Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I don't like the stress from having to buy gifts (about 12 this year I have to buy), the traveling, and (this is really bad) seeing family is kind of annoying to me. The barrage of Christmas music and decorations..blah. The cold weather and short days don't help, either. I know I sound like Debbie Downer, but, sorry, it's how I feel.

-Solitario-

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm not a fan of Christmas either. My parents are divorced, so I have to divide my time between the two of them and my friends, which can cause more stress than it's worth. These past few Christmases have been insane and I think I'll play it safe this year and lock myself in the laundry room with a bottle of Sobieski and a pack of cigarettes until it's over:D

·
Spectacular Member
21,089 Posts
I like Christmas! its my number one time for getting stuff.

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
*Raises hand* I hate the crowds and the music...mostly the music.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I'm kind of offended by the fact that these holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter) are often the only things that bring family together. My grandma died this summer. I would have liked to have seen her a little bit more than just on these BS occasions. Now there is just my grandpa, and we aren't very close to him. I feel really bad about all of this. I am not the type of person to just let this kind of thing sit, but I don't really have any options (my grandparents house is out of reach for me).

I am too old for the presents thing. I don't want any presents. I'm trying to get my s--t together. If anyone wants to help, they can give me some cash, or at least pay for the podiatrist appointment that I will most likely never have because I am broke. I need this help now, not as a Christmas token. Why can't we just help each other out when needed instead of just being generous during some holiday, because it's fun, it feels nice?

This holiday means less and less to me as I get older. I try to be generous whenever I can, even if I am cheap. I can't see how anyone can not see through the BS of this holiday, from everyday Christians to the most devout atheists. Why do we all keep participating in this crap?

·
giggling ******
11,069 Posts
There's no requirement to celebrate christmas. Of course if you have friends and family, you still may have to fake it.

I've tried telling people that I don't celebrate, but I don't like the hate. I might as well tell people that I eat babies. I may halloween this christmas as Christman, superhero.

·
SAS Member
14,520 Posts
I don't hate it. It's just hard to be with my familly and celebrate when i feel like **** inside. I guess i'm lucky this year because i will celebrate alone. Our familly wont do anything since my bro will be in his girl's familly and my sister will celebrate with her husband. Thats fine with me. I can entertain myself just fine :)

·
Registered
466 Posts
BeNice- I agree with your assessment of the gift giving tradition...it's the source of a lot of shame and hurt feelings and I've decided not to participate this year (mostly because I can't afford it). I don't feel like I should have to pay tribute to members of my extended family who don't feel any obligation to pick up the phone and call me on any of the other 364 days of the year.

·
Neue Nihilist
2,391 Posts
Christmas is nice because I get to go home and have a fun time with my family and friends.

It's also kind of lame because of how frenzied people get about Christmas shopping. It kind of defeats the spirit of the holiday.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I like Christmas. I like the music, the lights, and even the cheesy Christmas movies. I love gift giving. I completely understand why some people hate it, but I've always liked it.

Well except for the spending time with extended family part. I've never liked that. Luckily we're no longer on speaking terms with one side of my family, so I only have to deal with my mom's side. I'm very fortunate this year that I'll be working Christmas Eve which is the day my mom's side gets together. For once I have a legitimate excuse not to show up. I hope I work late. The more extended family time I miss, the better.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
The only thing I don't like is the social get-togethers with distant family. That sounds horrible since I only see these people once a year, but still... I just end up sitting there mute waiting for someone to be the wise *** and say "Futures is talking too much, he needs to quiet down over there" *laughter from everyone else while I pretend to laugh with them*

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Yes, I hate Christmas. I hate putting up the tree, being around my dysfunctional family and getting stuff that I really, really hate.

Plus, I never have money to buy stuff for anyone which makes me feel depressed.

I like it when it snows! :) My birthday arrives, oh! I like my birthday.

·
Registered
738 Posts
It's not just that Christmas is over-commercialized-it's over-emphasized. I don't see the point of recognizing a holiday that's intended to be celebratory if its just a source of dread; no one should have to feel obligated to create stress over something that's supposed to be a break from stress. If you don't want to put together some elaborate get-together and spend tons of money, then don't (despite what society tells you. Of course, maybe this is one of the advantages of being young and single-no one expects much out of you, especially because they figure you're probably broke. If I had my own family, I'd probably feel the pressure to put together that "perfect Christmas". I'd like to think I wouldn't, though).

Personally, I like finding gifts for other people, though only to people I know pretty well. For anyone else, there's always cupcakes or whatever. Or a coupon for a large order of "Mexi-fries" from Taco Time. Hey, I'd be happy if someone I barely know gave me that. I'd rather not get stuff I don't want from people I barely know. The fact that anyone feels like they "have" to give big ticket gifts to mere acquaintances just shows how wasteful our society is.

It pays to think unconventionally when gift-giving, especially since the shopping centers are ghastly around Christmas. I usually get buy other people my age either books or cheesy gag gifts from thrift stores (it's nice how relaxed people's expectations become once they get past childhood).

·
Too School for Cool
6,857 Posts
I like Christmas. The only thing that stresses me out is finding gifts for people. Who do you buy for? How much do you spend? What do they want? What if you forget someone, or someone unexpected gives you a gift and you have nothing for them? Ugh. Too much. I'm always petrified people won't like my gifts and I stress out over it for months.

Other than that, I loves me some Christmas.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I think the over commercialization of Christmas spoiled it for me. In my opinion there is much about it not to like.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.