Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Writer
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else who is getting less and less empathic?
Sometimes i am of the view that all other people are scum. I know i am not inside their mind, and quite probably my disgusted expression (which i normally cover-up) spells similar views to them of myself. But the thought that i am surrounded by something not quite that good is persistent.

Then again i think, even if i actually knew anyone who i had reason to view as good-natured, those qualities would perish soon when met with my depression.

I am just carrying a huge load on my back. I cannot really continue in this way. I want to leave as far away as i can from the idiots in my family, but all my money is gone, part of it due to their own debt. But at the rate things are going i am not even sure if i will last until i will supposedly land the job i applied for. And even then it might be too late.

·
Permanently Baned
2,594 Posts
I think my empathy for people has always been there. It's just gotten more focused with time due to being burned repetitively by people in certain cases. However, for familly, my emotion distance is indeed always increasing just like entropy is increasing.

·
Registered
---------------------------- ▓▓▓▓Groovy▓▓▓▓
7,831 Posts
As I age, I find that my empathy is increasing for people. I have an incredibly guilty conscious, if I do someone wrong I'll dwell on it and it just makes life miserable. Having kids really changed my focus from myself to the needs of other people.

I don't want to go around slapping myself on the back for being such a great person, far from it, I make plenty of mistakes and lash out on others, which always and I mean ALWAYS comes back to haunt me. If anything, I wish I had more patience and had the wisdom to over ride my emotions when it comes to a quick judgement I occasionally make.

I've been working on trying not to see the faults in people as of late, and trying to be a bit humble. For most of my life I have gained a sense of self worth by comparing myself to others, and tearing them down (in my mind) to make myself seem more important. This has led mostly to a false sense of superiority that is easily broken down, it also leads to less motivation to improve myself. Plus it creates a barrier that only serves to further keep me isolated from others.

It really comes down to self preservation though, being good to others in turn makes me feel better about myself. It seems as though my motivations are still selfish - can't seem to escape that no matter how I conduct myself ;)

·
Banned
5,103 Posts
I am misanthropic, I don't hate people/humanity, I just have contempt for them. It's just that the people I am surrounded by that I meet in everyday life are so boring. They all watch the same tv and listen to the same music and have the same opinions and wear the same clothes etc etc. Celebrity has replaced religion (at least in the UK) as the distraction for the masses.

·
Banned
1,038 Posts
Not sure if I'm becoming less empathetic, or if I'm just more selective in showing it nowadays. I've also started to become really annoyed by people who place a huge emphasis on being nice and make a big show of their compassion and all that bumf. I mean, good for you and all, but you must be a bloody boring dweeb if empathy (of all things) is your biggest selling point.

·
Shoe Czar
198 Posts
Yes. The more time I spend trapped in my head, the harder it is to really care about what's going on with other people.

·
Back from the dead
498 Posts
I feel exactly like theseventhkey described.

But as time has gone by, I realize it's not so much as hate, but a profound disappointment with others, including myself. One of the most crippling and self-destructive realizations a person can have is the discovery that you are not a good person...and never were to begin with. But it doesn't mean you can't at least try to be.

·
Writer
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
At least you can arrive at a conclusion about yourself. In my case i have been drowning so many parts of my personality in so many ways for years, endlessly pretending to like others (including immediate family) that i am by now formed in corridors and tunnels.
I cannot say if anyone could like me. Then again i am pretty sure other people have their own demons anyway, so maybe it would be a tie.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts