Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
I almost forgot. Last time I went to the doctor, he had this nurse or something he was training who came into the room with him. As I said, he usually doesn't give me a hard time at all. This woman drove me up the friggin wall! She started lecturing me about smoking (I was trying to quit anyway but I hate being lectured like you wouldn't believe). Then she started lecturing me about my diet and my cholesterol. OK. Seriously! I know it's her job but I don't give a damn about my health to be honest. I just wanted to tell her I hope I die in a week to see the shock on her face. Then she started on me asking me why I didn't work. Why the hell is that any of her business? Here's this person I don't even know telling me to get a job, quit smoking and lose weight when I was just there to get a prescription for Depakote. I wasn't expecting it at all and wanted out of there so bad!

Anyway, she rubbed me completely the wrong way. If I go back and she's there again, I won't go to him anymore.

·
Registered
120 Posts
For me (and I suspect other females with SA) the gynecologist is the worst. I was finally able to go for the first time about 3 years ago and haven't been back since. I figured out afterward that it really wasn't the exam that bothered me the most, but the fact that you have to discuss your sexual history etc....of which I have none, and I felt very childish. Like I wasn't a real "adult". The dr. didn't make me feel that way though, it's just how I feel.
Me too - I hate it! I have to go see my ob/gyn for an endometrial biopsy in preparation for (hopefully) an endometrial ablation. For me it's not only having to undress but I have a very low pain threshold and even paps hurt. I've been refused any painkiller or valium to take when I have this biopsy thing done as I was told that supposedly it's nothing more than like having a labor pain. Well I don't have any kids so how the h*ll do I know what that feels like. I'll be lucky if I don't end up jumping off the table and running for my life when I have this done.

·
Permanently bored
2,813 Posts
I don't mind going to the doctor, it's just leaving the house to do it that I don't like. Maybe it's just laziness, I'm not sure. I have no issue with doctors checking me over though it's not really "social contact", and I'm pretty conscious about my health.

I'm quite apprehensive about going to the dentist though. I've had some bad dentist experiences in the past so perhaps that's why. One time I had to have a dental operation and I had to have general anesthetic, I freaked out when they tried to give me an IV (even though I had no problems with needles and I'd even had IVs multiple times before) so they just held me down and gave me the gas and skipped the usual IV induction.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I almost forgot. Last time I went to the doctor, he had this nurse or something he was training who came into the room with him. As I said, he usually doesn't give me a hard time at all. This woman drove me up the friggin wall! She started lecturing me about smoking (I was trying to quit anyway but I hate being lectured like you wouldn't believe). Then she started lecturing me about my diet and my cholesterol. OK. Seriously! I know it's her job but I don't give a damn about my health to be honest. I just wanted to tell her I hope I die in a week to see the shock on her face. Then she started on me asking me why I didn't work. Why the hell is that any of her business? Here's this person I don't even know telling me to get a job, quit smoking and lose weight when I was just there to get a prescription for Depakote. I wasn't expecting it at all and wanted out of there so bad!

Anyway, she rubbed me completely the wrong way. If I go back and she's there again, I won't go to him anymore.
I had a similar situation with my doc at the VA a couple weeks ago. I was only there for a checkup and to get my thyroid checked. Well because of my history of eating disorders (in particular Bulimia), I've always asked to be weighed backwards since for me seeing large numbers on the scale = serious urge to binge/purge. Well I thought I was through with her when she left me in the nurses office waiting for my blood to be drawn. Well she proceeds to stick her head in the door and tell me she would really like to see my weight get down below 200 (so much for letting me "not know my weight"). I explained to her that I had gained 80lbs on Seroquel, came clean with her about the Bulimia and it went in through one ear and out the other. She kept badgering me about my weight, how i should be exercising, what I should be eating. Well, first of all I was appalled at her lack of concern about the physical impacts of Bulimia. That in itself can cause DEATH much faster than being overweight. Also, (and I told her this) I have an ACE Certification in Group Exercise and Weight Management so I know how I should be eating and exercising. I finally got the lecture to stop when I mentioned that I wanted to put a gun to my head because of the weight I had gained. So all the sudden she gives a d*mn, asks if I had a "plan". I said "as a matter of fact I do but I'm sure as h*ll not going to tell you what it is". I'm like you. I don't give a damn about my health either right now. Why should I? I have no friends or anything to look forward to.

Geez, I can't believe your doc asked you why you aren't working? It's none of their business! So yeah, like you, here is someone who doesn't even know me telling me I need to lose weight, exercise more, and see a dietician. The only thing that kept me from running away as fast as I could was that I was still waiting for my blood to be drawn for my thyroid levels.

This is one of few examples of why I HATE doctors!

·
Monster
6,552 Posts
Emergencies only, since I cannot deal with pain. Otherwise, it's not worth the anxiety and I'm hoping to die sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think the last time I went to the doc was for a physical back in highschool, so been awhile! I've made numerous appointments since then, but that nagging SA voice in my head always finds a way to talk me out of going.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yes. I haven't been to one since I was 14. A few months ago I fainted for no reason at all and didn't even go to the doctor for that. I don't know why I treat it like such a big deal though.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I am terrified of going to the doctor, but I end up having to be there all the freaking time. I just cry the whole time I'm there. They can never get my blood pressure or heartbeat because it's always off the charts.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I hate going to the doctor and always have. I am almost 50, and have heard that point being the time to get a prostate exam. Its not happening. Noone is going to stick anything up my sh*****. My butt has a sign that says DO NOT ENTER. Seriously, I will not go. I have also hated to get shots. I don't care if that is something a person should outgrow.
As far as the dentist, I have always hated going there, too. The pain is just too much to take if you have a cavities(s).

·
Banned
82 Posts
I hate going to the doctor and always have. I am almost 50, and have heard that point being the time to get a prostate exam. Its not happening. Noone is going to stick anything up my sh*****. My butt has a sign that says DO NOT ENTER. Seriously, I will not go.
This is precisely the reason why I never had a physical exam (and probably never will). I'd really like to get an exam to find any potential problems I may have that I don't know about, but there is no way any doctor is going to probe and feel and insert his/her fingers in those areas below my waist.

It never fails to surprise me when I hear of people (especially guys) going to the doctor every year or two for the purpose of getting a physical exam, knowing that a doctor is going to have them bend over and stick something up their rear, and also knowing they are going to be feeling on their private parts checking for problems.

There must be a better way for doctors to do check for problems with us than to violate us in these ways. What happened to all the technology we're supposed to have? Can't they just take an x-ray or use some other type of technology to check us over in those most private of areas? Can we at least have the option of declaring beforehand that we do not them exploring our various private parts?

If we had better solutions to this problem then I'm sure many more people would get physical exams, which of course would be the right thing to do in regards to our health.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've had a physical exam once, and the doctor was really creepy. I was being tested for orchitis, but I couldn't stand the doctor's method. He didn't even close the door to the room all the way.

Haven't seen a doctor since.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have trouble with this too, never really had much need to go growing up, although I did break a bone in my hand when I was around 15, I really should have gone then but anyways... since I was 20 I've just had this thing about going to the doctor, just that interaction puts me off, like he/she is judging me or thinking I'm lying or something. Ironically, now that I want treatment for my SA, SA is the very thing keeping me from going. I am trying natural remedies like St John's Wort (which has helped my recent bout of depression) and soon to be Rhodiola.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts