Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess this is a problem with my self image, I feel like I am somehow not worth very much and I don't want other people to trouble themselves for me because after all, it's only me.

For example I just heard of ambulance go screeching by creating a terrible racket for several minutes with its siren. I was just thinking to myself how if I am ever in need of an ambulance, how I wish it would keep its siren off and drive more slowly because I don't feel anywhere near important enough to wake up the entire neighborhood with a siren that loud even if I am having a medical emergency.

·
Awesome.
884 Posts
I have a really hard time letting those close to me help me with things, but it's not because I feel unworthy. It's because when I was young, I felt like my role in the family was to make sure everything was ok, and of course, as a child that's an impossible task. What I could do, though, was make sure I was always ok so that no one would have any extra worries. That tendency has never gone away. I try to keep my problems to myself as much as possible.

Anyway, I think it's great that you're recognizing your thoughts when you feel unworthy, and I think now you should start to question those thoughts. For example, when you found yourself thinking that you're not important enough to wake up the neighborhood, you can then ask yourself, "well, what makes someone important enough to wake up the neighborhood?" That can help you start thinking about it more logically and maybe help shift your feelings a little.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts