Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Easy
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, dont know where else to put this.

But erm, Has anyone here checked them selfs in to a mental hospital?, and if so whats it like?.

I'm just sitting here thinking how i can get better and i just can't see meds or therapy doing me any good, i mean i can't even talk to myself in the mirror let alone sit down with someone whos doing a job to tell me i'm being an idiot. Or be doped up with drugs.

I think the best thing for me to do is to check my self in to a mental hospital to get away from the environment and people im around. I just need some advice. . .

Not the best thing to be thinking about 2 days before xmas :|

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Sorry, dont know where else to put this.

But erm, Has anyone here checked them selfs in to a mental hospital?, and if so whats it like?.

I'm just sitting here thinking how i can get better and i just can't see meds or therapy doing me any good, i mean i can't even talk to myself in the mirror let alone sit down with someone whos doing a job to tell me i'm being an idiot. Or be doped up with drugs.

I think the best thing for me to do is to check my self in to a mental hospital to get away from the environment and people im around. I just need some advice. . .

Not the best thing to be thinking about 2 days before xmas :|
I'm really sorry that you have anxiety that bad. I don't know what mental hospitals are like. I think you should consider medicines though. They are really our only solution to manage SA.

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
I did back in 2006.

It wasn't so bad. I was there for a week and a half. I managed to get my depression under control, and then checked myself out.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Kinda was in the same boat as you, visited a therapist and found it to be non-helpful so I decided to give a mental health place a shot.

Not sure what it's like in the UK but I voluntarily checked into a mental clinic once in the states due to an unexplainable sudden spike in anxiety and a recommendation from my doc's assistant. I was thoroughly creeped out the whole time by the "Fort Knox" look of the interior: grey walls, reinforced steel doors, and fake windows/fake sunlight. I also sensed an indifference and insincerity from the staff interviewing me, treating me like a ticking-time bomb until I satisfied their curiosity enough for them to realize I'm genuinely looking for help, but the whole ordeal left a bad taste in my mouth so I left right after the interview.

Like I said earlier, I have no idea how things go down in the UK, but I would treat a mental hospital as a last resort.

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
I guess I'm lucky. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that it was in a real hospital-hospital, and not just a psych ward. But the people there were nice, and none of the other people were scary...I was with a bunch of young people that were depressed like I was, so we all leaned on each other and formed a close bond.

In fact, I made several friendships from it. And kept in contact afterwards, although I've lost contact with all of them.

But, for example, there was a girl there who lost her parents, lost her boyfriend, lost her home, and then couldn't stop crying...and tried to commit suicide. She was a beautiful person, who just needed people to talk to and lean on. There wasn't a bad apple in the bunch!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Never checked myself in, but pretty much was committed to one after a major breakdown(worst one yet I think) like 5 years ago. It wasn't really a mental hospital, it was more like the psych ward of a real hospital. Was there for a few weeks I think. Wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Haha, I enjoyed the food and it just felt calm overall. It was crazy seeing and hearing the stories of others, some made mine sound insignificant. One guy, just a few years older than me, was telling me how he envied how I had my family visit often and that hardly many people visited him (made me feel like crap haha). Felt much better upon leaving.

·
Spectacular Member
21,089 Posts
I've gone to the psych ward 5 times and stayed in a mental hospital twice. I don't think they would let me in unless I was a threat to myself or others. They don't seem to care if you just have anxiety, they would just tell you to get lost here. They would rather house elderly patients suffering from dementia who should really be in some nursing home NOT hogging all the rooms and denying young-middle aged people who still have not got a chance to live their lives yet. But I guess they don't care...

·
SASsy
18,100 Posts
Nope. I'm sure some people have thought I should though. :p

You say you don't want meds, well, if you go to the hospital that's what you're going to get, probably lots of them.

I find meds are the only way to control this.

