Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love working out it is a great way to relieve all the pissed off energy i have inside of me. Once i get into the weightroom its like I dont have SA anymore, i feel so confident and it is amazing

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
Whenever I get on the treadmill, I walk away feeling so much better. I want to try the weight lifting machines, but I'm uncertain what I should try first (being that I've never lifted in my life.)

I might get a personal trainer. Do you have any tips for the weight lifting beginner?

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
I love working out as well. It's hard right now because I don't have access to a gym so I can only do home workouts, and it's a little bit harder to get the motivation to do them.

Winter, I would say to be sure to stretch out your muscles and start out with light weights first doing lots of reps. Also, have a plan on what muscle group you want to work on each day. For example; Do chest and biceps on Monday. Back and shoulders on Tuesday, etc..

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
I love working out as well. I get a "joggers high" and it makes me feel good.

·
sp chick
222 Posts
hell yea i love working out...been running on the treadmill since 5 am!!! w0o ho0oo!! its 6 am now~mad energized!!!

·
Registered
516 Posts
I like it But I hate going to the gym and risk running into people when I'm feeling anxious. But I like to play basketball, which would probably be the equivalent to dancing on a Saturday night for girls, it just melts the stress away!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I try to work out but unfortunately there is something screwed up with my knee (torn meniscus or something). Running and some weight lifting exercises can aggrevate the issue.

I should get my bike tuned up and use that for cardio.

·
Banned
768 Posts
I try to work out but unfortunately there is something screwed up with my knee (torn meniscus or something). Running and some weight lifting exercises can aggrevate the issue.

I should get my bike tuned up and use that for cardio.
Definetely, I think its one of our greatest weapons in the war on SA. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whenever I get on the treadmill, I walk away feeling so much better. I want to try the weight lifting machines, but I'm uncertain what I should try first (being that I've never lifted in my life.)

I might get a personal trainer. Do you have any tips for the weight lifting beginner?
the weightroom can be pretty intimidating at first but once you realize that no one really cares if you cant lift as much as they can then you can do your own thing (i struggled with this aspect at first). A personal trainer is great but im a poor college student so i just looked up a bunch of routines and exercises online and winged it when i got there. Ive been weightlifting for about a year and once you know what your doing, by picking it up from other people and such, its increases your confidence so much!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Yes i love going to the gym sometimes i get lazy but when i'm at Ballys and i get on the treadmill,eliptical,sometimes bike, and arm and leg machines. I feel powerful i do alot when i'm at the gym i'm there for 2-3 hours.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes, very much. Only started about 3 years ago when I was really flabby and out of shape and it pretty much transformed my body and my perception of myself. I don't go to the gym, I'd rather do weight training at home and run on the beach. I also like the runner's high some people have mentioned here.

·
SAS Member
14,452 Posts
I love working out, but the problem is, i love being lazy even more :lol
Exercise is great, though, i can't deny that. I feel really great after a good long bike ride.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, love working out. I find if I let myself go for more than a week or if I feel like I'm gaining weight from not working out my SA greatly increase. I think being and getting in shape is a great form of medication for SA. If you can dedicate 3 months of eating healthy and working out 3 to 5 times a weak, I honestly think your SA would seriously diminish.

·
anhedonic
2,005 Posts
My idea of working out is walking for three miles at the park. I won't run because I don't want to tear up my knees, and I don't do any weights because I'm too lazy for that.

Yes, I enjoy exercising.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I do some weight training in the comfort of my dads garage at home. It does give me a buzz, although i find it hard sometimes to get the motivation to get started.

·
Registered
609 Posts
exercise increases endorphins which makes one feel better, reduces stress/anxiety/depression...there are studies out there that show that exercise is as effective at treating depression as anti-depressants.....i HAVE to exercise...every morning, if i dont i dont feel right...

ill also say that exercise isnt the cure for anxiety or SA...still working on that one...

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
For years, I was a runner. Back in college I lifted weights too. At one time a few years ago, I became obsessed with exercise. I have always heard that exercise was supposed to make you feel better, but it never made me feel better. I was still just as depressed and angry when I finished. I did it only fit because I wanted to look good. I was thin, way too thin. In the last few years, I just gave it up altogether. I just don't care. And, if you don't care, you don't take care of yourself like you should. And I don't take care of myself.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts