Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not saying I'm severely depressed, but sometimes I just look forward to going to bed. That's when I'm the most relaxed during the day and of course when I wake up, usually for a few minutes I'm pretty calm and refreshed. I don't know if this has to do with SA or not, but sometimes if I'm stressed out a lot I just can't wait to go to bed and sleep it off, like ALOT.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
yep, it's a time i can pause my thoughts for a while. i want to sleep now but since i just ate i have to wait for a few hours.

·
Neither here nor there
798 Posts
I like it because it's guaranteed every night. A guarnteed time to relax where you're not supposed to be doing anything.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right, I should have rephrased my word "excited" to enjoyable. I thought maybe I was the only one who felt really relaxed going to bed. I mean, I know everybody is relaxed when they go to sleep but I felt like I just..realllly really appreciate it like the one poster above said it's guaranteed every night.

·
Ego Sum Umbra Bellator
232 Posts
Yeah, I find I like sleep... sometimes anyway... it can be a good escape. The down side is that I'll have days where I wake up crying when I realize this is the real world and I don't actually have the social life and close friends that I did in my dreams.
It's messed up when the people who care about you the most are constructs of your own unconscious mind.

At the same time I'm a total insomniac and not only is it hard for me to get to sleep and stay asleep, but I seem to avoid sleeping some times as I see it as a waste of time, or because I fear having some happy dream then waking up depressed after realizing it was all just a dream.

So for me it can be a two edged sword. It can be an escape, or it can be one hell of a trigger. It all depends on the context, and how much I remember the next day.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Yeah, I find I like sleep... sometimes anyway... it can be a good escape. The down side is that I'll have days where I wake up crying when I realize this is the real world and I don't actually have the social life and close friends that I did in my dreams.
It's messed up when the people who care about you the most are constructs of your own unconscious mind.

So for me it can be a two edged sword. It can be an escape, or it can be one hell of a trigger. It all depends on the context, and how much I remember the next day.
This..It is messed up when the people who care about you are in you dreams. I can so relate.

·
Ego Sum Umbra Bellator
232 Posts
This..It is messed up when the people who care about you are in you dreams. I can so relate.
Yeah... my most memorable dreams (and also the most painful to think about) are the ones where I'm really social, happy, and content. Stuff involving being close to people, being a part of their lives, making a difference, feeling loved. :(

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I like it cos then I'm by myself (apart from my daughter), and I don't have to act any certain way or do anything, I can just be me. I get to come on here for a bit, and talk to similar people and then I can go to sleep cuddling my daughter. I don't tend to have trouble sleeping so then i just go to sleep fast and have nice dreams if I'm lucky.

·
In 'da 707
4,382 Posts
OMG i LOVE going to bed. It's the safest place ever. Feels so safe in the dark & surrounded by covers. No anxiety at all. I also really like being unconscious for a while and going somewhere else in dreams & having fun.

·
Big Boo's Haunt
3,980 Posts
I enjoy bedtime because some of the time you can go to bed without feeling guilty about wasting time. Though more often than not now, that too is time I should be spending doing stuff rather than sleeping.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
I love the process of falling to sleep. I have a good imagination, and for a little while, my life is how I want it to be.

...ehhh, kinda sad actually, but oh well.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'm not saying I'm severely depressed, but sometimes I just look forward to going to bed. That's when I'm the most relaxed during the day and of course when I wake up, usually for a few minutes I'm pretty calm and refreshed. I don't know if this has to do with SA or not, but sometimes if I'm stressed out a lot I just can't wait to go to bed and sleep it off, like ALOT.
Hehe funny post title. I must say, it is a great relief for me some days just to be going to bed at the end of the day. I do love that safe feeling being tucked up and knowing you won't have to deal with the world for at least the next 8-10 hours.

I know what you mean about the waking up thing and being calm and free of SA. It's an odd thing I've long thought about. It's almost like your SA-programming is not yet "fully loaded" and you're functioning without full personality, or baggage is probably a better of putting it. I sometimes find, in that early morning state, I'm much able to function socially easier..for example if there's an early morning delivery. I seem a lot warmer and friendlier, making conservation easier. Then about 10 minutes later, it's like a wall has gone up and a cold exterior emerges.

I would love to understand this more and why this early morning thing happens upon waking. Obviously it has some chemical basis, but is it just a case of a chemical blocking the SA, or is it more complex and a case of aspects of memory and personality etc not fully functioning briefly. More research should be done into this as it might hold some clues in how to treat SA or at least understand it better.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts