Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The more time I spend here, the more helpless I feel and the more I feel like I've just thrown away my youth and my parents' money.

I'll be 20 in September and I feel that outside of the friendships I've made here (mostly due to the fraternity I joined), college has been an absolute waste and I've just become jaded on the concept of institutionalized education as a whole. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE to learn, and I don't think there's a single soul in the world who is outright against the idea of actually learning something.

My beef with school has always been just how rigid it is. Everybody sits in a class for about an hour, sometimes two, sometimes three, and hell, with me, sometimes four. Those hours are spent just cramming information into your head, hoping that enough of it is retained to justify the sheer boredom you've just gone through. Then you've got tests, upon tests, upon tests that cause you endless amounts of stress as you try to preserve that arbitrary number called a GPA. I just don't feel like this is learning.

My interest is never stimulated, and after most classes, I have no further desire to study any further. As a result, I just end up forgetting the information. I keep thinking about different paths I could've taken. All that money my parents spent getting me into school because I firmly believed college was the only way? I could've had a decent job by now, picked up some useful skills along the way, hell, maybe be successful enough to support myself rather than asking my mom for pocket cash every weekend. I could've used that money I would've used on college to take some japanese courses with a private tutor AND visit the country itself, and have enough money leftover for other stuff that I want to do or study. Instead, it's being spent on useless Gen Ed courses that I'm forced to take because 'the school says so' and exploring new levels of stress that were previously unreachable.

The only thing keeping me here is honestly the fact that so much money has already been invested into this scam that it's too late to back out now.

·
Banned
642 Posts
If I'd known what I know now when I was 18 and fresh out of high school, I definitely would have made some different decisions. University is a HUGE waste of money and time unless you want to be a medical doctor (M.D.), lawyer or some other professional that requires a degree. If that is not your goal... then your money would be much better spent at a technical school or community college in a specific program that you know is in-demand and will lead to a job network that is wider than most traditional jobs (i.e. jobs that you can get with a high school diploma).

I've been looking at the cost of some Bachelor's and Master's programs, and the numbers are outrageous! Especially when you look at the salary and unemployment rates of some of them! Yikes! :afr

Yeah... I made the mistake of thinking that University was the right path. Now all I have is an Associate's Degree that isn't specific to any sort of profession (English) and a few credits towards a Bachelor's and a large chunk of a student loan.

EXTRA NOTE: I've since signed up with several agencies, tried (and failed) a couple of jobs, and I'm now unemployed and living with my parents hoping that "something" will eventually work out.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Focus on your interests. No, really. You mentioned Nihongo, yes? Go buy some beginner books and focus on that. I suggest Minna no Nihongo as an elementary-level book. Then perhaps after that you could get a standard N5 text book as reference for your studies?

Focus on your interests. Because it'll give you just a little bit of meaningful purpose. Learning a language is really cool and useful, right? You'll become smarter, more cultural and you'll be able to communicate with 120 million more people!

Focus on your interests. Because if you don't, you'll start to realize how aimless and **** life is.

I quit art school last year because.. well, I never wanted to go there in the first place. I knew that art can be learned independently. That art school was very expensive. But I went because that's what you're supposed to do. Now I'm in another university for Foundation in Science. I'm kind of interested in Robotics. Might do something with that.

But still. One year of this foundation crap. This understimulating, textbook-memorizing crap. And then another 4 ****ing years of a bachelor's degree.

I need to focus on my interests. Because if I don't, I'll start to notice that everything around me is dark. That's I'm lost and at the same time trapped and I don't know what to do about it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I feel ya OP, ever since I was in elementary school my dream has been to get into a good university and study in Computer Science. But after I saw several of my friends graduate from a university, they were $20,000+ in debt and struggled to find a job related to their degree, I changed my mind. I'm going to tell you something that might shock you, you don't have to go to a University to learn everything they teach there. You can go to a bookstore and buy all the textbooks they would make you buy anyways, but you can learn at your own pace and really take in all the information. Plus you can buy certification guides for certain areas your interested in and you can get certified on your own time without a university.

"I spent three days a week for 10 years educating myself in the public library, and it's better than college. People should educate themselves - you can get a complete education for no money. At the end of 10 years, I had read every book in the library and I'd written a thousand stories." - Ray Bradbury

1 - 5 of 5 Posts