·
Banned
1,299 Posts
I just got out a week ago. Its really a last resort sort of decision. I was on my last rope very stressed out and on the edge breaking down. I was diagnosed manic bipolar/ schizophrenic, having unusual thinking.
If you check yourself in just know they'll try to be in control of you, tell you what kind of meds you need and how long you should stay.. Some people rather be in a psych ward that in normal outside society, i thought i would but It felt like a cold place and i was regretting after the first couple hours. ...but its what you make of it that matters. I liked the art activities and made friends there. It felt like CBT except you'll be around ppl whos problems are way beyond social anxiety...so it might just make you feel better and learn not to take SA so seriously.
You'll see the good side of being there if you learn to be patient and participate to get better. The whole point is to get you the right sort of medication and feel ready to function outside again, they'll try to keep you until you prove it to them.
i checked n a day before thanksgiving.
Limited visitations, the tv room is shared so its not so comfortable like being locked up at home,

·
Easy
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I heard that they do group therapy ect, i think something like that would help me but i have to be forced in to it because im not going to go out of my own will. Same with meds, i'll be willing to take meds for a week or 2 if it means it'll help me but its not something i want to be on for years. I've been med free all my life and im still alive so i think that says a lot, dont really wana change that.

I dont know, it just seems like the only option i have and from whats been said so far, it doesn't seem that bad. Winterstale story is something i could really do with.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
I wouldn't go to the my nearest mental hospital here, it has some seriously messed up and dangerous people. Your one might be better, but I'd go along to your local mind http://www.mind.org.uk/ instead. You'll get help and support in a friendly environment, I'd recommend giving that a go first.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I went to the psych ward after a mental breakdown, didn't check in though.
There was piss all over the floor coming out of one of the rooms and a bunch of schitz people. Oh and the doors had 4 bolts on them...

Never want to go there in my life.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes. I went to one after I attempted suicide and it was a good place to recover and rest (though it was only a week before they moved me on because they needed my bed for more serious cases). I didn't have private health cover so unless you have that it really isn't a long term treatment option. If you are in a really bad place and feel unsafe then go to your nearest hospital. Being in hospital can give you the space and support you need to put things in perspective and also to look at medication and other treatment options. I did a lot of group sessions during my short stay, on issues like: anxiety and mindfulness, stress management, assertiveness and managing relationships, self-esteem, returning to work and time management, and managing alcohol and drug problems. It was very helpful to me, but at some point I had to leave and learn to deal with "life". Take care and try to be gentle with yourself.

·
roarrrr
4,876 Posts
I hate to discourage people who feel they need to check into a psych hospital, but I kinda need to do that here. These hospitals are meant for short-term stays, for people that are in danger to themselves or others, or in need of immediate medication adjustment.

The group therapies are actually just kinda there to give the patients something to do to keep them sane. They really are not quality group therapies at all. You say you don't want medication, but unfortunately, the type of hospital you're talking about is a "psychiatric" hospital, meaning its focus is on stabilizing you on medication. Which might not be a bad idea, medication can really help with anxiety if you want to try it.

But yeah - a mental hospital really isn't a fun place away from home. I've been there twice, once for a suicide attempt, the second for mania that required immediate medication. It's good if you're looking to spend hours just staring at a white wall, or talking to the other mental patients. That's really all you can do in there. It actually ended up making me more insane when I was in there. Both times when I went, I had an emotional breakdown because my freedom was taken from me & I couldn't leave. The locked doors get to you after awhile, when you finally have the epiphany that you are not free like you used to be.

·
Skeletal wreck of man...
1,492 Posts
I am terrified of being sent to one against my will, so I would never check into one voluntarily. I don't know what the process is or the requirements, but I have made the decision to tell my therapist about my cutting, and i'm afraid this will make her deem me a danger to myself.

If I were to go to a place like that....especially against my will...it would be embarassing.

·
Grind
2,433 Posts
Three times.

First time sucked. The other two were great, and I love talking sh*t about it cause I have papers to prove I'm mental. So when I hear everyone say they physco I think it's funny.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts