Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate going to the dentist, but I manage to do it anyway (not a lot of talking involved when your mouth is full of metal tools and gloved hands), but I can't bring myself to go to the doctor. I honestly can't even remember the last time I had a proper "checkup", though I did to to the ER about three years ago when I broke my wrist. I really don't see myself deciding to go anytime in the foreseeable future either.

Does anybody else avoid this? The thought of a complete stranger (doctor or not; I don't care) touching my body for any reason freaks me out.

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
I don't mind going to see the dentist or a doctor but I absolutely cannot stand going to an eye doctor. The worst part is sitting in the waiting room with other people.

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
When my SA was much worse, I used to be afraid of the waiting rooms at doctor's offices. There was a doctor's office that I didn't mind so much, but for awhile I lost my insurance. My mom wanted me to go to a free clinic for some problem I was having(can't remember now). The idea of being in the waiting room full of strangers scared me so much that I refused. I think it was a first come, first serve type of place, so I would have been waiting for a long time. It's hard to remember much now, but I know I was really terrified. This was during a time when I was basically house bound because of sa. The thing that makes me the most nervous about doctors now is if it's a problem where I have to take my clothes off. I'm getting better with that though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I used to be really bad about going to the doctors too. It's funny because the dentist didn't bother me as much either, for pretty much the same reasons you said. I was really sick a couple years ago and I didn't have much choice but to go to the doctor fairly often. I can't remember the last time I had a regular "check up" either. I don't go unless I have to. It still makes me a bit nervous, but it's tolerable now.

·
Daydreaming
586 Posts
I hate doing to the doctor!! I haven't had a check up in 6 years. I ended up going to the ER in march.....found out I need surgery, which Im avoiding as much as I can so far. :eek: dont like the people, dont like "medicine", dont like anything about going.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I am probably the only one here who likes going to both the dentist and the doctors. One i like the dentist because the make the pain stop, I've had in the past two years some serious tooth aches. And as for the doctor I enjoy it, i never knew why untill someone suggested that is probably because the attention is all on me, it's all about me. and i have to admit I love attention.
My Sa is usually its most prominent, when i don't have an excuse to talk or have attention on me. But when someone asks me a question or when I HAVE to speak, i love it because That is what I REALLY WANT, is to interact with people, wonder if that makes sense...:afr

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I don't like it but I go. I don't go right away, I tend to wait until something really is bothering me immensely before I go. It drives my mom crazy when I do that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The thing that makes me the most nervous about doctors now is if it's a problem where I have to take my clothes off. I'm getting better with that though.
Yeah that's kind of the main thing with me. If I could go there and just give blood and have them listen to my heart or whatever, I wouldn't care. But I'm paranoid I would have to take my clothes off for whatever reason. There's no disrobing at the dentist! :b

My Sa is usually its most prominent, when i don't have an excuse to talk or have attention on me. But when someone asks me a question or when I HAVE to speak, i love it because That is what I REALLY WANT, is to interact with people, wonder if that makes sense...
Well I don't get that personally, since I *hate* attention, but I get what you're saying and it does make sense, yeah.

·
Registered
719 Posts
For me (and I suspect other females with SA) the gynecologist is the worst. I was finally able to go for the first time about 3 years ago and haven't been back since. I figured out afterward that it really wasn't the exam that bothered me the most, but the fact that you have to discuss your sexual history etc....of which I have none, and I felt very childish. Like I wasn't a real "adult". The dr. didn't make me feel that way though, it's just how I feel.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I hate going to the dentist, but I manage to do it anyway (not a lot of talking involved when your mouth is full of metal tools and gloved hands), but I can't bring myself to go to the doctor. I honestly can't even remember the last time I had a proper "checkup", though I did to to the ER about three years ago when I broke my wrist. I really don't see myself deciding to go anytime in the foreseeable future either.

Does anybody else avoid this? The thought of a complete stranger (doctor or not; I don't care) touching my body for any reason freaks me out.
I'm the same way. I can handle eye docters or dentist but regular docters freak me out. I only go when I have to... the last time being like 7+ years ago cause I hurt my collarbone and had to go to the emergency room.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I hate going to doctors & dentists and have spent my life avoiding it as much as possible.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
Yeah. I'm not much on going to a doctor. I have to go periodically because of my epilepsy. I have to have the meds for that and can't get them without a prescription. I found a GP who just listens to my lungs and heart and asks me a few questions and then writes me a prescription. I usually take my mother in with me so they don't ask me to get undressed or anything :D I would totally freak if I had to take my clothes off for a doctor.

