Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,827 Posts
The shaving option should be done early if you want to avoid seeing crown outline. You'll get that outline if you go about it in the later stages. When I look in the mirror I think I can see hints of the balding possibility, I'm not sure it's obvious as I haven't asked anyone nor have I been told of it but it seems to me that it may happen. Remember if you shave you head you can always grow a beard

·
R.I.P. Do not contact.
1,905 Posts
Started thinning out at 21 or so, and it's noticeable from a far distance by now. I usually shave it all off, but I'm often too lazy to, and end up walking around town looking like I have mange.

I love the way my relatives have point it out at every family gathering, like, "What'd you do? All of us have hair!"

·
Registered
290 Posts
well there may be many reasons for that, genetics, stress, and high amounts of testosterone (lol that would mean that ur extra manly). i think you should shave it, post pics and maybe we can tell you how it would look like.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Your best bet is going with a DHT inhibitor, this is the primary cause of male pattern baldness...and it isn't even close. Get something like a propecia prescription you have a good chance of stopping the receding hairline and possibly regrowing hair. The only issue is you can never stop taking the stuff the rest of your life, because when you do you will just start receding again.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Get something like a propecia prescription...
It's cheaper to buy Proscar. Both are the same drug, finasteride, in different dosage sizes: 5 mg Proscar for enlarged prostate & 1 mg Propecia for male pattern baldness. You can get a pill cutter and quarter a Proscar tablet (it harder to do fifths, though you could if you wanted). And I'm virtually certain Proscar is now generic.

Having used it years ago, I can tell you that it didn't work for me. Minoxidil also proved useless for me. Minoxidil is also a royal pain in the a**, having to apply it twice a day every day. And if you go with the 5% version you end up with an oil slick on your head that can take up to 6 hours to dry. The 2% version is less potent, but not nearly as greasy. Though I'd say neither one works. Numerous independent studies have concluded that it grows no "cosmetically significant" hair. In other words, it technically grows hair if you count what amounts to peach fuzz.

·
Banned
728 Posts
I've heard horrible stories about propecia side effects. Worst than any side effects you can get from anxiety meds.

I have thinning hair also, I shave it all off but leave about between 0.5 to 1 cm in length and I think it looks better this way.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I don't think baldness makes a man look less attractive. It's a sign of manliness. A thick head of hair on a man always look a bit suspicous to me!

Prince William is 26 and has been losing his hair for a while. He has also grown a beard. Doesn't seem to do him any harm: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_PhZffsL3yQA/SVo-tKKhiFI/AAAAAAAACd0/zPH536IT1WI/s320/e1.jpg

Bruce Willis (pfhoooaaar!): http://stupidcelebrities.net/wp-content/bruce_willis.jpg I think he looks much more attractive with a shaved head and a stubbly beard than like this: http://www.jupeal.com/Actores/Bruce_Willis/BruceWillis4.jpg

·
Retired Enforcer
19,113 Posts
I have a cousin who was totally bald by 23. He makes up for it with a full beard and handlebar mustache.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
My hair has been thinning and receding for over a year now. I didn't really notice until I had my haircut 6 months ago and my hair wouldn't comb right because...it was missing. I never really appreciated my hair while it was there in all its glory and now that it is leaving me I miss it so.

No one but my sister has made a comment, in which she said (whilst sitting next to her 50 year old boyfriend who possesses a full head of hair): Holy sh-t! You're losing your hair!!

Great. Just great. I have been cursed with sh-t genes. This **** shouldn't be happening until I'm 30 or 40, not my early 20's. agghhh! Here I come to turning into another shi-ty old man!

I have no friends, never had a girlfriend, I'm working on getting two worthless degrees, I still live with my parents, I already have high blood pressure, and now I'm going fu-king bald. At 23!
lol, yeah, I do find it amusing though (in a twisted way) how something like hairloss results in some sort of existential crisis. I at times feel I'm getting old before I deserve, as if I don't have the life experience that should commensurate with a balding head.

·
Après moi, le déluge
5,682 Posts
My cousin is 26 and has been losing his hair for several years. Don't worry, though, he still managed to get married in November and his new wife is gorgeous.

I'm really only posting to show my disfavor for the bald head + beard look. Please, don't ever do that. I may have to divorce you. And you'll have to find new wives all on your own.

Have a nice day,
Kelly :)

·
Registered
928 Posts
My partner is balding and shaves. Hes a little self concious of it. But I think its attractive. It doesnt make any difference to me whether a man is balding or not. Its okay!

As stated by leomouse, high levels of testosterone can be a cause as well as stress.

You will find someone one day who loves you for you, not your hair.

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,827 Posts
I'm really only posting to show my disfavor for the bald head + beard look. Please, don't ever do that. I may have to divorce you. And you'll have to find new wives all on your own.

Have a nice day,
Kelly :)
You know I think growing a beard when going bald thing is a sort of coping mechanism. I bet half the guys that do end up going back to being clean shaven after coming to terms with their loss.

I'm curious though, you against beards or just the bald head, beard combo?

I happen to be very attracted to bald men!!
Shaved bald or crown bald?

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I've heard horrible stories about propecia side effects. Worst than any side effects you can get from anxiety meds.
Clinical trials show it to have minimal side effects and most people I've heard from find no side effects at all. I too was personally unable to notice any side effects, though it didn't produce any positive effects either.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.