Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I look on the Facebook pages of other and see how many acquaintances and friends others have it makes me feel so sad and really hits home how much I have missed out. I can't even imagine someone wanting to take a photo with me ffs. I have one acquaintance who is a guy in my (very small populated) course around the same age and I have no idea how to ask him to hang out because I've never asked anyone that before! He probably has his own social life anyway.

I find myself going on more and more pointless drives to supermarkets just to be around people as I am so lonely. I even drive by bars at closing times just to see people, I'm not even sure why I do it as it just ends up depressing me to see people having fun and talking...motivation that I want to be like that someday, I guess.

·
Regretful still.
1,595 Posts
When I look on the Facebook pages of other and see how many acquaintances and friends others have it makes me feel so sad and really hits home how much I have missed out. I can't even imagine someone wanting to take a photo with me ffs. I have one acquaintance who is a guy in my (very small populated) course around the same age and I have no idea how to ask him to hang out because I've never asked anyone that before! He probably has his own social life anyway.

I find myself going on more and more pointless drives to supermarkets just to be around people as I am so lonely. I even drive by bars at closing times just to see people, I'm not even sure why I do it as it just ends up depressing me to see people having fun and talking...motivation that I want to be like that someday, I guess.
Do you and the acquaintance have anything in common? You can use that as a starting point for asking them to hang out.

For instance, I knew my coworker was into comics and video games as well, so I asked him if he wanted to check out Comic Con with me.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I went on a rant/rampage about using facebook in the wrong way earlier, it's so not worth beating yourself up about it. Leave it alone if you are just going to compare yourself to other people!!

Other than that, I would bite the bullet and ask the guy in your class to hang out.. maybe? The worst thing that can happen is you will still be in the position you are now! He might be a nice guy (there are plenty of us out there :p)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went on a rant/rampage about using facebook in the wrong way earlier, it's so not worth beating yourself up about it. Leave it alone if you are just going to compare yourself to other people!!

Other than that, I would bite the bullet and ask the guy in your class to hang out.. maybe? The worst thing that can happen is you will still be in the position you are now! He might be a nice guy (there are plenty of us out there :p)
He could awkwardly reject me?

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Half of those people on social sites are not even friends. How many people have more real friends than 5? Not just the people you sai hi and bye to :)

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Agreed with the post above. People also like to put up a front (especially on Facebook) to show off their social status, or only the more positive sides of their lives. I think Facebook leans towards the more superficial side anyways. 500 friends? I don't think the amount matters if you don't really have a close relationship with anyone. Besides, people might even be using you to boost their own popularity and whatnot.

·
Sloth King
1,828 Posts
Lets do some maths!
According to facebook I have 418 friends!
Lets say that at this very moment there are 8 people max between those 418 friends that are actually good friends that I meet up with etc etc
About 5 are relatives, and about 10 would be good friends from previous schools, ...

That's 23 people (might be a bit more, or a bit less)
That's about 18%
so no need to feel intimidated by it, it's just a dumb way of boasting just how social you are!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lets do some maths!
According to facebook I have 418 friends!
Lets say that at this very moment there are 8 people max between those 418 friends that are actually good friends that I meet up with etc etc
About 5 are relatives, and about 10 would be good friends from previous schools, ...

That's 23 people (might be a bit more, or a bit less)
That's about 18%
so no need to feel intimidated by it, it's just a dumb way of boasting just how social you are!
23 important people is still a lot, IMO.

·
Sloth King
1,828 Posts
23 important people is still a lot, IMO.
Those are 23 people that if I see them in public I'd adress them and talk to them about whatever, 8 of those are people that I'd actively do stuff with.
I do know that that is probably more than the average SA person here, but it's no insane amount

·
Registered
87 Posts
Is it that important to have tons of friends? i mean , i would rather have 1 close friend than 500 facebook friends. Aquaintances are a nice thing of course, but will any of those aquaintances help you when you need? or support you like friends do? seriously you shouldn't bother yourself too much with the fact you don't have lots of facebook friends, why don't you use that energy for something constructive for yourself instead?

·
Aimless
710 Posts
I think those people are bluffing. Those "friends" are mostly just vague acquaintances. You should try doing the same. It's not like people are going to be offended if you call them friends. You may worry that those you call friends in this way will think you presumptuous or pathetic, but even if that happens, it's not as bad as them thinking you're a hostile prick.

·
Patron St. of Mediocrity
3,188 Posts
I will never believe that anybody could have over 20 good friends, much less "hang out" type friends. Most of those people on Facebook will just boost up their friend count to make themselves look better. It's all a social competition. And superficiality is especially rampant on there as well.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Why would anybody care about how many friends other people have whether in real life or in facebook? I can't believe that people actually care about this stuff. I can barely deal with having one friend. Sometimes, even that is too much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts