Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Yes, I've had some relief, but it's not the solution nor is it long term, for me anyhow. I think SSRIs have too many bad effects for me personally to remain using them. I guess it's weighing up the pros and cons and getting a balance. I mean I was quite happy to use them for 5yrs, for me now I think it's time for a change.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
They didn't for me personally but thats not to say they wont work for you. If I had to recommend one that I've tryed personally I'd say lexapro simply because it had the least adverse effects.

·
Banned
1,376 Posts
I got a lot of help and stayed on one for 3 years, I then quit to see if the anxiety would return and it didnt and it still hasnt

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
<raises hand> Paxil has been a wonder drug for me!

·
Geese
20,768 Posts
Zoloft has been good for me, really helped reduce my general anxiety feeling which made seeking therapy possible :)

·
Registered
760 Posts
I think I'm just one of the lucky ones.

20 mg of Celexa.
I was put on the exact same dose for depression and SA back in 2002-03. It was a nightmare first month when it kicked in. Then it really helped me out with the SA. The anxiety and thoughts were still around but I felt like a new person tbh. My then gf at the time was very understanding, confident and outgoing and that helped me too (I miss her :|).

However I ended up changing in 2005 to effexor as 30mg wasn't helping alleviate recurrent depressive episodes (although quite mild). That was a bad experience.

Been on Celexa eversince. Still trying to workout the right dose so as not to get too much side affects. I think 40mg is the best but I find I get quite aggressive/moody and also lethargic and sleep alot with this dosage. It also doesn't rid the depression, that still comes and goes.

Can't drink when on it either, I find a drink can sooth my anxiety when in a club or bar but the reaction the next day is awful and gets me depressed for a week or 2.

I've always considered Lexapro as well but the costs are what concerns me. Celexa costs me 40 bucks (cheaper when you're on a higher dose apparently). I worked out that it's cost me $2500 so far and will end up costing me another $25,000 over the next 40 years!

farout!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was on Escitalopram and hated the side-effects. My arms and legs were aching a lot and I found it hard walking, I felt like an old man. It seems good for major depression as it blots out a lot in your mind but for me it took away my motivation, so I was staying in the house a lot.

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
I found that Lexapro was great for moderate anxiety, but I just constantly felt like my mind was in a haze, so I quit taking it after about 8 months.

And for other drugs that get a really bad rap here but worked for me - Effexor was the only drug that actually cured my depression noticeably.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hmm interesting, I've read similar things about Lexapro and how it affects people's cognitive function as well as feeling spaced out, in a haze etc. I think I had a similar experience on Celexa but I can't recall correctly. I do remember it making me yawn a lot and very tired.

Reason I'm intrigued by Lexapro is because I'm thinking of giving it a try, as like one last go at using SSRIs before throwing in the towel as I've been through around 5 or so.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Fluoxetine (Prozac) was pretty effective for my anxiety at 20mg (despite side-effects), but I took it at the wrong time and only felt good in evenings. Escitalopram (Lexapro) was just pathetic as hell, could barely even tell I was on it most of the time (could've been dose, but it had the side-effects still).

Nowadays I wouldn't take any SSRI without mirtazapine or a similar drug. There is really no need for most of the side-effects. We need some mirtazapine-SSRI combo pills to be developed, to be taken once daily at night.

Reply to above: yes, I've read in a few places now that certain serotonin receptor subtypes inhibit dopamine and/or acetylcholine release in the brain (specifically some of those blocked by mirtazapine). It's easily possible that an SSRI will decrease your intelligence and motivation.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I feel addicted to Celexa. It seems like it's the reason for me doing anything in life. I've wanted to quit it so often but I'm worried that it'll cause me to have severe SA again. I just want a better way to cope with it eg; by developing a shield by learning from experiences, getting myself out there etc. But everytime I think of quitting I just feel like it'll cause me to freefall.

As someone mentioned, celexa gets you drowsy and tired. It also made me quite aggressive at times.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Lexapro/escitalopram withdrawal is affecting my memory quite badly. I also cant seem to settle, my mind keeps racing from one subject to another.

·
3rd SAS Battalion
886 Posts
It appears to work for some and not for others. I got absolutely no relief from any of the SSRIs, I was on all the main ones for 3-4 months at a time. For other people they work.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
If SSRI's work well for you then great, but if they only produce mediocre results, then it doesnt seem to me like a fair trade-off for the side effects, particularly losing your libido.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts