Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I think about and focus on talking to one person as an individual, I can connect with them without anxiety - like if I were on a desert island with someone.. but where the anxiety comes in is not when I think about that person judging me, but about someone else observing the conversation and judging me - overhearing things and dismissing or disliking me.. like, feeling like I'm being watched from the outside, having someone judging my social performance, skills, what my actions and words reveal about me, or who or what I like, etc. Can anyone relate to that? Is that typical S.A.? I wonder if it's tied up w/ my OCD, if it's a different KIND of fear..

·
Registered
214 Posts
I kinda get this. If I'm having a conversation with one of my friends in public, I talk really softly, sort of to the point where they can't hear me sometimes, because I don't want to be overheard. It gets worse the quieter it is around.

·
Gimme Sympathy
126 Posts
I know exactly what you're saying here. Whenever I'm talking to someone in an environment with other people, I always think that the people around me are listening to every word I am saying and making judgments. I sometimes end up saying things that are incoherent or that I don't mean just because I feel that the people around me are listening in to me.

·
Registered
139 Posts
yup, the feeling for me is inevitable! everytime i try to talk to someone one on one, the feelings that people around us are judging me, come into play. i get very paranoid and tend to say things that dont make sense.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is probably paranoia?
I get that way too. I am on the metro and I feel like I'm being watched by so many eyes.
Hate this irrational feeling.
Yeah, good way to put it. It seems like an off-shoot of my social anxiety, I know it's irrational, but the feeling is intense. Maybe labelling it 'paranoia' will help - and I guess I can take off the tin-foil hat, now.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I get that in some situations, e.g. as a student working in the health system I can talk to my clients OK, but if my supervisor is watching I am terrified. I can still do the therapy, but I am scared about making chit chat when being watched by a third person.

·
Simon Says...
1,693 Posts
Yes, one thing I'm definitely very "protective" about is if I'm writing something I don't want people to see it. Or anything I've written.

Perhaps it may be OCD related in some way, but then I think SA and OCD are very interrelated anyway.

An interesting anecdote is that Howard Hughes (famous recluse and eccentric nutjob) used to believe that the phones in the Waldorf Astoria were the only phones in New York City that were safe from being tapped :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.