could maybe research trangenics and the real life chimeras(like the geep) in research genetics. Topics like chimeras and transgenics would definitely relate to many areas of biology.

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
What works for me is making charts of stuff I have to remember, and putting them on my walls. They need to be left up for at least a few weeks. Painless (ok, maybe not the best interior design ever) and very effective.

·
Not wearing pants
387 Posts
Have you heard of Metabolic Melodies? They're parodies (mostly from the Beatles and Christmas music) about biochemistry. Easy to remember, and they've helped me out on tests a few times! Feel free to PM me if you want some.

As for physics, all I can really say is to make sure you understand the meaning behind every single thing you do. This book is awesome.

·
wtf
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice Veron, LostPancake, Perfectionist, whitesnake87, slylikeafox, Madison_Rose, and ilikebooks

·
Registered
378 Posts
I need to shove a ton of facts into my brain within the next month and am not very motivated. It's for a standardized exam that includes biology, physics, and chemistry. Can someone make me feel like learning is fun?

Note: Please do NOT give me a speech about how I should find something that interests me. That is a whole different issue that I don't have time to deal with at the moment. I need some practical advice that will get me through the next month. Also, please don't suggest I have ADD because I don't.
Whenever I would help my sister study for her bio and chemistry exams I would come up with hilarious associations with the words and definitions and stuff that would make her remember everything we went over. And the funnier it was, the more she remembered the association. Find a creative study buddy, preferably someone who's actually not in the program and have them come up with fun associations. (I really don't know how easy that would be to come by though)

·
Registered
623 Posts
Use flash cards.
Okay, if you're going the flashcard route if you need to shove a bunch of definitions in your head, you need to use something like Anki (Spaced repetition flash card system):

http://ichi2.net/anki/

Anki is one of the free versions of what you call Supermemo. Optimized "Spaced repetition" This is the original site; http://www.supermemo.com/

If you need to memorize a diagram or something, you could take a photo of whatever diagram you need and load it up into your computer so you can use it for anki. The flash card could say something like "Reproduce the [diagram name] diagram".

·
Registered
416 Posts
I actually love learning, but the fun is taken away when you feel you "have to" know this stuff. That's the case with my job, which I'll be starting full-time next year. In fact, I could get slapped with a lawsuit if I don't apply my skills correctly. Quite literally, they seem to tell us in school, "remember this, or else." I've had at least two different instructors tell the class they'd testify against us in court if we screwed up. How fun...

I know a guy who uses a ton of hilighters, color schemes, and weird word associations including mnemonics, but doesn't do very well overall. Be careful not to over-think things, and focus on learning the important stuff first. If you can't learn everything, forget the extraneous/peripheral stuff.

Oh, I almost forgot. What works for me, after 8 years of experimenting in college, is to summarize my notes by cramming as much as I can into a word document. The result is sort of an outline, with little blank space. I'll use abbreviations and symbols wherever possible to save space. When I'm done, I'll print it and pour over it, identifying things I don't remember and highlighting them. Sometimes I'll use a different color for each section. The colors and limited number of pages help me visualize the notes during an exam. If I can associate a fact with a certain color or spot on the page, it helps connect my thoughts. I'll usually spend a day or so reviewing the outline multiple times before the exam. The message, really, is to eliminate any extraneous information that may try to fill up your brain.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts