Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my doctor today to tell her.about my SA. I coudn't help but break down into tears in front of her. Now im afraid of going back to her, because its going to be awkward. Has anyone been in a similar situation and if so what did you do?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
It happens all the time. The discomfort with her shouldn't last because of that, but if it does, you can always find a new doctor. Try not to worry about it :)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
You should actually feel good about breaking down. It shows that you're serious about getting help. The first psychiatrist I went to wouldn't help me because I didn't cry while describing my SA. And I'm a guy. "Most people are in tears when they come in here, but you seem calm"

Suffice it to say I didn't go back to that idiot.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I know
I started BAWLING, when I went for help! Don't be embarrassed about crying, doctors are used to it they aren't going to hold it against you. I wish you luck.

·
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
738 Posts
You should actually feel good about breaking down. It shows that you're serious about getting help. The first psychiatrist I went to wouldn't help me because I didn't cry while describing my SA. And I'm a guy. "Most people are in tears when they come in here, but you seem calm"

The Hell sort of psychiatrist is that?

What exactly did they say? "Oh no, you seem too happy to have SA, go home"?

Some people can have a positive outlook or on the other end of the scale, blunted affect.

·
Registered
163 Posts

Same with my general doctor. I rehearse what I'm going to say 100x in my head for days just not to look like a retard and waste my doc's time and all I get is "you seem perfectly fine to me young man".

·
SASsy
18,100 Posts
I think that's a common experience for all doctors. They're mostly seeing people who are in a lot of pain and misery. Nobody goes to the doctor and says; "Hey Doc, I'm great. I just wanted to stop in and say 'Hi' ". Probably most of their patients cry and doctors have heard it all. Nothing you could say would sound unusual to them.

·
Sooo..come here often?
204 Posts
I went to my doctor today to tell her.about my SA. I coudn't help but break down into tears in front of her. Now im afraid of going back to her, because its going to be awkward. Has anyone been in a similar situation and if so what did you do?
I cry in front of my doc all the time. He's gotten used to it by now. I always feel so embarrassed but then I realize they've seen it all and crying is probably one of the lesser things they've had to deal with, so keeping that in mind helps me feel a bit better about breaking down...

He keeps a box of tissues handy so I bet I'm not the only one who cries:)

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
The first psychiatrist I went to wouldn't help me because I didn't cry while describing my SA. And I'm a guy. "Most people are in tears when they come in here, but you seem calm"
Wow, so if u are not in tears, you don't suffer as much ? That's gotta be the dumbest thing I ever heard.

Some ppl exteriorize, some ppl don't, what it shows on the outside isn't always what u feel inside.

·
Among the ashes
1,464 Posts
I couldn't make it through the first sentence without tears burning in my eyes. I totally broke down and she had to help me get the words out...lol That was back when I went to my PCP about my anxiety/depression years ago. But I did the same thing with the psychiatrist I've seen lately. I haven't cried as much with other therapist but this time around is so different. If anything it shows you're definitely in need of some kind of help and they pay attention, (I would expect that to be the case anyway...they are there to help) so try your best to focus more on what you want to say rather than about any awkwardness.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts