Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fear the other people on the road and it scares me. It really is not a good job for social anxiety.

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
I deliver auto parts. I mostly do locals, but I also do long out of town runs. I used to do a longer scheduled run before I went to college and cut my hours. The job makes me nervous sometimes, especially when I need to find businesses in cities that I'm not familiar with. It's not fun trying to find a new place while paying attention to busy traffic. Winter driving also makes me nervous. I wish I could call in sick for the whole winter. My company uses crappy vehicles, which only makes things more dangerous.

I was once in the front of a vehicle pileup that backed up freeway traffic for miles. I'm lucky that I didn't hit the vehicle in front of me or I would have gotten a ticket. The cars behind me were not very happy. Because I was in the front, I'm sure they blamed me :(

It is nice that I get to be alone when driving, though. It is kind of like getting payed to listen to the radio :D It's really boring when I'm stuck at the warehouse. I also don't need to deal with my coworkers while on the road(unless they radio me about problems:( ).

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Driving makes me nervous especially for others in cities for the reasons you have mentioned (busy cities, unfamiliar areas, winter, bad vehicles). I am trying self-hypnosis for this problem because it is specific. I don't have trust in actual hypnotists. I want to be the best driver I can be, or an above average driver, not prone to distraction.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
I am the wheelman.

http://news-briefs.ew.com/2009/05/vin-diesel-to-s.html (This is from a video game commercial a few years ago, but they might make a movie from this announcement 4 days ago)

But, to answer your question, I have driven plenty of vehicles even in foreign countries where they drive on the wrong side of the road. And in New Zealand, they have some weird rules about turning from the outside lane...

While I'm sure your anxiety about driving is real, I'm not sure if it should be described as 'social' anxiety. Maybe there needs to be a subset called 'driving' anxiety. If you played a video game or were on an empty track/field/parking lot, would you have any problems driving? Is it just the rules of the road and the inability to control other drivers? Do you worry or visualize crashing and the worst possible outcome all the time?

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have problems driving myself but for others I do. I am doing hypnosis and some other things. That's all I can do and hope for the best.

·
SnotRocketTime
404 Posts
you fear others doing something stupid and causing an accident while you are in the vicinity and possibly getting you involved? or you just worry about people driving in general, even if you're not on the road?

if you just want to stay safe yourself just pay attention to what is going on around you. scan those mirrors, change lanes/slow down/speed up to give cushion around you, leave yourself an out basically.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I used to deliver pizzas. Once I got over the initial anxiety from trying to figure out how where the hell to go, it was great. The restaurant I worked for had an abnormally large delivery area, so I'd be on deliveries sometimes for more than a half hour, or longer if I got lost. I'd talk on the phone or sing along to music for most of the day--I had so much freedom. Unfortunately I also had to do the majority of the dishes (there was a buffet) at the end of the day. The best part at the end of the night was calculating how much I made in tips. We were compensated hourly, plus a flat rate per delivery to cover gas. I held all the money for the day, then I just had to pay back to them the cost of each order, and I kept whatever was left over. I used to keep my own stats on how well I did for the day--avg tip per delivery, avg miles per delivery, etc. to estimate how well I did for the day. I think the most I ever made in tips in a single day was about $70, which was low by other chains' standards. That was mostly due to the large delivery area, which limited the maximum number of deliveries per day. It was still worth it though. I hate my job now, but it pays about five times better.

Thinking back, I remember a kid hired shortly after me that was painfully shy. I was shy as usual when I was first hired, but I eventually got to know people and was well liked. I remember the manager telling me he seemed like a guy who might go out on a delivery and get lost (like everyone does initially), but just quit and never come back out of shame. He didn't, but he did total his car on a delivery, an accident that was his fault. His driving privileges were taken away, and he ended up working in the kitchen permanently. He was still there at the time I left though. I wouldn't have had the humility to come back after that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts