Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m a 30-year-old female and flight attendant and I have moderate social anxiety. Yes, it’s a contradiction, but I love my job and don’t want to do anything else. I think it’s a testament to how truly far I’ve come in ten years when I used to stay in my bedroom 24 hours a day.

In spite of that I struggle with confrontation, making announcements, and have trouble with problem-solving and thinking on my feet when I’m nervous. I cherish each day I get to do this job and I wonder if anyone else is in a similar position?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes. I am a sales person for 3 hotels. I have always been outgoing but in 10th grade a switch flicked and I started to feel anxious about everything. In the beginning the social anxiety was limited to public speaking. It has now encroached in all areas of my work life including meeting new clients, reading out loud, being in groups etc. i am on an anxiety med but it really doesnt help. Xanax is the only thing that has worked but i rarely take it for fear of addiction. I am currently reading Dare and it is making sense. I have been letting people around me know of my ailment which helps keep the anxiety level low when at work. Each day is scary but i refuse to give up. I would love to know what works well for others

·
Song and action man
677 Posts
Hi, I’m a 30-year-old female and flight attendant and I have moderate social anxiety. Yes, it’s a contradiction, but I love my job and don’t want to do anything else. I think it’s a testament to how truly far I’ve come in ten years when I used to stay in my bedroom 24 hours a day.

In spite of that I struggle with confrontation, making announcements, and have trouble with problem-solving and thinking on my feet when I’m nervous. I cherish each day I get to do this job and I wonder if anyone else is in a similar position?
1st major props to you. I know how hard that can be to get off out of an agoraphobic phase. I've been there myself.

Not as much as you do but sometimes I deal with the general public. Gets a little easier the more you do it. Helps me to anticipate things and to have a protocol

·
bipolar
17,200 Posts
Wow - that's impressive. Good for you - that takes a lot of guts.

I had jobs in the past where I had to deal with the public, it can be pretty stressful. I could handle it usually okay but I never got used to taking classes or giving talks, that was too much for me.

·
Registered
8,820 Posts
That's definitely something to be proud of. I'm a city mail carrier and have to interact with people at their homes and businesses. Some routes have very limited interaction and some have tons of it, particularly the business/town office ones. I find that some days I'm socially inept and some days I don't feel that anxious and speak more freely.

I feel the same way you do about my job. There is a sense of pride in leaving our comfort zones and working with the public on a regular basis. I've noticed that the longer I stay here I become more and more comfortable with the job and interactions with people I see every day. Eventually it should all feel like second nature for us.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts