Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my fourth semester in college. The first week or two is always pretty difficult for me. These are some of the things I go through. I'm wondering if any of you have similar experiences.

1) I'm always afraid that the professor is going to ask each person in the class to introduce his/herself. This often accompanies a request along the lines of: "say one/two interesting things about yourself." This situation tends to be particularly intimidating for me, and my heart starts to race as the instructor goes student by student and asks them to speak. To be honest with you, I have trouble thinking of one interesting to say...

2) I also tend to be frightened if the syllabus indicates that there is an oral component to the grade (like a presentation). I'm taking French this semester and the class of course has a big oral component and participation grade. Very worried about it, but I'm really trying hard to not give in to anxiety and drop the class.

3) If there's a group project as part of the grade - that's bad too, makes me want to drop the course. I always hope that the professor will just assign us groups rather than ask us to form them on our own. Usually I don't have anybody in the class to work with and everyone else seems to just form their groups so quickly, leaving me to awkwardly say that I don't have a group.

Most of these fears tend to pass after a few weeks and I settle into the class. Recognizing that doesn't seem to make RIGHT NOW any easier though.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I agree with all three of the above that you just said. My syllabi include all the three : )

I admire your courage with the French class; the more we expose ourselves the better we can get. I'm so scared right now too, it's like dread is standing on my chest. Hope your semester goes well. Peace

·
Registered
10 Posts
Frankly i remember number 3 quiet well. Last semester i had a course where we had to form groups our selves and work on projects. It was my first experience with this kind of courses and i didn't know any one in this classroom yet. At the end of the lecture the professor took all the students names and loudly said: any one else? Yes me i replied. He asked me what is your group? i don't have one. Then find your self a group, said the professor.
Can i join your group? that was the my question to the guys sitting beside me. And you can imagine the humiliation and tension lol.
Weeks passed and the guys in my group all dropped the course and it happened for me to be absent and i didn't know. So the professor automatically put me with another group without me knowing. Oh man it was such a mess lol. I ended up meeting up with the other group at a coffeeshop and working on the project together. It went good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can completely agree with you on all three counts.
The ironic thing about my situation, is that until the last four years, I used to be in speech competitions and stuff. Now I'm useless! I absolutely dread the "introduce yourself" component - I mean is it really necessary? lol.
One of my courses is called "Writing for Digital Media", so I assumed that only meant writing and editing - but I have to do a television interview on local network television. I have a month until that happens, but I'm shaking just thinking about it. Blah!
Good luck with your first few weeks! I always try to take it one day at a time. lol

·
Registered
485 Posts
I can completely agree with you on all three counts.
The ironic thing about my situation, is that until the last four years, I used to be in speech competitions and stuff. Now I'm useless! I absolutely dread the "introduce yourself" component - I mean is it really necessary? lol.
One of my courses is called "Writing for Digital Media", so I assumed that only meant writing and editing - but I have to do a television interview on local network television. I have a month until that happens, but I'm shaking just thinking about it. Blah!
Good luck with your first few weeks! I always try to take it one day at a time. lol
wow good luck with that! I have to teach a class and get recorded while doing so. so I understand haha

·
Registered
802 Posts
Dude I absolutely HATE 1 and 2. And I also procrastinate the first week or two. I actually dropped one of my classes because the teacher told us that each student would have to do an oral presentation 20-30 minutes long. Can you believe that? How can you get enough research and talk that long by yourself?? I dropped that class after the first day. I will take that class with another teacher. I'm just not ready to do something like that yet. I will avoid that professor every class. Still taking 5 classes though so I will just take that class another semester. And in 2 of my classes I had to do the one where you have to introduce yourself to the class. My heart was racing so bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.