Otherwise, I would never go to the doctor. In fact, I need new glasses now. It's been at least 10 years since I had new ones. I'm just putting it off. I don't want to go at all.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
In fact, I need new glasses now. It's been at least 10 years since I had new ones. I'm just putting it off. I don't want to go at all.
How have your glasses managed to not totally fall apart after 10 years? Mine are 12 1/2 years old, but I only wear them when not wearing contacts, which is the only reason they've managed to last that long.

I can't go 10 years between visits since I need contacts and they don't last a decade. For all those who freak out about touching their own eyes just consider that this doc puts the sample pair on his patients -- he touches their eyes! Well, there is a lens between his finger and your eye, so it's like sex-with-a-condom-type touching.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
How have your glasses managed to not totally fall apart after 10 years? Mine are 12 1/2 years old, but I only wear them when not wearing contacts, which is the only reason they've managed to last that long.
I really don't know how they lasted this long. They just did. The frames are actually in pretty good shape, too. I thought of just replacing the lenses. I'm fairly gentle with stuff, I guess.

·
Banned
768 Posts
While going to the doctor was never too big of a fear for me, something happened a couple of years ago that put everything into perspective and rid me of any lingering fears I had. I had to go to a urologist for boring reasons I won't get into on here.

I initially met with the male doctor for the first oppointment, which was basically just a discussion. However for the second visit, I was suprised to have a young (late 20's, early 30's) attractive female P.A. come in the door instead of the actual doctor. (For those who don't know, it's quite common for P.A.'s to handle follow up oppointments, as they are about as knowledgeable as the doctor, they just can't write prescrips.).

Anyhow, she sits down with my chart, discusses the problem, which was embarrassing enough!, and then says, well "I see here you didn't have a digital rectal exam last time, so we need to do that". At those words I thought I was going to die. (for those who don't know, a d.r.e is where the doctor basically sticks their finger up your rectum to feel your prostate gland).

Anyhow! As embarrassing as that was, I lived through it. I had to meet with her 3 or 4 more times after that, and each time it got much easier to speak openly with her and toward the end I had no anxiety.

For someone with SA, that was tough. I know were all adults, and one's health is a serious matter. But geez, that was anxiety provoking!

Moral of the story, I feel if I can handle that, I can handle anything when it comes to seeing a doctor. It shouldn't matter anyway, our health is more important than our embarrasement.

·
herp derp
2,347 Posts
Ditto although, I don't mind going - I just find it uncomfortable. I remember one time when I was little (my eczema was really bad at this point of my life so my doctor decides to refer me to a skin clinic/hospital/skin clinic inside hospital-cant exactly remember which). I had to strip everything off except my pants for them to examine me - very embarassing.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I have only been to see the doctor once in my adult life (he had to visit me once as well about a painful personal problem - lol, you should have seen the size of those things!!) but for me the major obstacle is the telephone and all the hassle of trying to make an appointment. I'm unlikely to go back there until such time as death is a distinct possibility. The trouble is, once you get to a certain age, the medical profession get you in their grasp and then they won't let go. You then spend the rest of your life going in and out of the doctor's office every five minutes so that they can prescribe more and more tablets. I'm at that age! :b

·
Banned
82 Posts
Anyhow, she sits down with my chart, discusses the problem, which was embarrassing enough!, and then says, well "I see here you didn't have a digital rectal exam last time, so we need to do that". At those words I thought I was going to die. (for those who don't know, a d.r.e is where the doctor basically sticks their finger up your rectum to feel your prostate gland).
This is EXACTLY why I've never had a physical exam in my life.

I don't want anyone - doctor or not - sticking their fingers in my rectum. And I don't want any doctor grabbing my jewels, telling me to "turn your head and cough". (Megan Fox, Yes! -- my local doctor, No!).

Being in my 40's, I know I need to have a total physical exam to catch anything that could be wrong with me. Lately I've been trying to talk myself into going to the doctor to get a physical exam. However, I just can't bring myself to do it for the reasons mentioned above.

I have a feeling at some point I'm going to regret it....

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
I don't have a family doctor. I have not been to a family doctor for about 10 years. If I have something wrong with me I go to a Redi Med which is like in between a doctor and hospital. My goal this year is to go to a family doctor and get a check up.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts