48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Example:

when i was 9-10 years old i was very quiet in school
11-12 i changed and went to very loud and being almost overconfident
13 starting at a new school went being shy and reserved
14-15 Very loud and confident again lol, friends with everyone
16-17 Basically a hermit :|

Its strange but there's no other way i can explain it, does anyone else have a similar experience of just absolutely changing who you are out of the blue without a conscious effort or could it just be the ages are typical of those types of changes.

·
in SA recovery
71 Posts
Yeah, I did have some social backflips...from relative periods of being a complete loser at school to being fairly outgoing. Now I'm at one of those periods of being fairly well-liked again (maybe because it's university). I don't know why it happens, except that I moved a lot when I was a kid, and depending on the environment (were the kids nice?) and the age (middle school was hell), I changed from relatively good social standing to not wanting to leave the house.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Example:

Its strange but there's no other way i can explain it, does anyone else have a similar experience of just absolutely changing who you are out of the blue without a conscious effort or could it just be the ages are typical of those types of changes.
That's almost me to a T!!!!!! I used to be made fun of in elementary school and that took a toll on my confidence. After a certain time I just became stuck in this rutt and now I won't evolve at all. I wish I could have the confidence I had back then. It was utter freedom!! I feel like I can never get in that mindset. There's a point where I was very popular and used to be asked out by loads of guys. I still have those moments where out of the blue I am extremely loud, confident social, and having fun. I can be like dr. Jekyll and mr. hyde lol.

·
PASTAMANIA BROTHER
441 Posts
Yeah you could definitely say that. When I first started out in school I was very "normal." Had lots of friends and didn't think about stuff like being self conscious. Same thing with middle school, I was this carefree kid who was really goofy and didn't care about what anyone thought. I was really random and I guess sort of like the class clown. Some people were obviously annoyed by me while others liked that aspect of me. Then in high school I think I started to notice the fact that it annoyed some people, so I calmed myself and I guess it got to the point where I'm at now. I care TOO much and that old crazy me seems to be gone and I don't know how to get the old me back. All of my personality is suppressed inside me and I'm clueless how to get it out. So now I'm this blank guy who finds it hard to show any emotion. I've become boring and I don't even feel like myself. I lost ALL of my friends and I find it hard to take care of important business. It's really holding me back. One of the worst things ever.

I want the old me back. :(

·
My head looks huge...
78 Posts
Example:

Wow, it's almost creepy how familiar that sounds.Save for some of the age brackets, that sounds a lot like my experience.
I was painfully shy in elementary school, until 4th grade, when I "came out of my shell" and was very talkative (thanks to my small group of friends that I had met that year). That lasted until middle school (6th grade), when I became very quiet again...people made fun of me for it, and I can't seem to shake this grudge I have against them deep down.
For what seemed like only 7th grade, I was unusually hyper, and it actually scared a few people, because I was so drastically different. I would go up to the "popular" kids, and be very obnoxious to them, in return for the way they treated me and my friends. I had the worst mood swings then, though...I tried to kill myself in December of that year, and wound up in a children's mental ward for about a week :/. My doctor says that all of that craziness was actually because of the Paxil that she put me on.
After that year, I just became quiet again...A lot of my friends moved away, and I sort of collapsed into myself, barely talking to anyone. My SA got steadily worse all the way through high school--I'm 21 now, and it's really just starting to lift a bit. I can't help but attribute that to the fact that, for the first time in about 9 years, I'm not on any medications...

(sorry for babbling...bad habit)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.