Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find when i'm anxious or depressed i have a habit of picking at acne, blackheads or other skin imperfections. It leads to having ugly scars and blemishes all over my body that take years to fade and in some cases has led to infections. I think it might be a coping mechanism for my anxiety but it is something i'm really trying to stop along with the anxiety. Has anyone else gone through a similar experience?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I ALWAYS pick at my face or other imperfections when I'm super stressed or anxious. I've been doing it for the past five years now. It's much worse when I'm more "hormonal" *cough menstruating cough* But I never leave scars by picking so much and have never caused an infection by doing so, either.

·
Registered
91 Posts
No, but I have a terrible habit of biting the skin covering the joints on my finger which makes it red and swollen. I also bite my nails.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's nice to know i'm not alone when it comes to picking or irritating skin. I think the reason i get scars is because i'm stressed a lot and things don't get a proper chance to heal before they are subject to more abuse.

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
I overdo it with the cleanliness. Take showers til my hair gets dry, use those pore strips until my skin gets irritated, and so on.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I hate that, I take really long showers and as soon as I get out I feel like I have to take a shower again because I feel like Im still not clean. I wash my hands like every five minutes too.
I can relate to that too, i wash my hands a lot. If i'm making a sandwich for example i wash 2-3 times. Once when i take the bread out, once after opening the mayo and meat packages then again after putting everything away.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I can relate to that too, i wash my hands a lot. If i'm making a sandwich for example i wash 2-3 times. Once when i take the bread out, once after opening the mayo and meat packages then again after putting everything away.
i do the same, but i never found a problem with doing so

·
Registered
388 Posts
ahh im exactly like that too! i pretty much never make sandwiches cuz i have to wash my hands before I get out the bread, then after I pull out the meat and everything too.

now that i think about it, im 10x worse with clothes. i have to wash my hands and then toss my shirt im gonna wear in the dryer. Wait 10 minutes then wash my hands again and take shirt out. then fold it then put it on a couple minutes later. so stupid but it bugs the hell outta me after i put it on if i dont.
woaahh, that's compulsive but interesting. always having warm shirts =D lol

·
learning...
663 Posts
Yes, I do this too. And what makes it worse is that those skin imperfections and spots, blackheads, etc, are things that I am extremely self-conscious about when I'm out in public, so picking or rubbing them just makes them worse, which in turn makes my anxiety worse, which then makes me pick more.... and so on and so on.

·
Registered
156 Posts
yup i do the same :(

"Yes, I do this too. And what makes it worse is that those skin imperfections and spots, blackheads, etc, are things that I am extremely self-conscious about when I'm out in public, so picking or rubbing them just makes them worse, which in turn makes my anxiety worse, which then makes me pick more.... and so on and so on."

·
In hiding
1,455 Posts
Yes! I'll do it to my face sometimes but more than anything I'll attack the blackheads on my upper arms (that just always seem to be there, lucky me :|). They when they've been burst open or whatever, marks will form from where I used my fingernails to squeeze them. My skin usually puffs up a bit then and my arms look really hideous until it dies down. My mum's seen it before but I told her it was just a heat rash, lol.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have had this problem with picking at my skin for ages (ten years). Haven't been able to stop yet. Going out with sores and scars I've made makes me really depressed/self concious. I'll stop for a few days and my skin will look great, but i just start up again anyway.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I pick my scabs and I bite my fingers until they are sore and bleed.
Its so unattractive and makes me feel insecure but its my defense mechanism for my insecurities. I remember quitting in grade two..and then starting again. So Ive been doing it for a really long time.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
I hate my acne. I keep picking at it.

·
New mum to summer rose
1,875 Posts
to me it feels more like self destruction because we are angry at ourselves for being this way, having a mental illness and for some reason take it out on our body, either when we are bored, anxious or just simply doing nothing

i used to pull my hair out, bite the inside of my mouth, i still do that and then i get ulcers and thats not fun. If i get a rash or skin irritation in the winter i would always try and make it worse by scratching it and putting alcohol on it

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yes until I actually acknowledged it and started taking meds. Now its nothing.

Too bad I have some scars now. Oh well.
You took meds specifically for this problem? Atleast you have put an end to it and the scarring can't get any worse.

My psychologist thought I should try using skin cleansing products so I am less likely to develop blackheads, etc that I pick at and also because I might feel better about getting the dirt out a more reasonable way. I've used cleansers and what not in the past but I just wasn't dedicated enough to use them regularly. I also bought these big, fleece gloves to put on when I feel the need to pick.
Anyone got any other ideas?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts